8 replies to this topic

#1 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

I am making taco spice mix in little jars this year for Christmas gifts.  I'm about to go to sams club and get my spices.  I am trying to come up with the least messy way to mix all of this together, 12 cups total.  I was thinking about getting one of those giant ziploc bags, but where do I get those?   :unsure:  Maybe if I am forced to use a whisk and a big bowl, I will go out in the garage and put down a sheet or something, haha.  Any ideas?

Edit: I am asking you guys because my family are all recipients of this gift, and I can't spoil the surprise! 

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

I have seen those giant ziplocks at target and Walmart before.

What if you make them in 2-6 cup batches? The mixing bowl on my Kirchen aid would work for that. Or a large stock pot or turkey roaster? Maybe get one of the foil turkey pans and stir carefully?

Let me know when you need my address.... :)

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

I just shake large batches in a 4 L pail with a lid. Works perfectly.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

I had an epiphany when going to get my big bowl out from my cabinet, I used my cake carrier. It snaps near air tight, and it worked great.  I was able to shake it and get everything blended easily.  My gifts are going to turn out great :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#5 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

I had an epiphany when going to get my big bowl out from my cabinet, I used my cake carrier. It snaps near air tight, and it worked great.  I was able to shake it and get everything blended easily.  My gifts are going to turn out great :)

Ummmm Laura?  You forgot to ask for addresses  :lol:

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

turkey-hiding.gif

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:29 AM

I can PM you with all our addresses. Just say the word. ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

How bout I give yall the recipe? :D   

Taco Seasoning (3 Tbsp. = 1 packet of taco seasoning):
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder 
½ teaspoon onion powder 
1/8 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper

Directions for taco meat:
Brown 1 lb. ground beef or turkey in skillet; drain.  Add 1/2 cup water and 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning.  Stir well and heat over medium heat for a few minutes until done.  Serve in tacos or on nachos.  
To spice things up, use tomato sauce or salsa instead of water.  

Serve your tacos with this easy Mexican Rice Recipe:
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 C long grain white rice
2 C chicken broth
1/2 small onion or 1 shallot
1 whole tomato 
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
Heat oil in saucepan over medium-low heat.   Add rice and sauté until golden brown.  Carefully add chicken broth and grate in onion and tomato. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  Bring to a boil and then simmer 25 minutes, covered, until rice is done.  Salt to taste.
To prevent rice from being soggy, use grated tomato towards total liquid volume measurement.  

Taco Mac Bake Recipe
1 pound ground beef
3 Tbsp.  taco seasoning
2 cups pasta (can use 1 cup and add 1 can pinto beans)
1 - 14oz can black beans drained and rinsed
2 - 10 oz cans Rotel
2 cups low fat mexican shredded cheese
1 1/2 cup tortilla chips, crushed
½ C water
Preheat the oven to 350. Cook 2 cups of pasta of your choice to the minimum recommended time.  While cooking the pasta, brown 1 pound of ground beef.  Drain the fat. Drain and rinse one 14 oz. can of black beans. 
Add the drained black beans, two 10 oz cans of Rotel, and 1/2 cup water. Add 3 Tbsp. of homemade taco seasoning.  Mix well and simmer for a few minutes.  Also crush 1 1/2 cups of tortilla chips to make about 3/4 cup of small bits.
Remove from heat. Add pasta and 1 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Transfer to a large oven safe baking dish.
Top with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese and crushed chips. Mix them together a little. Bake until browned. About 25 minutes.

Big Batch Recipe
Makes 12 cups, perfect for 12  8oz. canning jars.
(4 ½ cups) 3 teaspoon chili powder
(¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
(¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 
(3 tablespoons) 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
(1 ½ cup) 1 teaspoon dried oregano
(¾ cup)  1/2 teaspoon paprika
 (2 ¼ cup) 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
(¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon salt
 (¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

I used mostly Tones spices from sams club, and I discovered that the 20 oz. chili powder is 4 and a half cups.  A Standard mccormick spice bottle is 1/2 cup.  If that helps anyone :P   Overall I spent about 50 dollars on 12 gifts, not too bad!  

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:46 AM

Awesome gift idea!

Laura that is so sweet of you to take the time to type all that out.

Newbies will truly appreciate it! 

I suggest  you  cut and paste the whole thing to a new thread and call it "Homemade Taco Seasoning Mixes for Christmas Gifts"

or something like that because it may get lost in this one. It's just so much good info.

oh,and the

truth is, I know how to do it because I have to make my own taco seasoning because I can't have MSG which is always in those packets! 

GRR lol 

but I'm just so lazy lately... I wanted YOU to make it for me. :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

I'll do that! I've been using that recipe for a long time, I pull out individual spices each time and measure them all out into a cup before I get started.  Ive been wanting to at least make myself a batch for personal use, was able to save a little for me :)  There is a blog called 101 cooking for two, and that guy makes his own spice blends.  And I cook for two so his stuff is helpful :)  

I DO need to find a celiac to cook for that will appreciate my cooking more!  LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: