This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating At A Restaurant That Says They Have No Gluten Free Options

DoogiePCT

DoogiePCT Apprentice

I'm meeting a large group of friends at a pub on thursday. I don't drink, but I do want to contribute my bit to the check. I called and asked if they had gluten free options, and they said no.

My question is, because I am gluten sensitive, not celiac, and am usually ok with cross contamination as long as I don't physically ingest it, could I ask for, say, a Spinach Salad with a hard boiled egg, hold the dressing and I'll bring my own? Is that ok?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I find that salads are usually the worst thing to order.  I can't tell you how many times  I have found a crouton in there.  If I were you, I would not eat there.  They already told you that the food was not safe.  Why would you take the chance?

What kind of place is this?  Chain?  Fancy place?  Family place?  I find that most places can at least make a hamburger patty for me but if this is a fancy place, those might not be on the menu.  Could be that the person you spoke to was clueless.  Did you ask to speak to the chef?

And what does usually okay with cross contamination mean, as long as you don't ingest it? 

IrishHeart Veteran

And what does usually okay with cross contamination mean, as long as you don't ingest it? 

Thinking the same thing and scratching my head here...that makes no sense.

Shanmegjilal Rookie

I am in a similar dilemma and so worried about how to handle it.A large group is meeting at a Sports  Pub  and when I called they said they can do grilled chicken and "we have vegetables".The girl on the phone didn't sound that confident leading me to believe they may not do this too much.I usually only go where they offer a gluten-free menu or where I feel confident they can handle this.With it being a large group on a weekend night I am nervous.What do I do?Go somewhere else where  they do a gluten-free menu without the group? I think I would feel very awkward just getting a drink plus I am away so it's not like I can go home and eat...It's so hard always feeling "anti-social".Thank you for any input.

Adalaide Mentor

In situations where it is a group activity I simply decide where I can safely get a meal and get it to go. I then bring it with me to where everyone is going and eat with everyone. Then it avoids the awkwardness that can sometimes come up when one person isn't eating, plus I'm not stuck being hungry.

Shanmegjilal Rookie

Thank so much.That's a good idea.Do you call the restaurant and ask them if it's ok first?Have you ever had a restaurant not allow it?

Adalaide Mentor

I've heard of other people having issues, I never have. If I get a comment or something from a server I just explain that I have food allergies (because this is easy for them to understand without their eyes glazing over) and I spoke to someone on the phone and unfortunately I can't be provided with a safe meal here. I then say something placating about how I wish I could enjoy their food because it looks/smells so good and how I appreciate their concern for me. (Yes, I manage this with a smile and without rolling my eyes.) I do order a drink and still make sure to leave my part of the tip. (As if not rolling my eyes wasn't enough! :lol:) If it is a buffet, I have never called ahead, they flat out can't serve us safely so I just roll from there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Thank so much.That's a good idea.Do you call the restaurant and ask them if it's ok first?Have you ever had a restaurant not allow it?

You can not do that here in WA.  Not legally anyway. When my dad was on a special diet, my mom would bring in food and have them serve it and we never had a problem.  But they really are not supposed to do it.

Archived