#1 mr120

mr120

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums but have been a member of IBS forums for a long time.

I have suffered with what is diagnosed as IBS for around 7 years.

I resonantly started a FODMAP diet which includes part of a gluten free diet and is the first time I have actually seen a bit of improvement.

I did a liver test at home a month ago which indicated I had elevated bilirubin at quite a high level (normal, +, ++, +++) and I sat between ++ & +++, Urobilinogen was elevated too. This test probably means nothing but I have read a lot of doctors who see elevated bilirubin and use it as a good indicator of celiac disease..

Until the FODMAP diet I was always soft small BM's, I now see normal BM's on some days.

I guess my question lies within my main trigger/symptom(s):

But I really want to ask - My biggest issue is when I have big stresses such as :

Leaving the house,

Having somebody come over,

Waiting for postman with parcel,

Waiting for an answer to a question that might define something important etc (like emailing the boss, is my absence gonna get me fired..).. 

I will have strong urges to use the toilet, even if I don't really need to go (usually the first visit, I do)

These urges only go away when I have had the event pass by usually.

Did anyone else before going full Celiac diet have this problem?

Many thanks!

Edited by mr120, 30 May 2014 - 07:56 AM.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

If you want to be diagnosed with Celiac Disease, you need to continue eating gluten until testing is completed.  

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 mr120

mr120

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

I understand that, ATM I'm doing the diet with the idea I have IBS as that is what I was diagnosed with many years ago.

But I was curious if the symptom I mention was one someone with celiac had experienced and remedied by complete removal of gluten products and possibly how long that symptom took to go away.

Thanks

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Liver problems, IBS like symptoms and anxiety are all possible symptoms of celiac disease. I did not experience those, but there are others around here who have.

Welcome to the board.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

To me it sounds like you are having a stress/anxiety response. I have this too and joke with my husband that I am a "nervous pooper".
I have Celiac and while my anxiety related issues have slightly improved on a gluten free diet, I still do often have this problem in similar situations you described. I am constipated most of the time, so it is a real change in my pattern when this happens. If I know I am going to be really anxious about something and have the urgency problem in a social situation where it would be inconvenient, I will take a little Xanax to calm my nerves and it does help. Otherwise, I just accept the fact that I am a nervous pooper :-)
Grateful to be correctly diagnosed at 40.
Likely misdiagnosed since childhood.
Blood test and Biopsies positive for Celiac Disease.
Gluten Free Since 10/9/13.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~ Dalai Lama

#6 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

'ibs' ought to be 'i.bs.u' - it's like a catch-all phrase that means 'i don't know what's wrong with you' in doctorspeak.  a symptom of what is really wrong with you.  i was told that for years:  you have irritable bowel syndrome.  sounds fancy, doesn't it?  of course my bowel is irritable!  WHY is it irritable?????????????????   

havanesemom, i also take a (quarter dose) of xanax when i am handed upsetting news or i am unusually nervous :/  helps immensely and if i take it at the first sign of "freakout mode" i can usually lessen the number of bathroom trips lolz ^_^

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: