3 replies to this topic

#1 shirleytx

shirleytx

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:10 AM

I have been gluten free for about 6 weeks and I have noticed an improvement in my health (less bloating, less foggy, more energy) but am still having some issues.  A brief history: I was vegan for 7 years until last July when due to loosing too much weight and the fact that I was finding eating anything difficult I went back to eating some dairy fat free cottage cheese and fat free yogurt. I have mild Gastroparesis and a esophageal motility disorder. My thinking is maybe the dairy is causing some issues.  I still get some cramping and bloating after eating and wondered how commonly these 2 issues gluten intolerance and dairy intolerance are linked. I also seem to have a problem with corn and eggs and so already avoid those.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,604 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

There are a lot of adults with lactose intolerance.  They may never make enough of the enzymes that digest lactose.  Some Celiacs find that, after they have been gluten free for a few months or years, they are able to digest lactose again. This is because the part of the small intestine that is damaged in Celiac disease is the part that aids in the digestion of lactose.

"Who Gets Lactose Intolerance?

Lactose intolerance is extremely common. It is estimated that 30 to 50 million Americans have some degree of lactose intolerance. Certain racial and ethnic populations are more affected than others, including 75% of African Americans, Jews, Mexicans and Native Americans, and 90% of Asians."

http://www.webmd.com...ose-intolerance

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#3 gerbilgirl

gerbilgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

I am dairy intolerant as well.  I too used to be a vegan but now I am more of a vegetarian.  I used to have constant stomach aches but ever since I gave up gluten they have stopped.  I tried eating certified gluten free oats but got a rash.  I know people with celiac often can't tolerate any oats.  I haven't officially been diagnosed Celiac yet (will get tested soon) but I will be surprised if I am not.  In addition, I have allergies to coconut (bothers me way more then gluten) and several fruits.  And thank you for posting that Karen, very interesting that dairy and gluten intolerances can be linked.  

#4 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

You must be consuming gluten if you plan on getting tested. I think it is a piece of bread or two for several months for the blood panel or less if you are getting a biopsy. Please look at the University of Chicago's celiac website for complete testing details.

Oh, I can relate to the coconut intolerance! I hope you find your answers!
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: