18 replies to this topic

#16 KCG91

KCG91

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

Can you get a top loading food processor that slices veggies when you drop them in through a spout at the top?(sorry if that's already been suggested - you guys have different names for kitchen bits!) My boyfriend's one does that and it works surprisingly well. Having survived three years at uni with just a hand held stick blender I am so, so sadly excited to 'grow up' and get a food processor :D

Katie

Diagnosed with Coeliac and severe anaemia in September 2013

Gluten free 11/10/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 sweetsailing

sweetsailing

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

I just bought a mandolin.  Best thing I ever purchased.  I have been wanting one for quite awhile now.  This is what I purchased.

http://www.oxo.com/p...ine-slicer.aspx

A bit pricey, however I think it was worth it.  I made homemade coleslaw this weekend with it and it worked great shredding the cabbage and carrots

Diagnosed Oct 2013 - Double DQ 2 (2.5 and 2.2)

Gluten Free Since April 2013, June 2013, and finally strictly gluten free since Oct 14th 2013 (Ok, it took a few tries to finally realize gluten was my issue)

Mustard Allergy

Osteopenia

#18 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

We use our mandolin daily and my old food processor for huge slicing or spreading jobs....like making cauliflower rice for a crowd or when I make veggie soup I make huge batches and freeze.

My foos processor is a hand-me down from a friends grandma...is ridiculously heavy but works great and makes almond butter like a champ! Took a bit of cleaning when I brought it home...it was spotless but had lived in a kitchen with gluten for at least 30 to 40 years.

Other favorite gadget is my spirilizer....bought in the past couple years from amazon for about $25. I make zucchini noodles and the men love curly French fries ... So they use it often too :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#19 Wi11ow

Wi11ow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hi! And thanks for all the great advice!! I'm going to get a mandolin. I've decided to give it a try. I've watched the videos on Utube and it really looks like it can do great stuff with lots of different types of veggies!

And as soon as it's in the budget - a cuisinart food processor! There is not way my little one will make peanut/almond butter. It did the hummus ok, but didn't really get creamy.

It's been fun reading what everyone has to say, and doing the shopping online, dreaming about all the new and exciting dishes I am going to make!

The processor I picked out shows a top loading opening that I can add food while it is running  and says it will slice. The little one I have has the motor on the top and tends to blend, not slice.

I had a set back with unintentional G... really stupid. I opened a new bottle of Omega3/ fish oil. I thought I had read all the labels of everything 3 times... 4 days I took them before I figured out why I kept feeling worse... Anyway, I am still recovering so shopping will have to wait a while. I'll give an update about all the fancy food when I do get to the store and get my new toy!

Thanks again!!

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" ~ George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: