This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

As A Test; I Want To Eat A Ton Of Gluten, And Then A Ton Of Wheat... Need Food Recommendations

Trademarked

Trademarked Newbie

So there is one thing I know for sure;  Beer, especially wheat beer, triggers an unpleasant reaction in my body.   Based on this knowledge I want to conduct a test to see what my reactions are to:

1) The purest form of wheat (without gluten, if that exists)

2) The purest form of gluten (without wheat, if that exists)

Based on this goal, I need help selecting foods that would be good for a test.   I will eat a large quantity of wheat one day, and then a few days later a large quantity of gluten.  Hopefully one, rather than the other, will trigger a reaction, and then I can eliminate that food from my diet.  Perhaps it's both, and in that case I'll shed a little tear, but be glad I know.   

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Gluten is found in wheat, rye and barley. There is no wheat without gluten.

Trademarked Newbie

Gluten is found in wheat, rye and barley. There is no wheat without gluten.

Is there gluten without wheat?

GottaSki Mentor

Is there gluten without wheat?

As mentioned by a previous post....

There is no gluten protein associated with Celiac Disease besides what is found in:

Wheat, Barley, Rye

And there are no samples of Wheat, Barley or Rye without the gluten protein associated with Celiac Disease.

kareng Grand Master

Really....if you eat a " ton" of any 1 food in 1 day....you will feel bad. It's not really a good way to test if its wheat or gluten.

With the thought that this is a serious self test-

The best way might be to completely eliminate all gluten until you feel better. Then add a portion of cooked barley to your diet for a week and see if you start feeling bad. That would likely mean that its gluten or barley making you feel bad. You could then be gluten-free until you feel better and add wheat in and see.

Trademarked Newbie

Really....if you eat a " ton" of any 1 food in 1 day....you will feel bad. It's not really a good way to test if its wheat or gluten.

With the thought that this is a serious self test-

The best way might be to completely eliminate all gluten until you feel better. Then add a portion of cooked barley to your diet for a week and see if you start feeling bad. That would likely mean that its gluten or barley making you feel bad. You could then be gluten-free until you feel better and add wheat in and see.

Great idea!  I'm going to give that a shot..

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You know, many people have reactions to certain beers (usually grouped by manufacturer or yeast strain) and don't have gluten issues.

My husband can drink Stella and swell up, get a headache....drink Smithwick's and all is great with the world.

Not saying it isn't worth experimenting with, but if its isolated to beer you may try playing with yeast/additives by manufacturing group.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Trademarked Newbie

Unfortunately my problems flare up even when on a beer free diet..  the wheat beers are always worse, so that keeps me focused on wheat for now.  I did wheat free diet in June and I felt good.  I didn't avoid all the subtle gluten ingredients way down the ingredient list, but I made sure to avoid everything that was obvious.  So I figure i'm probably on the right track... but I'm open minded too :)

kareng Grand Master

Have you thought about getting tested for Celiac? I mean, I hope you are basing this on more than just a couple of wheat beers bothering you? What about bread or pasta or cake?

Trademarked Newbie

I got tested for a bunch of things 2 years ago, and I can't remember if that was on the list or not, but now i don't have insurance, so I have to troubleshoot this on my own.  The beer thing is consistent, and I know its something in there that's a problem, but it's hard to pin point anything else because I usually don't consume 6 slices of cake at a time.  

Do you think that a wheat beer has more or less wheat as a slice of bread? I could gorge on bread and see what happens...  I just want to find a way to narrow this thing down item by item... 

kareng Grand Master

A wheat beer has very little wheat in it. If that is what is bothering you....maybe just don't drink the brands that bother you? I doubt that is the only wheat you are getting?

People with a problem with wheat or gluten don't need to eat 6 pieces of cake to " test" it. You stop eating all gluten, including all beer except gluten-free beer for a few months. Then eat some bread and see if it bothers you.

Maybe request your medical records and see what you were tested for before?

Trademarked Newbie

All the brands of beer bother me...

I don't think all the people with wheat problems have the same sensitivity.  

This is what I know for sure:  

-Beer, especially wheat beer, causes allergic reactions in my body.  

-When I eliminate beer, wheat, and gluten from my diet for a month I feel fine

-When I add back either bear, or wheat, I have reactions again.   

I don't think I would normally be allergic to any of these things, but 2 years ago I had a very traumatic medical situation that caused my body to be more sensitive to allergens.  

nvsmom Community Regular

It seems

All the brands of beer bother me...

I don't think all the people with wheat problems have the same sensitivity.  

This is what I know for sure:  

-Beer, especially wheat beer, causes allergic reactions in my body.  

-When I eliminate beer, wheat, and gluten from my diet for a month I feel fine

-When I add back either bear, or wheat, I have reactions again.   

I don't think I would normally be allergic to any of these things, but 2 years ago I had a very traumatic medical situation that caused my body to be more sensitive to allergens.  

I think you already know what bothers you: wheat, all beers, and gluten. I don't think you need to make yourself sick in order to confirm what you already know.

All celiacs are sensitive to minute amounts of gluten, we just have different types of reactions to it: Joe might get headaches, Jill might get stomach aches and bloat, Billy might have gluten ataxia and have a seizure, and Sue might have no symptoms at all execpt anemia.

A crumb can make us sick. Like someone said in another thread: gluten is like rat poison to us and a small amount will do less damage than a whole box of the stuff... but why eat any if you can help it.

Good luck. I hope you feel well soon.

Trademarked Newbie

It seems

I think you already know what bothers you: wheat, all beers, and gluten. I don't think you need to make yourself sick in order to confirm what you already know.

All celiacs are sensitive to minute amounts of gluten, we just have different types of reactions to it: Joe might get headaches, Jill might get stomach aches and bloat, Billy might have gluten ataxia and have a seizure, and Sue might have no symptoms at all execpt anemia.

A crumb can make us sick. Like someone said in another thread: gluten is like rat poison to us and a small amount will do less damage than a whole box of the stuff... but why eat any if you can help it.

Good luck. I hope you feel well soon.

It would just be helpful if I could figure out which ingredient is the culprit.  When i shop for food it's easier to avoid wheat than it is the entire gluten spectrum, so I want to know if I really need to eliminate gluten, or just wheat itself.  Being sick for a few days is worth figuring out what it is and being able to shop accordingly for years to come..  

kareng Grand Master

It would just be helpful if I could figure out which ingredient is the culprit.  When i shop for food it's easier to avoid wheat than it is the entire gluten spectrum, so I want to know if I really need to eliminate gluten, or just wheat itself.  Being sick for a few days is worth figuring out what it is and being able to shop accordingly for years to come..

The "entire gluten spectrum". - approx. 90% wheat, 9% barley / malt, 1% rye ( usually just bread or crackers)

Rarely see rye without some wheat flour. Barley is in non gluten-free beers, some in food, usually as malt.

Go buy some barley, cook it and eat it.

Wait a few days.

Go buy some wheat gluten and choke it down or shove it in a pill casing.

Wait a few days.

Ditto for rye flour.

Done.

Trademarked Newbie

Go buy some barley, cook it and eat it.

Wait a few days.

Go buy some wheat gluten and choke it down or shove it in a pill casing.

Wait a few days.

Ditto for rye flour.

Done.

Is there a wheat gluten alternative to this stuff, or is that what you would eat?  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/Wheat_gluten_(vegetarian_mock_duck)_2007.webp/220px-Wheat_gluten_(vegetarian_mock_duck)_2007.webp

I have no freaking idea what that is or if you're serious, but if you are serious...you can buy powdered vital wheat gluten at most grocery stores.

Or just use wheat flour...

Trademarked Newbie

I have no freaking idea what that is or if you're serious, but if you are serious...you can buy powdered vital wheat gluten at most grocery stores.

I'm very serious, I used to eat wheat gluten as a meat alternative.  They sell it at trader joes and it looks like that after you take it out of the package.  

I'm very serious, I used to eat wheat gluten as a meat alternative. They sell it at trader joes and it looks like that after you take it out of the package.

Okay, I must honestly say I'd never eat that.....

I assume something us added to it to make it gelatinous? If so I wouldn't use that. You want one ingredient when you test. Powdered wheat gluten or flour, that's my advice.

Trademarked Newbie

Okay, I must honestly say I'd never eat that.....

I assume something us added to it to make it gelatinous? If so I wouldn't use that. You want one ingredient when you test. Powdered wheat gluten or flour, that's my advice.

Yeah most people wouldn't, but it does taste good :)  I'll try that powdered wheat gluten though.. and I suppose barley is the best because then if i have a reaction i know its not wheat specific.. 

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yeah most people wouldn't, but it does taste good :)  I'll try that powdered wheat gluten though.. and I suppose barley is the best because then if i have a reaction i know its not wheat specific.. 

Cream of wheat would be just wheat and that of course would have gluten. Triscuits are another option. If you do challenge be sure to eat what you challenge with 3 times a day for up to a week because gluten reactions can be delayed. You could of course stop the challenge if you react sooner.

Archived