This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dairy, Lactose, Casein, Milk

GF Lover

GF Lover Rising Star

I've figured out that milk and ice cream don't agree with me. My question is where do these two items fit? Is dairy free everything in the dairy section at the store? Is just milk the problem? And where does lactose come in? Oh, and cheese, where does it fit?

I still do fine with colby/jack and sour cream. I'm really confused as what to cut. Any "instructions" are greatly appreciated. Be well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

I've figured out that milk and ice cream don't agree with me. My question is where do these two items fit? Is dairy free everything in the dairy section at the store? Is just milk the problem? And where does lactose come in? Oh, and cheese, where does it fit?

I still do fine with colby/jack and sour cream. I'm really confused as what to cut. Any "instructions" are greatly appreciated. Be well.

My suggestion is that you first is remove ALL dairy of any kind. Then once your symptoms are gone add back in just casein and see how that goes for a few weeks. If your fine with that, then add lactose. If not remove casein from diet and wait till symptoms are gone before trying lactose (which I am not even sure you can have lactose and not casein in a product?).

Through that process you will narrow down what the problem is. If you have problems with both lactose and casein then that means no dairy products of any kind. If it is just lactose then there are some dairy products you can have.

It is important you go slow and record everything to ensure accuracy of testing.

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

Hey gluten-free Lover. I started having problems with dairy too in this is what i did. I eliminated all dairy products from my diet and then reintroduced lactose free dairy milk. When i still had problems i realized it was more than likely the protein in milk rather than the sugar. That would mean even cheeses and anything dairy I have problems with, lactose free or not.

However i do okay with solid dairy products too as long as i dont consume way too much or eat it too often.

Skylark Collaborator

I took the approach of eliminating everything for a few weeks, much like VydorScope suggested. Sometime you can have intolerance symptoms without even realizing them. I felt a lot better off all dairy.

Then reintroduce Lactaid milk and see if you feel any different.

GF Lover Rising Star

Thanks for the replies. So if I take out all dairy, what does that all include? Is it everything that has milk in it? Including milk used as an ingredient? Does it include all cheese? I know these are probably silly questions but I just don't know what is all included in dairy free. Thanks.

Mom23boys Contributor

Thanks for the replies. So if I take out all dairy, what does that all include? Is it everything that has milk in it? Including milk used as an ingredient? Does it include all cheese? I know these are probably silly questions but I just don't know what is all included in dairy free. Thanks.

Pretend that dairy is gluten. Take the same amount out that you take out for celiac.

Skylark Collaborator

All milk and milk products. Milk as ingredients, cheese as ingredients, EVERYTHING from the dairy section of the supermarket including butter. All processed/packaged foods with milk, casein, whey, or lactose or that say "milk ingredients". It's best to be strict, remembering that you should have an answer in 2-3 weeks and you can always add foods back. :) If you're not strict and don't feel better you will just get confused, which is no fun.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi,

Dairy free means all dairy ingredients. Casein, whey, and lactose are common names for dairy ingredients in foods. Milk is one of the top 8 food allergens so if it should always be listed in the ingredients if present or called out in an allergy note at the bottom of the ingredients listing.

Open Original Shared Link

GF Lover Rising Star

Okay. Thanks for the specifics, that's what I needed to know. Consider me dairy free until further notice. I feel better already just knowing what to do. I appreciate all your patience in helping me. :D be well.

Finally-45 Contributor

I agree with what everyone else here has said, but wanted to add that my dietician encourages lactose-free dairy since I am not lactose intolerant. (Thank God for one good thing.)

I have kefir, Cabot cheese, and Lactaid all the time, but again, I am not lactose intolerant.

She did mention that people who get easily constipated should avoid dairy all together. So if I think I'm getting constipated, I cut dairy just in case.

My husband is severely lactose intolerant and can't handle casein or whey AT ALL. When he suffers, we both suffer!

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Hey. I'm going dairy/casein free too. It's taken a while for me to finally accept that I can't eat it anymore (suuucks!) I'm pretty sure my problem is casein since I seem to have trouble with goat's milk cheese too.

If you find out it's just lactose that bothers you, then you should be ok. If it's casein, then yes, just treat it like gluten and avoid all of it. Casein is a protein very similar to gluten, so for people with Celiac disease, our bodies sometimes react to it in similar ways as to gluten. Jury's still out on whether or not it causes intestinal damage same as gluten, but if it makes you feel crappy, then steer clear of it.

Recommendations for your milk-free weeks: almond milk is tasty. good olive oil can substitute butter (even on popcorn), and if you're ok with soy, then there's lots of fake cheese things out there. It's almost harder to avoid milk than it is gluten, so be careful

Good luck!

Peg

Archived