18 replies to this topic

#16 AfterAll

AfterAll

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

What are your doctors saying about this?  Besides gluten, I would talk to your doc about thyroid issues.  Post partum thyroid changes are not uncommon, and they can swing, back and forth, for a while unless you get them treated.

As for diet - I don't see much in the way of veggies, but a fair amount of carbs.  You might need to reduce carbs, increase protein/fat - that works well for some people.  But if I don't get enough fruits and veggies, I start to get tired, and just taking a vitamin doesn't cut it.

(By the way, did you fully wean at 1yr?  I ask because that's a relatively common thing to occur, and it's also pretty common for the body to hold onto some pregnancy weight all through breastfeeding, and not drop the last 5ish pounds until baby is completely weaned.)

I weaned at like 4 months and by about 1 year I had lost all of the 37lbs that I gained.  Then I gained back 10 in just 2 months.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 AfterAll

AfterAll

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

You won't like this...but you MUST eat more! And I'm saying that as someone who successfully lost 80 pounds and who has kept it off for several years. Any diet that restricts your calories to 1200 will fail, even if you didn't have celiac disease (I'll tell you why this complicates things later). It's not a maintainable amount to eat, because you will not get enough vitamins, minerals, and energy from it.

The absolute minimum daily caloric count is 1300 for a diet. 1300 is not a maintainable number for long term weight maintenance (1800 is.) Also, never keep the same daily caloric intake. If you keep a consistent number like 1300, your body will adjust to that number. It will conserve energy and lower your metabolism until that number is sufficient, which means you'll never lose the weight. Instead, vary your calorie intake daily (say, 1300 one day, 1500 the next, 1800 the next.) Don't be afraid to occasionally go over 1800, even when trying to lose weight. It will make the adjustment to weight maintenance much easier, and will prevent you from gaining the weight back when you go off the diet. For weight loss, an ideal average caloric intake over a week is around 1500-1600/day (I'm assuming you're of average build; otherwise the number will vary accordingly.)

Now, that said, right now you should not be dieting. Dieting is a shock to the system, and you've already received a shock by having celiac disease. Your body is in starvation mode due to loss of absorption over the years, and dieting will prolong this and make it more difficult to recover. Starvation mode is also counter-productive to weight loss--it will make any weight loss much more difficult to achieve, or even impossible. Your body needs healing right now. You will have temporary weight gain, but this is absolutely okay. Once your body feels like it's healing, your weight will even out, then you can work on losing any unnecessary weight.

One other thing: you should absolutely get your thyroid and vitamin levels checked. The weight on the stomach is likely bloating, but the back and arms is more indicative of thyroid trouble.

Also, be very careful with what you're eating. You can't assume anything is safe. A product from one brand (like Worchester Sauce) might be okay. From another brand, it might contain wheat. For a third, it might be cross-contaminated in factory. You literally have to check every single product you buy, from any different brand, to make sure that a) it contains no gluten, and B) it wasn't processed on any shared lines with gluten. Otherwise, you'll delay healing.

Thank you!  I have eliminated dairy and pretty much all processed foods since I originally posted this because I KNOW something is not right, I am just not sure what it is.

I am going to get my vitamin levels tested in a little bit and am going to be seeing my gastro in a few weeks as well.

#18 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hi Afterall,

For ulcers you can try DGL and mastic gum.  Blessed thistle may help too.  Betaine HCL makes stomach acid and that can help also.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#19 EricaM15

EricaM15

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Sample of what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast- Bakery on Main Cranberry Nut Granola Bar

Coffee (KCup) with 2 tsp of International Delight, Dairy Free Creamer

Lunch-     3/4 of plain Costco Hamburger

12 Ore Ida Sweet Potato Fries

1 bag of BBQ Pop Chips

Snapple, Arnold Palmer

Snack-      1 snack sized bag of Planters Trail Mix with Peanuts, raisins, and m&ms

3 Joyva Jelly Rings (my vice, Passover candy)

16oz bottle of water while on the treadmill

Dinner-     Cheesesteak that I made in the crockpot from lean Sirloin (it had Progresso French Onion Soup, worchestire sauce, mustard seed, red pepper flakes, onion, and mushroom on it).  I did not eat any bread, or cheese, or any of the home made oven baked french fries that I made for everyone else.

Diet Soda

I'd recommend you try a whole foods diet rather than calorie restriction. Stay away from any processed foods, sauces, candies, etc. They all could potentially have gluten in them. I honestly can't trust anything that comes in a jar or can anymore because I can't recognize all the ingredients. I make all my dressings and sauces myself. Be careful about getting anything with more than five ingredients on the label. Foods with artificial flavoring and coloring can easily cause reactions in people with Celiac. You should also be careful about granola since many people with Celiac are sensitive to oats. If you're having cravings for candy, replace it with dried (unsweetened, unsulfured) fruit. Dates and figs are a great substitute. Also, the majority of your diet should be fresh fruits and vegetables. And just as a tip--raw, unsalted nuts and seeds are much healthier than when they're roasted. Raw nuts and seeds (avocado as well) do contain fat, but they have enzymes that can aid in weightloss, especially if you sprout them. Those enzymes are killed when they're roasted. They're also a very healthy, filling snack. I personally try to make it so that every calorie I consume has as much nutrition possible, so that's another thing to think about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: