This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reaction But To What?

spryng

spryng Rookie

Ok So I've been Gluten Free for 14 days as of today and I must say I haven't felt this good in two years! Yesterday though something made me sick, bloating and god awful belches that was like rotten eggs.. Here is what I ate yesterday so maybe someone can help me figure out what it might have been?? Everything was 100% gluten-free so it had to be something else..

B- 1 fried egg, 1 hashbrown, homemade gluten-free biscuit and glass of milk.

snack- chips with cream cheese/salsa dip

L- 1/2 3 muskateer bar

D- gluten-free spaghetti with meat sauce

snack - chips with cream cheese/salsa dip

ok so it was a big eating day for me, I go really light during the week so I can splurge on the weekends and I still lose weight each week eating like this but my concern is around 3-4 pm I started to feel bloated and the belching began and it lasted ALL night.. awful. I'm a belly sleeper and I could not put pressure on my stomach.. so I guess I'm trying to figure out if it could be the egg or was it the milk? maybe the cream cheese? anyone ever deal with this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I would vote for the milk/lactose, which most of us do not tolerate initially. Cut out all dairy for a week (in case it was the cream cheese too), then have another glass of milk for breakfast - that should tell you. Eat eggs. If that works, try cream cheese - that will tell you if you have to eliminate casein as well as lactose. If you still have problems cut out both. If necessary, then test eggs. When you do not make the lactase enzyme (at the tips of the villi in the small intestine) the milk just sits there and ferments and putrefies and produces gas and diarrhea.

ciamarie Rookie

Or maybe the 3 musketeer bar? Are they gluten-free? I know I bought some small milky way bars at the end of October, just before I started eating a gluten-free diet, and didn't have any kids come by and discovered I can't eat them because they have barley ingredients. Otherwise I'd be more suspicious of the milk over the egg because celiacs who are new to eating gluten-free tend to have a secondary dairy intolerance. Once their digestion heals, some can eat dairy again.

Edit: It appears mushroom gave you the dairy answer first, didn't mean to be repetitve!

sora Community Regular

Ok So I've been Gluten Free for 14 days as of today and I must say I haven't felt this good in two years! Yesterday though something made me sick, bloating and god awful belches that was like rotten eggs.. Here is what I ate yesterday so maybe someone can help me figure out what it might have been?? Everything was 100% gluten-free so it had to be something else..

L- 1/2 3 muskateer bar

ok so it was a big eating day for me, I go really light during the week so I can splurge on the weekends and I still lose weight each week eating like this but my concern is around 3-4 pm I started to feel bloated and the belching began and it lasted ALL night.. awful. I'm a belly sleeper and I could not put pressure on my stomach.. so I guess I'm trying to figure out if it could be the egg or was it the milk? maybe the cream cheese? anyone ever deal with this?

May be the fried egg. I can eat scrambled or fully cooked any time and be ok but if I eat a fried one I get awful belching and upset stomach.

Could be tomato, that's a lot in one day so early in to gluten-free.

spryng Rookie

I'm pretty sure the 3 muskateer is gluten-free.. it was on a halloween list on this site when I did a search and the ingredients didn't list anything that sounded like gluten.. I can check on that too..

the idea about eliminating lactose for a week sounds good.. I'm still not sure what casein is, gonna have to look into that, is that in all dairy products? I read somewhere too that some people can be lactose intolerant but cheese doesn't effect them? I do eat a lot of cheese and no reaction so far so I was curious about that as well..

Glutinator Girl Rookie

L- 1/2 3 muskateer bar

Have you checked all labels on what you ate?

I'm not sure where you are but hash browns can have a coating,and chck the meat sauce too, but you did have a fair bit of dairy which can make you sick as well, Its hard sometimes to know what is making you feel yuk.

spryng Rookie

so if it's the fried egg then maybe give my stomach a rest from all the above then try each item one at a time?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

spryng Rookie

the hashbrowns were homemade, just shredded potato with salt and pepper and lightly fried... the sauce was 100% gluten-free per the label.. yeah it was a big day, I won't even tell you what I ate on saturday, LOL like I said I eat super light monday through friday then I eat what I like sat and sun which I'm losing 1.5-2 lbs a week this way for the past 5 months I'm down 28 lbs so I'm sticking to what works, LOL

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I went back and forth on whether it was dairy or egg bothering me too...for several months in fact. In the end..it was both. Ugh... no egg, no dairy for me....and then soy started bothering me.

spryng Rookie

yes soy bothers me too! makes me itch or upset stomach, but mostly itch... crazy

Cathey Apprentice

When I was diagnosed late Oct, my Dr. said no milk or lactose for 3 weeks. Time to give the villi time to heal, the enzymes in the dairy are not good in healing time. Thanksgiving weekend I had cheese cake and then 2 days of grilled cheese sandwiches. OMG what a horrible time the pains were unbelievable. Even now I will only have cheese in moderation once a week and it still bothers me. I still use milk in my morning coffee, so far so good!

Try cutting out the cheese and dairy for a few weeks, then induce them little @ a time. Hope your feeling better soon.

Cathey

spryng Rookie

Thanks Cathey! I think that is great advice, I'm definitely gonna cut it out and see how I fare once my little villi's heal some more.

melikamaui Explorer

.. I'm still not sure what casein is, gonna have to look into that, is that in all dairy products? I read somewhere too that some people can be lactose intolerant but cheese doesn't effect them? I do eat a lot of cheese and no reaction so far so I was curious about that as well..

Casein is the protein found in all dairy.

sa1937 Community Regular

Spryng, Lactaid milk is 100% lactose-free. While I did buy that for over a year, I never was a milk drinker per se. I pretty much gave up dairy for about 9 months and then slowly added hard cheeses. Now I seem to be able to tolerate dairy products just fine but I am much older than you so figure it took me longer. Of course, if you are casein intolerant, that wouldn't work.

The one thing to watch for in candy bars besides obvious gluten grains is malt, which is derived from barley.

And when you're new to eating gluten-free, it seems we can react to most anything and everything. I never could quite pinpoint it but assume I was still healing.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Three Musketeers don't contain gluten ingredients, but I can't tolerate them frequently. Don't know why, just assume cc. same thing happens if I eat out more than 1-2x a week...I can tell I got into "something" (and gluten is the only food I eliminate).

Getting glutened can be a cumulative thing - which is why they advise Celiacs not to eat large volumes of processed food in one day. You can get 5 ppm here, 5 there...it adds up = a glutening.

Most likely culprit is dairy given the stage you're at. Or, could just be your body isn't ready for a larger volume of food, especially processed food. You did have quite a bit of processed stuff in one day.

Your body is going to do some really weird things over the next 6 months. Don't freak out unless you see a pattern. And even that may be temporary. Annoying while it lasts, though...

Sumomo Newbie

I have been diagnosed celiac since May 2011, so I've experienced a lot of trial and error over the months of following a strict gluten-free diet (got sick from a mini Snickers, not realizing they were processed on the same machinery as Milky Ways, now I know better!) I know I have a serious intolerance to eggs, as well as gluten, and every time I tried to introduce eggs back into my diet it just caused a lot of pain and suffering. It certainly could be egg white proteins that are causing the issue, but I know everyone is different. I seem to digest dairy just fine, but eggs are a huge no-no in my diet. I don't even bother trying to eat them anymore!

spryng Rookie

Thank you all so much for all the insight on this! I'm gonna take it much easier on processed foods and test out milk and eggs along the way to see if it was one or the other (or both!) causing the problem.. I still have so much to learn about all this but I'm excited to have so many to share it with :)

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

When first going gluten-free you can't digest milk properly. It can cause bloating and gas.

If you are reacting to soy, be aware that chocolate usually has soy lethicin in it. Some people don't react to it, but I do. That has taken chocolate away from me. I'm going to try it again later, once I've healed more. Maybe have that on your "watch list"?

mushroom Proficient

I have been diagnosed celiac since May 2011, so I've experienced a lot of trial and error over the months of following a strict gluten-free diet (got sick from a mini Snickers, not realizing they were processed on the same machinery as Milky Ways, now I know better!) I know I have a serious intolerance to eggs, as well as gluten, and every time I tried to introduce eggs back into my diet it just caused a lot of pain and suffering. It certainly could be egg white proteins that are causing the issue, but I know everyone is different. I seem to digest dairy just fine, but eggs are a huge no-no in my diet. I don't even bother trying to eat them anymore!

Whenever I find a food I am intolerant of, I find it helpful to leave it out of my diet for at least a year before I challenge it, especially a year after going gluten free. Healing of the gut takes different times in different people so it is best not to rush back into things too soon. :)

Archived