7 replies to this topic

#1 DoogiePCT

DoogiePCT

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

I'm meeting a large group of friends at a pub on thursday. I don't drink, but I do want to contribute my bit to the check. I called and asked if they had gluten free options, and they said no.

My question is, because I am gluten sensitive, not celiac, and am usually ok with cross contamination as long as I don't physically ingest it, could I ask for, say, a Spinach Salad with a hard boiled egg, hold the dressing and I'll bring my own? Is that ok?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

I find that salads are usually the worst thing to order.  I can't tell you how many times  I have found a crouton in there.  If I were you, I would not eat there.  They already told you that the food was not safe.  Why would you take the chance?

What kind of place is this?  Chain?  Fancy place?  Family place?  I find that most places can at least make a hamburger patty for me but if this is a fancy place, those might not be on the menu.  Could be that the person you spoke to was clueless.  Did you ask to speak to the chef?

And what does usually okay with cross contamination mean, as long as you don't ingest it? 

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

And what does usually okay with cross contamination mean, as long as you don't ingest it? 

Thinking the same thing and scratching my head here...that makes no sense.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 Shanmegjilal

Shanmegjilal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

I am in a similar dilemma and so worried about how to handle it.A large group is meeting at a Sports  Pub  and when I called they said they can do grilled chicken and "we have vegetables".The girl on the phone didn't sound that confident leading me to believe they may not do this too much.I usually only go where they offer a gluten-free menu or where I feel confident they can handle this.With it being a large group on a weekend night I am nervous.What do I do?Go somewhere else where  they do a gluten-free menu without the group? I think I would feel very awkward just getting a drink plus I am away so it's not like I can go home and eat...It's so hard always feeling "anti-social".Thank you for any input.

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

In situations where it is a group activity I simply decide where I can safely get a meal and get it to go. I then bring it with me to where everyone is going and eat with everyone. Then it avoids the awkwardness that can sometimes come up when one person isn't eating, plus I'm not stuck being hungry.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 Shanmegjilal

Shanmegjilal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Thank so much.That's a good idea.Do you call the restaurant and ask them if it's ok first?Have you ever had a restaurant not allow it?

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

I've heard of other people having issues, I never have. If I get a comment or something from a server I just explain that I have food allergies (because this is easy for them to understand without their eyes glazing over) and I spoke to someone on the phone and unfortunately I can't be provided with a safe meal here. I then say something placating about how I wish I could enjoy their food because it looks/smells so good and how I appreciate their concern for me. (Yes, I manage this with a smile and without rolling my eyes.) I do order a drink and still make sure to leave my part of the tip. (As if not rolling my eyes wasn't enough! :lol:) If it is a buffet, I have never called ahead, they flat out can't serve us safely so I just roll from there.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

Thank so much.That's a good idea.Do you call the restaurant and ask them if it's ok first?Have you ever had a restaurant not allow it?

You can not do that here in WA.  Not legally anyway. When my dad was on a special diet, my mom would bring in food and have them serve it and we never had a problem.  But they really are not supposed to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: