6 replies to this topic

#1 Laurenskii

Laurenskii

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

My hips hurt terribly...I got glutened about 3 days ago and it has gotten significantly worse.
I'm way too young to be feeling like this. Hours after a hike it's AWFUL. Aching nagging pain.
Does anyone have this problem? Is there something else I can be doing to help besides making sure to not gluten myself?
I don't know if this will be overly relevant but I'm also dairy free. However, I feel like I'm getting enough calcium through almond/soy milks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Nightshade vegetables (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant) are known to cause joint pain in some people. I was having a problem with arthritic-type pain in my fingers and back, and when I stopped eating nightshades it went away. They are cumulative, which means if you give them up for a while to clear your system of them and then eat them just once in a while, you should be OK. Of course, after a glutening, just about anything can cause problems. Maybe go off nightshades until you are over the glutening (give it a couple of weeks), and then try eating them again?

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

I know this may sound terribly insensitive, but I can't think of anyone I know who would go on a hike 3 days after they were glutened. It's like signing up for extra punishment. What a body needs after that is time to heal, and while you may not have been feeling particularly awful you did something that was very physically demanding when your body was trying cope with the assault that had just happened. It probably wasn't a hike, but this is something a lot of us have done and we all learned our lesson. Take it easy, let your body heal and make sure there has been ample recovery time before doing anything ambitious. Anything underlying will be amplified beyond comprehension after a glutening.

There are probably dozens of possible causes for the pain. I get pain in some of my joints from osteoarthritis. Honestly, nothing helps with this. A significant amount of my pain was caused by my histamine problem, and I've been able to manage it through diet. Much like the nightshade thing, it's a sort of cumulative thing and I just have to make sure that my cup not runneth over. Since you're also newly diagnosed and gluten free, it could simply be that you haven't had enough time to start feeling better and with time your hips will be less painful or not painful at all. A trip to the doctor (if s/he isn't a moron) wouldn't hurt just to make sure it isn't anything serious, but from there maybe just see if time helps if you aren't all gung-ho about trying out restricting your diet further.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

All good advice!  Maybe you should get a bone scan.  Folks with celiac disease, even if they are kids, can have osteopenia or osteoporosis.  Your doctor may want you to add in more calicium in the form of supplements until you are properly absorbing vitamins and minerals, etc. 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 mamafish

mamafish

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Have you had your thyroid antibodies checked?  Joint pain can be a symptom of Hashimoto's for some, and it often co-occurs with celiac.  (Also, for some people with thyroid issues, soy can aggravate things).

#6 Vicky_1989

Vicky_1989

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'm 24 and have had problems with my hips for a couple of years now. It's like a deep ache/burning sensation that radiates down my leg - my doctor recently diagnosed me with hip bursitis, yours sounds similar!
24 years old from England.

Pernicious Anaemia - July 2007
Coeliac Disease - March 2011
Gluten-free - March 2011

#7 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

I'm one that feels better after a glutening if I exercise. It's like it burns it out or something.

Anyway, sometimes gkuten can cause muscle cramps and hip flexors can cramp up. After I was gluten-free a while, and started working out, my hip pain went away. I think because I was moving and stretching.

You may also have soft tissue issues thanks to autoimmunity - so you may be prone to overdoing. In which case, rest and caution.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: