This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Help Me With Quinoa

organicmama

organicmama Contributor

I want to love quinoa. I really do. I love the idea of a high protein grain and something different than the norm. I have a wide palate typically and dint hesitate to buy 10 lbs of good quality organic quinoa when it went on sale.

However, I just haven't found a way to like it yet. I tried a breakfast recipe, cooked in broth (not too bad), and then toasted it and cooked like rice (yuck, tasted burnt). I am typically a pretty good cook and love new ingredients and recipes.

So, help me love quinoa. Tell me how to cook it so we enjoy it. Give me good recipes. I love quinoa pasta too, just not the smelly flour and grain itself.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I love quinoa in place of rice or in a salad. Love quinoa/corn pasta.

I tried quinoa breakfast cereal (flakes) and almost threw up.there's a bitter undertaste. Ick. Almost ruined the pasta experience for me.

So, stick without as a whole grain used sparingly? Perhaps destroying the whole grain brings out a bitterness?

kenlove Rising Star

I love the grain with a ton of fine diced onions, peppers stripped ear of corn and whatever else is lying around. First cook it in the rice cooker )1 to 1.5) using veggie broth I make and garlic. Sweat all the veggies while thats cooking then mix it together. I dont use salt but will use braggs aminos with it or anothert salt free spice.

I want to love quinoa. I really do. I love the idea of a high protein grain and something different than the norm. I have a wide palate typically and dint hesitate to buy 10 lbs of good quality organic quinoa when it went on sale.

However, I just haven't found a way to like it yet. I tried a breakfast recipe, cooked in broth (not too bad), and then toasted it and cooked like rice (yuck, tasted burnt). I am typically a pretty good cook and love new ingredients and recipes.

So, help me love quinoa. Tell me how to cook it so we enjoy it. Give me good recipes. I love quinoa pasta too, just not the smelly flour and grain itself.

kareng Grand Master

Me too!

Reba32 Rookie

I like it with some lemon juice, olive oil and fresh mint over a salad with some roasted chick peas and pine nuts :) Try this recipe

1 540-ml can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

3 tbsp olive oil, divided

1 tsp brown sugar (I omitted this, I don't use sugar, even in small amounts, it's quite nice without it)

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more for vinaigrette

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions

zest of 1 lemon

3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)

1 tsp honey (which I also omitted)

salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 tbsp chopped fresh mint

1 bunch arugula, large leaves torn into bite-sized pieces, about 1 cup

1/4 cup toasted pine nuts

Preheat oven to 400F. Combine chickpeas, 1 tbsp olive oil, (brown sugar), cumin, kosher salt, cinnamon and red pepper flakes in a bowl and toss well. Transfer mixture to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast in oven, shaking pan occasionally, about 20 minutes, until chickpeas are golden brown and crispy.

Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to directions. Fluff with a fork, set aside.

In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine lemon zest and juice, (honey) and remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Cover with lid and shake until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in mint and set aside.

To serve, toss arugula and quinoa together with half the vinagrette and divide evenly among four bowls. Spoon roasted chickpeas over top and garnish with pine nuts. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette, if desired.

Roda Rising Star

Make sure you are rinsing it very well. It has a bitter coating on it and if you don't rinse it it will taste off. I have made this several times and love it. Good for the cool weather days. It is a peruvian quinoa stew. It is vegetarian, but it probably would be really good made with chicken stock and bits of chicken too. I'm having this for supper tomorrow night. I may cut up some corn tortillas and fry them and add them to the top with a dollop of sour cream or shredded cheddar cheese on top.

Open Original Shared Link

sa1937 Community Regular

The Ancient Harvest brand of quinoa is already washed and needs no prerinsing. I don't know how the price compares to other quinoa but I have found Ancient Harvest at Wal-Mart.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

How are you making it?

I rinse the quinoa (important step to remove the saponins that taste awful), put 1 part quinoa and 2 parts water in a pan, bring the water to a boil, stir well, cover, turn the heat off, and let it sit for at least 20 minutes (30 is even better). If any of it is sticking to the bottome of the pan... well, you're cooking it wrong! :)

kenlove Rising Star

I found cooking in a rice cooker is very easy-- I forget not everyone has a rice cooker like here in Hawaii but if I had to get one just for quinoa I would. Always comes out perfect and keeps it warm until your ready to eat.

How are you making it?

I rinse the quinoa (important step to remove the saponins that taste awful), put 1 part quinoa and 2 parts water in a pan, bring the water to a boil, stir well, cover, turn the heat off, and let it sit for at least 20 minutes (30 is even better). If any of it is sticking to the bottome of the pan... well, you're cooking it wrong! :)

lemontree1 Rookie

It is really good with lots of butter and frozen peas cooked in. We've mixed it with marinara, chunks of cheese and browned ground beef, then used it to stuff peppers or just chop the peppers and add to the mixture. I typically just put some in a bowl, top with marinara and cheese then microwave it until the cheese is melty. Tastes a bit like pizza. :-) On that note, I may just try it one of these days with real pizza toppings-- pineapple or caramelized onions or mushrooms or something else.

Roda Rising Star

The Ancient Harvest brand of quinoa is already washed and needs no prerinsing. I don't know how the price compares to other quinoa but I have found Ancient Harvest at Wal-Mart.

I rinse it regardless if it is already washed. I don't think they rinse it good enough, at least for my taste buds.

lucia Enthusiast

organicmama,

I'm curious - did you enjoy it more after rinsing it thoroughly?

• 1 month later...
Sharon Newbie

organicmama,

I'm curious - did you enjoy it more after rinsing it thoroughly?

I bought the grain, rinsed it well (or so I thought) but we didn't like it. Now I'm wondering what to do with the rest of the bag. Love quinoa flakes, use it cooked as a breakfast ceral, and in place of oatmeal in any recipe that calls for oatmeal.

Archived