Photo
- - - - -

Chronic Constipation

constipation

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Low thyroid hormones and diabetic nerve damage can cause C also.  Just some other things to consider as it is not always diet.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

I have different doctors suggesting different things and I'm not sure what to make of it. My GI says plain soft, low fiber foods help a distressed gut and my ND says protein and fiber help motility to function.

I was doing really well, had found the right balance of soluble and insoluble fiber, then trying the wrong food has caused inflammation and C to flare up again. I'm afraid having less fiber and protein will make my C worse.

I already discovered something very interesting... I omitted all high protein foods from my diet today and the gas (can I call it "G"?) has completely gone away. It had been plaguing me for the past week plus after eating the wrong food had caused my C to come back. Actually "G" is an important component with C, for me at least. I get "airlock" or that's what I call it. Trapped G will keep anything else from moving through. I feel better overall today too.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#18 Mari

Mari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

I have used cascara sagrata and senna. These herbs can be habit forming so it is not good to use them daily. Diet, I've found, is very important. I eat gluten-free breads, vegetables with fiber, potatoes for soluable fiber. I drink lots of carrol juice. If I eat too much fats or oils it results in 'sticky stools' which do not pass through the small or large intestine easily. Since I have adjusted my diet and included 1 or 2 Magnesium oxide (300 mg) capsules every evening I have not had to use herbal laxatives for several years.

DQ6/DQ8
HLA-DQ B allele 1 *0602: HLA-DQ B allele 2 *0302
Gluten free and Cow Dairy free since 2006

#19 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Your can find the tea at Walmart in the coffee/tea grocery section.  Walgreens Drug Store has it and I have also found it in health food stores. 

#20 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

Been reading all of the comments and this is such a perplexing topic.  What works for one person doesn't for another.  Plus, just my thought, that what may work in 6 months of healing may not work at two years of healing.   Bottom line is finding the right combo (cocktail) that work for you. 

I would be very careful at eating much in the way of processed gluten free foods (breads, pasta etc) as they are stuffed with so many ingredients, ingredients that can cause adverse effects .  Just because something is safe for us doesn't mean it is good for us. 

On my soap box here, but....  I have been on the Paleo diet for the past almost year, eating 100% grain free and mostly all organic foods.  No processed foods.  The changes in how I feel, the ability to "preform" on my own the majority of the time make it worth it.  Going from my nightly Smooth Move tea to every three or four nights   says that what I am doing if right. 

Just some thoughts............ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: