5 replies to this topic

mr120

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums but have been a member of IBS forums for a long time.

I have suffered with what is diagnosed as IBS for around 7 years.

I resonantly started a FODMAP diet which includes part of a gluten free diet and is the first time I have actually seen a bit of improvement.

I did a liver test at home a month ago which indicated I had elevated bilirubin at quite a high level (normal, +, ++, +++) and I sat between ++ & +++, Urobilinogen was elevated too. This test probably means nothing but I have read a lot of doctors who see elevated bilirubin and use it as a good indicator of celiac disease..

Until the FODMAP diet I was always soft small BM's, I now see normal BM's on some days.

I guess my question lies within my main trigger/symptom(s):

But I really want to ask - My biggest issue is when I have big stresses such as :

Leaving the house,

Having somebody come over,

Waiting for postman with parcel,

Waiting for an answer to a question that might define something important etc (like emailing the boss, is my absence gonna get me fired..).. 

I will have strong urges to use the toilet, even if I don't really need to go (usually the first visit, I do)

These urges only go away when I have had the event pass by usually.

Did anyone else before going full Celiac diet have this problem?

Many thanks!

Edited by mr120, 30 May 2014 - 07:56 AM.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,594 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

If you want to be diagnosed with Celiac Disease, you need to continue eating gluten until testing is completed.  

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

mr120

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

I understand that, ATM I'm doing the diet with the idea I have IBS as that is what I was diagnosed with many years ago.

But I was curious if the symptom I mention was one someone with celiac had experienced and remedied by complete removal of gluten products and possibly how long that symptom took to go away.

Thanks

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Liver problems, IBS like symptoms and anxiety are all possible symptoms of celiac disease. I did not experience those, but there are others around here who have.

Welcome to the board.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

HavaneseMom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

To me it sounds like you are having a stress/anxiety response. I have this too and joke with my husband that I am a "nervous pooper".
I have Celiac and while my anxiety related issues have slightly improved on a gluten free diet, I still do often have this problem in similar situations you described. I am constipated most of the time, so it is a real change in my pattern when this happens. If I know I am going to be really anxious about something and have the urgency problem in a social situation where it would be inconvenient, I will take a little Xanax to calm my nerves and it does help. Otherwise, I just accept the fact that I am a nervous pooper :-)
Grateful to be correctly diagnosed at 40.
Likely misdiagnosed since childhood.
Blood test and Biopsies positive for Celiac Disease.
Gluten Free Since 10/9/13.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~ Dalai Lama

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

'ibs' ought to be 'i.bs.u' - it's like a catch-all phrase that means 'i don't know what's wrong with you' in doctorspeak.  a symptom of what is really wrong with you.  i was told that for years:  you have irritable bowel syndrome.  sounds fancy, doesn't it?  of course my bowel is irritable!  WHY is it irritable?????????????????   

havanesemom, i also take a (quarter dose) of xanax when i am handed upsetting news or i am unusually nervous :/  helps immensely and if i take it at the first sign of "freakout mode" i can usually lessen the number of bathroom trips lolz ^_^

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, anxiety, urge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: