Chad Sines

Soy

Rate this topic

How many of you die a horrible death with soy? I just had some reese cups last night and felt like i was going to croak. Wondering if it was from soy content. I have felt the same way when i consumed vitamin D with soybean oil. Just recently realized that vegetable oil is often soybean oil. It seems like a bunch of little pieces may be falling in place. My issues with soy seem much different than gluten, assuming it really is a soy issue.

I am almost tempted to do a shot of soy vegetable oil one day to know for sure...prolly not a good idea.

Hmmmmm..

Very curious indeed.

I am about ready to replace my GI system. If you want to trade, just let me know. :)

I am about ready to replace my GI system. If you want to trade, just let me know. :)

As bad as it is, I think I will keep mine -- at least it is one I am familiar with :P

How many of you die a horrible death with soy? I just had some reese cups last night and felt like i was going to croak. Wondering if it was from soy content. I have felt the same way when i consumed vitamin D with soybean oil. Just recently realized that vegetable oil is often soybean oil. It seems like a bunch of little pieces may be falling in place. My issues with soy seem much different than gluten, assuming it really is a soy issue.

I am almost tempted to do a shot of soy vegetable oil one day to know for sure...prolly not a good idea.

Hmmmmm..

Very curious indeed.

oh honey, you sooooo do not want mine! :lol:

The only way to isolate a food to see if you are intolerant is to eat something plain.

A Reese's cup could mean soy lecithin or it could be the chocolate or the peanut butter or sugar, or, or, or ....and you'd just be guessing.

If you really, really want to know if soy is a problem, eat some edamame or tofu PLAIN. NOTHING else. That's how you tell.

Hi Chad,

Soy hurts me hard. After several months of going soy free, I'm tolerating soy lecethin now. (That's in all chocolate I think, so that's pretty important.) :)

Hang in there!

I had not even thought about soy lecithin to be honest until just recently. I was more looking at soybean oil. D'oh.

I had not even thought about soy lecithin to be honest until just recently. I was more looking at soybean oil. D'oh.

Some people can handle the soy lecithin, others can't. Same for the soybean oil. I have added back soy lecithin but still avoid the oil.

The lecithin doesn't bother me but soy flour or soymilk, major major pain. Soybean oil has been okay. I have no idea why.

I guess my body just cringes when I see soy or soya (unless followed by lecithin) :blink: May try oil someday, but in the meantime avoid anything that says "vegetable oil" because that includes canola, safflower and sunflower too and one never knows what one will get :rolleyes:

I can't handle even traces of soya. I have neuro symptoms, the worst of which is a crushing depression, emotional confusion, temptation to self-harm. Then headaches, pain, reflux. Last time I got symptoms from eating a single piece of shrimp cooked in a jambalaya with soya-containing sausages. Before that I got symptoms from washing my face with a shower soap that contained soybean oil.

I avoid soya lecithin as well, because I feel like I reacted to it once upon a time. I've chewed pieces of gum with the lecithin in it once or twice without symptoms, but I don't chance it anymore. It's actually kinda nice that this rules out so many candies for me, because I used to have a raging sweet tooth, and having to avoid soya lecithin (which is in practically anything that contains chocolate) helps me rein it in.

in the States, vegetable oil = soybean oil. Crisco and vegetable shortening is all soybean shortening. I wish they'd just label the damn vegetables in the oil rather than hide behind "vegetable", especially considering most "vegetable oil" in the US contains ONE ingredient which is SOY.

here in Europe "vegetable oil" usually = rapeseed (canola) oil or sunflower oil. which is nice. I don't have to avoid things that list veggie oil or shortening or vegetable fat in the ingredients. (soya will be listed, due to its being an allergen, if it is contained in the product)

You will also find soy as part of the vegetable broth in canned meats and tuna. I found out the hard way. Soy hits me almost as hard as gluten and like gluten, it seems to be everywhere.