Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Long Island Medium Episode Tonight: She And Her Daughter's Pediatrician Are Ignorant!

11 posts in this topic

Tonight Theresa Capudo (Long Island Medium) was taking her daughter to the pediatrician because, in her words, "She has this crazy idea that she's allergic to gluten!" The Dr  asked her daughter about her poop, and she said she only went once a day and it was normal. So, from her description of her poop and her other issues, it didn't sound like she had a gluten problem. BUT THEN after telling her she probably doesn't have gluten issues or Celiac disease, he tells her "Celiac disease is a fad these days...and everyone is going gluten free even if they don't have to." I am fuming now. His words kind of ran together quickly, but I know he said Celiac disease AND being gluten free is a fad these days.

I want to write to that woman and tell her she has a rude and ignorant doctor. But what good will it do?? WHY do people not think a disease related to food is REAL?? WHY??

Also, there's a teacher at my daughter's school who has Celiac. We've talked about it. I watched her eat pieces of a muffin yesterday and asked her about it. She told me she doesn't have it severely...ie: doesn't get a severe reaction to it, so she eats it in moderation. She has a sister who gets violently ill from gluten and she also has Celiac...so I guess she thinks since she doesn't react right away, it's ok to eat it! I do not understand people. I guess she doesn't care that gluten will ruin her body even if she doesn't "feel" anything. We were at an amusement park when she said this, and I was so happy to find gluten free ice cream cones at an ice cream place. And, I will add that the teacher did have gluten-free bars in her purse, but she said since we were at this park, she was going to eat whatever she wanted. Ugh. I managed to find chicken tacos, popcorn and ice cream...all gluten free. Just had to vent. I want to scream to the world: "Celiac is REAL and I am feeling so much better NOT EATING GLUTEN!!"

Ads by Google:

Maybe he meant that people thinking they have celiac is a fad. especially as the kid didn't even have any symptoms but thought she had Celiac?

:blink:

I don't know what to say to that.

Maybe he meant that people thinking they have celiac is a fad. especially as the kid didn't even have any symptoms but thought she had Celiac?

I don't know for sure, but it didn't sound right. The Dr and her mother both thought the whole idea was silly. The daughter said she had stomach pain sometimes. Celiac is so difficult to diagnose. What about people who don't have many symptoms at all but have Celiac? I am just repeating what he said. Who knows what he was thinking? I don't like it when people think this disease is a joke. 

This made me SO irritated!! The doctor asked her how often she poops (1/day), how much it hurts (3/10) and palated her belly. Then he said celiac disease is currently a fad and told her she was fine.

Seriously?!?! Wtf?! No blood test, no referral... Not even "try it and see..."

I hope they get flooded with complaints.

This made me SO irritated!! The doctor asked her how often she poops (1/day), how much it hurts (3/10) and palated her belly. Then he said celiac disease is currently a fad and told her she was fine.

Seriously?!?! Wtf?! No blood test, no referral... Not even "try it and see..."

I hope they get flooded with complaints.

I am so glad you saw it too!!! I agree. They thought it was FUNNY!! What if she did have it? You never know. Maybe her mom has it because she talks to 'spirit". Maybe the spirit is  gluten fogging her big-haired head!!!

I just posted a complaint to her facebook page. I hope others will do the same. A few have already. 

Look up Theresa Caputo.

I had heard of her, never watched it, but it makes me angry. 

*face plant*

If someone thinks they might have an issue with gluten, the right thing to do first is to ask your doctor about it and get tested. !!!! Oh man...

As a TV related side note, this reminds me of a episode of House where one of the patients ended up having Celiac. I think I guessed it from the symptoms 10 minutes in. And they took it seriously. (I miss that show so much)

I wonder how many comments this woman/show will get about it? For all they know, her daughter (don't know how old she is) could be in the early stages of developing it. In any case, very irresponsible/ignorant of the doctor.

Seriously, how did that doctor get his medical license?  Celiac Disease does NOT always have "poop problems" as a symptom.  I have Celiac Disease and never had a bathroom issue before diagnosis.  I had horrible stomach pains when I ate and severe malnutrition.  I was 30 pounds under the healthy weight range for my height.  

It's a shame that TLC (the learning channel) would not learn anything about the topic of their episode.  Poor girl probably DOES have celiac disease.  She's gaining weight rapidly and has pains when she eats wheat. It's not a "fad" but more people are being diagnosed now that wheat is modified to have such high gluten content.  We have modified our food so much that people are getting sick from it.  And I am so over hearing people doubt my gluten intolerance.  People don't do the same for peanut allergy or lactose intolerance.  Why is gluten the target?? Because the public is uneducated - get your act together TLC!!!

*face plant*

If someone thinks they might have an issue with gluten, the right thing to do first is to ask your doctor about it and get tested. !!!! Oh man...

As a TV related side note, this reminds me of a episode of House where one of the patients ended up having Celiac. I think I guessed it from the symptoms 10 minutes in. And they took it seriously. (I miss that show so much)

I wonder how many comments this woman/show will get about it? For all they know, her daughter (don't know how old she is) could be in the early stages of developing it. In any case, very irresponsible/ignorant of the doctor.

I miss House too!

I don't know if it's the same episode but I've seen it twice...once long before our diagnosis and then once right after our diagnosis. Pretty sure the second time I saw it, I cried. :( The person on that episode was so sick. It scared me and made me happy that they were showing just how severe it can get (my little guy has never been as sick as some of the people here post about and reading and seeing how sick one can get terrifies me to no end!) and getting it out in the public eye a little more definitely helps.