This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Popcorn Bother Anyone Else?

Omma

Omma Rookie

I ate home popped corn last night, with butter, and now this morning my stomach is rebelling,slight headache and I wish I could throw up. These are not my typical glutenized symptoms.

I've been gluten free for 6 months and am working with a naturopath to get my gut healed. Is popcorn too harsh to digest? If I butter it, it's much worse. Just sounded so good last night, thought I'd try it....

Even before going gluten free, buttered popcorn has upset my stomach, but other forms of corn are fine.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lynnelise Apprentice

I get terrible pains where my gallbladder used to be each time I eat popcorn. I don't think it's gluten related as that is not one of my usual symptoms. Perhaps it's just hard to digest.

Also if you have diverticulitis the hulls can cause a flare.

saintmaybe Collaborator

It might be the butter. I had buttered beans for dinner last night, and had a pretty immediate gluten reaction, although there was no gluten in my meal. Since my celiac set in, I've found I can't do fatty, rich, or greasy foods, regardless of gluten content. Too bad too, because I'm trying to gain weight.

Omma Rookie

I get terrible pains where my gallbladder used to be each time I eat popcorn. I don't think it's gluten related as that is not one of my usual symptoms. Perhaps it's just hard to digest.

Also if you have diverticulitis the hulls can cause a flare.

I don't have diverticulitis, but I'm thinking the hulls are just too....scratchy. I feel like my intestines are being chewed up.

Omma Rookie

It might be the butter. I had buttered beans for dinner last night, and had a pretty immediate gluten reaction, although there was no gluten in my meal. Since my celiac set in, I've found I can't do fatty, rich, or greasy foods, regardless of gluten content. Too bad too, because I'm trying to gain weight.

I've noticed that too, I don't do well with fatty, rich or greasy foods. Popcorn on it's own isn't too bad, I need to limit it, but boy when I add the butter, then it's bad. I'd forgotten how much it bothered me. I'm bummed because I've felt awesome for a whole week now! :)

sa1937 Community Regular

I have problems with popcorn, too, and it used to be my favorite snack. I pop my own in the microwave (plain ol' popcorn) and use light olive oil on it. I can't put my finger on why it bothers me. It's certainly not gluten.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be too high fiber or I may possibly have a problem with some corn products. No problem with cornstarch, for example. It'll probably remain a mystery and I'll probably reintroduce it in a few months. Before diagnosis I could have eaten it every day (but didn't) without a problem.

bartfull Rising Star

I can't eat corn at all, but I have discovered that if you break up a couple of rice cakes into popcorn sized pieces, melt some butter, warm the ricecake in the microwave for just a FEW seconds, then pour the butter over it, it tastes so much like popcorn you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Omma Rookie

I can't eat corn at all, but I have discovered that if you break up a couple of rice cakes into popcorn sized pieces, melt some butter, warm the ricecake in the microwave for just a FEW seconds, then pour the butter over it, it tastes so much like popcorn you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

That sounds pretty good! I'll have to try it. Thanks!

Omma Rookie

I have problems with popcorn, too, and it used to be my favorite snack. I pop my own in the microwave (plain ol' popcorn) and use light olive oil on it. I can't put my finger on why it bothers me. It's certainly not gluten.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be too high fiber or I may possibly have a problem with some corn products. No problem with cornstarch, for example. It'll probably remain a mystery and I'll probably reintroduce it in a few months. Before diagnosis I could have eaten it every day (but didn't) without a problem.

Popcorn has always given me a headache if I eat too much, don't know why, but it's never effected me like this! I'm feeling pretty lousy right now and I was doing so well! I agree it might just be too high in fiber.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Does butter bother you at any other times? . . . Just checking to see if it's the dairy or the popcorn . . . and yes, I think popcorn can be hard to digest - particularly the hulls which you wouldn't have to deal with in a product with corn starch or corn flour or corn meal.

Bartful's rice cakes w/butter might be an interesting experiment for you. It does sound like something you might be able to use to scratch that buttered popcorn itch when you get it.

MJ-S Contributor

Saw this thread on popcorn, and seeing as how thanksgiving is coming up I just couldn't resist posting this "recipe":

Thought this sounded good! Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing ingredient-imagine that! When I found this recipe I thought it was perfect for people like me who are just not sure how to tell when the turkey is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Try it and see!

15 lb. turkey

1 cup melted butter

1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good)

1 cup un-popped popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT IS BEST)

Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan making sure the neck end is toward the front of the oven, not the back. After about 4 hours listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey's ass blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room,.... it's done!

And you thought I didn't cook...

Omma Rookie

Saw this thread on popcorn, and seeing as how thanksgiving is coming up I just couldn't resist posting this "recipe":

Thought this sounded good! Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing ingredient-imagine that! When I found this recipe I thought it was perfect for people like me who are just not sure how to tell when the turkey is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Try it and see!

15 lb. turkey

1 cup melted butter

1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good)

1 cup un-popped popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT IS BEST)

Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan making sure the neck end is toward the front of the oven, not the back. After about 4 hours listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey's ass blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room,.... it's done!

And you thought I didn't cook...

I love it! Thanks I needed the laugh!! :)

Debbypete Newbie

I have found that if I have a pig out on corn chips for example I itch like crazy. There is one gluten site that tries to sell you their book, though will let you look at a couple of powerpoints that corn is another type of gluten that can affect people just as much as regular gluten. Don't take my word for it, go look for it. ;)

heidi g. Contributor

I ate some last night~ doesn't really affect me to much. I put extra butter on it too. i have a problem eating corn tortillas or cornbread. Weird how popcorn doesn't bother me but other stuff made with corn does...

Debbypete Newbie

mmm, maybe there is something else in there then, might not be the corn, I will have to suss that one out :D

mushroom Proficient

Of all corn products, popcorn was the last one I had to give up :huh:

ciamarie Rookie

It might also make a difference whether it's organic or not? A good amount of corn in the U.S. is GMO, which I discovered when I was researching excema. I'd been avoiding corn for years, and recently started to occasionally have organic popcorn popped in coconut oil, and it's been o.k. I stick to organic because I read that will mean it's non-gmo. Unless it specifically mentions being non-gmo, I did find some corn chips that say that.

mushroom Proficient

Yes, I always ate organic corn. Garden of Eatin' corn chips are non-GMO.

Archived