Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

I Have Been To 2 Restaurants Recently Who Said They Are Working On New Menu Options But Did Not Currently Have Gluten Free Menus Available

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 margieclex

margieclex

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

I was told the server would be able to assist with gluten free options, she directed me to food I knew contained gluten...thank goodness I was aware, so tired of asking for a gluten free menu and then just get handed a printout everyone has to search for!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

One of the many reasons we just don't eat out anymore, sadly.

luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#3 HumanDecency

HumanDecency

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

I went to Logan's Steakhouse with family last weekend. I didn't eat anything (of course) but I still like to go out. The waitress asked me why I wasn't eating. I told her I have Celiac and I was worried about contamination. She laughed at me and said. "I'm a bio major. I know that gluten isn't a contaminant." This is why I don't eat at many restaurants. 

#4 Rissa019

Rissa019

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

I was told the server would be able to assist with gluten free options, she directed me to food I knew contained gluten...thank goodness I was aware, so tired of asking for a gluten free menu and then just get handed a printout everyone has to search for!

I am sorry you had that experience.. However, I am very impressed with how quickly restaurants are adapting to the gluten-free customers' needs.. Almost every restaurant I go to knows exactly what is on the menu that is gluten free. I used to have to look at an app to tell what was gluten-free before entering the restaurant, because so many were not educated on it. Now though, SO many restaurants have their own gluten free menus and have WONDERFUL options. Red Robin, Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesdays, Carrabba's, and Cheddar's are some of my recent brags. Lovely service and each waiter/waitress knew exactly what gluten was and how critical it is when ingested by a celiac.

- Recovering from a gluten-damaged belly

Philippians 4:13. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

#5 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

I am sorry you had that experience.. However, I am very impressed with how quickly restaurants are adapting to the gluten-free customers' needs.. Almost every restaurant I go to knows exactly what is on the menu that is gluten free. I used to have to look at an app to tell what was gluten-free before entering the restaurant, because so many were not educated on it. Now though, SO many restaurants have their own gluten free menus and have WONDERFUL options. Red Robin, Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesdays, Carrabba's, and Cheddar's are some of my recent brags. Lovely service and each waiter/waitress knew exactly what gluten was and how critical it is when ingested by a celiac.

Hi Rissa, and Welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid I don't know your history.  Are you Celiac/NCGI?  Do you have a medical diagnosis and how long have you been diagnosed?  I'm asking these questions because on this thread and another I saw you are portraying a very cavalier attitude on eating out.  I would hate to have our newer members think that they can eat anywhere and not get glutened.  Getting the hang of this diet is hard enough without throwing "restaurants" into the mix.  Unless a restaurant is completely gluten free (no gluten food served) would I consider it a safe bet.  Otherwise the risk of contamination runs extremely high.  For instance:  I went to a great waterfront restaurant with my whole family for Christmas.  I had looked at the menu on-line before hand and they had quite a few gluten free selections.  When I arrived I asked for the Dining Room Manager and asked him some questions.  My first question was: Is the gluten free food prepared in a separate space in the Kitchen with its own equipment.  He did not hesitate to tell me that everything was prepared together and they do not guarantee the food to be 100% gluten fee due to contamination issues.  Needless to say I had a few snacks that I always carry with me for just this type of situation.  Many people will order the gluten free items and then wonder why they are a mess.  When you have Celiac, there is a "Process" to go through when ordering and even then you take a chance.

Good Luck,

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

Good tips, Colleen!

The only restaurant I have eaten safely was a completely gluten free restaurant and bakery located in Tucson, Arizona.  How I wish we had a gluten-free restaurant in my hometown!  We have a few bakeries, but then I can bake with the best of them!

We spent Christmas out-of-state but fortunately, my parents can accommodate our gluten free diet.  I have have purchased lots of new cooking pans, colanders, etc. for their home.   We did eat out three times.  I was able to find three restaurants who had reviews written by Celiacs.  Each time, I questioned their procedures.  One restaurant was owned by a Celiac and that was nice.  The other was a very expensive restaurant and the chef and manager came out to discuss our meals.  All their steaks and prime rib are cooked on a gluten free grille.  No gluten in their seasonings.   Since my parents are loyal customers, you can bet they made sure we did not get glutened!  The third restaurant was a crap shoot.  Luckily, we did not get glutened.

Now, I'm home.  As tempting as it is, to go out for dinner (we have a meeting to go to and frankly, I'm sick of cooking breakfast, lunch and now the prospect of dinner), I'm pulling out some bacon for some BLT's and some fries.  Getting glutened is not worth it!

I strongly recommend that newbies avoid eating out until they are feeling better.  I also want everyone to know that we have walked out of many restaurants when answers to our questions did not satisfy us.  We've been at this way too long!  I never go anywhere without gluten-free cereal bars, fruit leathers, etc. in my purse.  You just never know when you'll need them.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

Sorry, but a "Gluten free menu" does NOT equate with "safely prepared for a celiac" and an app

is not a guarantee. (i was burned once or twice this way and learned valuable lessons)

Preparation, kitchen practices, understanding of CC---- is key. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Yeah... been there... done it. I've ordered off of gluten-free menus... had the "talk" with wait staff and managers... and been given items with obvious gluten in them. It's all about talking to wait staff and managers and having THEM make sure the cooks in the kitchen are following protocol. It's such a crap shoot... we don't eat out anymore. I miss it!

luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

I post on Find Me Gluten Free when I have a good experience and say "I have celiac and I ate here safely!!"  . LOL

If we all did that, it would widen our options, IMHO.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: