17 replies to this topic

#16 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

thanks you all, you are such a comfort for being there.

I've been gluten-free for a little over three months now and my GI issues are still there on and off and I have bad days and better days even when I'm positively sure that I have not been glutened. I'm keeping a food diary and trying to keep me to the simplest possible diet. I've cut out dairy and in the last weeks also wine because it really does not agree with my bowels.

Indeed it is hard. Not the eating (that's all right) but feeling so often tired, just - awfully tired - and my colon playing at knotting itself. Since you all tell me that it is going to get better (repeat it, please...?) I'm more than willing to believe it...

One question though. I guess to do a really useful experiment I should cut out all sorts of cereals for a few days, right? That's going to be hard. And then, which is the most likely NOT to bother me? I adore rice and It seems to me that almost nobody is quoting rice as a possible culprit...

alessandra from Rome Italy - DX in January but gluten-free since beginning of December - severe lactose intolerance too and waiting for a whole host of labwork on glicemia, tyroid antibodies etc

It will get better....it will get better.....it will get better.  :)

Rice is one of the least allergenic foods out there.  Very few people are rice intolerant or allergic.  That's why one of the first cereals that are given to infants is rice cereal....easy to digest and pure.  I am not a big fan of cereal myself because gluten-free cereal is not very good and it's loaded with sugar.  I tend to eat more protein these days.  You could try Cream of Rice but you would have to make sure it is gluten-free and not cc'd.  Maybe make some breakfast risotto and add nuts or raisens and a little sugar?  There must be gluten-free arborio rice in Italy!

I feel so bad.....you are in Rome, the epicenter of gluten and wine and you can have neither?  :angry:   The gluten is easy to dump but no wine?????? :angry:   Italy does produce amazing gluten-free pasta so if you need a recommendation, let me know.  Hang in there because 3 months is not very long to be gluten-free and things will improve over time.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

MO, yes to the digestive enzymes and probiotics. Also please consider activated charcoal.

It's what they give people after a drug overdose, and can be picked up at pretty much any

health food store. I used it the last time I was glutened and it was like magic. Be aware that

if you do take it, charcoal should be taken at least two hours away from any other medication

or supplement, because it will suck them up and keep them from working.

I've been wondering if anyone with DH has had any relief from charcoal. I think I'll go ask on

the DH board...

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#18 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

Gemini, thanks so much for all of your help and advice.  I am going to get some digestive enzymes, drink my water and be extra careful and realize that this is all going to take time to feel better and to heal.

Bunnie, thanks for the info on the charcoal.  I never would have thought of that.

Everyone else who responded, thanks so much for the support and help.  It means so much to me!

-MO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: