This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutening Pain Location

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

Just wondering where everyone gets their glutening pain. Mine is pretty low and feels sort of like period cramps but worse..almost razor like. How long does your pain usually last after being glutened? Does anyone else get a bad lower back ache when glutened?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Macbre Explorer

Mine is mainly rib cage pain, but now that I read yours I'm wondering if alot of my lower abdominal pain isn't gluten related....I've always assumed it was "monthly" related symptoms. I get alot of cramping and I assumed it was because I have endometrosis, but now I have to wonder.

I got glutened about 1 week ago and have had terrible back pain and cramping, but I figured the back pain was from pulling something during working out and the cramping was from my monthly, but now I'm not sure.

abaker521 Rookie

When it's severe it's always in my lower left abdominal region. Before I was diagnosed I actually thought my appendix was about to burst! In fact just a couple of weeks ago I landed myself in the ER because it was so bad. I still don't know if I got glutened then or what, but it was awful. I also feel cramps similar to my "monthly" cramps so I never really know what's going on. I was diagnosed in September and still seem to get sick frequently despite the fact that I'm super careful and use only gluten-free products. Frustrating! :(

srall Contributor

It's been a long time since I've been hard-core glutened. I do get stomach aches...like nausea, but it's the joint pain that is the big tip off. And it's mostly the left side of my body. If I get cross contaminated from gluten or eat something else I'm intolerant of my left side feels like it's shriveling up. I have always wondered why this is.

abaker521 Rookie

Yes I'm curious to know why it affects my left side too. It's very acute though - probably one specific part of my intestines is still really damaged? I'm actually going to the gyno tomorrow just to make sure there's not something else going on!

BeFree Contributor

"Just wondering where everyone gets their glutening pain. Mine is pretty low and feels sort of like period cramps but worse"

Yes that's what mine feels like. The morning after I eat something I shouldn't for dinner, there it is. But I think that is what made it hard to connect it to my diet for a long time, it felt like "woman problems".

rarmama Apprentice

I haven't been diagnosed yet, but that is exactly what my abdominal pain has been like, like an ache that feels like period cramping, sometimes a sharp pain too. And I get bloated. I always thought it was something reproductive, was tested for ovarian cancer and all sorts of things, but the doc could never figure out what it was.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

abaker521 Rookie

Yep I just got checked out too to make sure it wasn't my reproductive organs. I was diagnosed with celiac back in September and it's STILL hard for me to tell. Always better to be safe though! B)

NorthernElf Enthusiast

When I get glutened it is a general cramping pain, with some intense bouts, with nausea and usually heartburn later. If it's really bad, my lower back can hurt but maybe that's my posture.

The lasting pain tends to be on the right side, down low and/or under the rib cage. It can be sharp and quite painful - it's been awhile since I've been glutened - first Christmas away I didn't get hit ! Maybe I'm getting older AND wiser.....haha. Definitely getting better at refusing stuff.

I have also had all sorts of "women" tests, my gallbladder checked, my appendix checked - all clear. Kinda felt like a hypochondriac !!! :blink: Ten years ago my blood tests were negative & 4 months of gluten free later I had the scope & the doc was looking at heartburn damage not for celiac (thanks to my GP at the time, who also didn't tell me to keep eating gluten). So...no proper diagnosis but I could hire myself out as a gluten detector so I have really no doubt I am celiac - I have to be exteremely careful.

plumbago Experienced

These are my notes from before I was diagnosed with celiac disease. Please keep in mind, that these notes are notes (in one instance stuff copied from the 'net) and were written before I was diagnosed!

______

Symptoms

• 1 year later...
Lillylixx74 Newbie

I am still going threw the testing I have a strong history of stomach cancer I am 38 yrs old my pain is rt rib area like a burning dull pain with Menstrual cramps feeling and low back pain, I've been so depressed I just know this is not right but this site had helped me when I have my symptoms I can come here and she others and not feel so bad I hope this helps someone too.. I don't wish this on anyone it's a awful feeling ; (

Lillylixx74 Newbie

I have constipation and bloated and sometimes gasy but the upper rt abdominal pain around the rib is painful this is sad I am still waitng on my biopsy From my endoscopy

EmiPark210 Contributor

Whenever something activates my IBS (like highly processed corn or caffeine) then my colon begins to spasm, usually in the transverse colon area. But for being glutened, I get really nauseous initially and then later moving abdominal pain as my body builds up gas and tries to decide what to do with the gluten. But wherever there is a gas bubble, it's extremely painful.

Smylinacha Apprentice

Prior to going gluten free my entire low area of my abdomen and lower back was sore - no sharp pains, just felt "black and blue" on the inside.  My upper stomach felt like there was a bunch of pressure and gas.  It would release if I drank something carbonated to get the burp out.  I was also constipated as well so it hurt down by my tail bone also.  Add in joint pain and heaches.  I am back on gluten for my endo on Friday and I don't have "soreness" right now but I am having a 'stitch" in my right side - it's not constant but I can feel it if I have to move around alot.  I havent' od'd on gluten but making sure I get some into my system every day.  Prior to all this, I ate nothing but garbage - all processed junk.

• 2 years later...
CalgaryGuy Newbie

My pain is down low in the middle, perhaps a little to the right, n the lower pat of the small intestine (the Ilieum).

Wicked pain that comes in waves, but I find I can make it go away by doing very fast, short panting.

Always feel so much better after clearing the bowels, Thank God.

I avoid gluten, but if some slips in, my stomach will remind me.

• 2 years later...
Muriah Newbie

I think "some" of the gluten irritation shows up first on the left side just under the rib cage because that is the first place that the offending substance hits the small intestine, the Splenic Flexure.  As a Celiac I also get that low pain in the bladder ovary region as others mentioned.

Archived