43 replies to this topic

#31 dpath

dpath

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:02 PM

Folks: I'm the author of the WSJ article. I just wanted to thank everyone who has written or posted about the story, and to apologize in advance if I'm not able to send personal replies to everyone who's written in. The response has been overwhelming; I've received something close to 150 e-mails since Friday, nearly all of them from celiacs or their family members. I've shared excerpts from a few messages with my editors in NY on a not-for-publication basis, just so they know what kind of effect the story has had.

I also wanted to thank several posters to these boards who replied to my inquiry and were kind enough to spend some time telling me their personal stories. We weren't able to include everyone in the story, unfortunately, nor to give each individual's story the time and attention it deserved, but we did our best given the natural constraints of newspaper publishing. I do hope to do some followup stories, and with luck I'll be able to include some of the material that didn't make the page-one story and to address some of the many suggestions I've received from readers.

I treat e-mail as personal correspondence, so we won't publish any of the notes I've received directly. If anyone would like to submit a letter for possible publication, please direct it to wsj.ltrs@wsj.com.

Many thanks again, and best of luck to all of you.

Best, David Hamilton

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:53 PM

Mr. Hamilton:

Thank you for taking the time to come to our forum to communicate with us directly to let us know the overwhelming response you have had to your article. We really appreciate what you have done to raise awareness for this disease (as I mentioned in my e-mail to you today), and wanted to reiterate to you just how wonderfully informative your article was. Instead of just doing the "technical, scientific" aspect of this disease, you captured the human aspect of this disease. You truly have a gift.

Kudos to you!

Many thanks,
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#33 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:59 AM

David-
Again--Thanks so much for your interest in Celiac. Articles like yours share responsibility for the raising of awareness, which leads to more individuals being diagnosed. Thank you! -Jen
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#34 celiachap

celiachap

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:04 AM

Hi All :) My husband is "Mr. Martin" and I am sure the WSJ editors in NYC cut some addtional info about him out as his interview with the author was about 40 minutes long. As many of you know, Mike has been plagued with other health problems over the years that stem from his misdiagnosed celiac.
We were very excited to be included in this story and we were caught off guard that it was finally published on 12/9 (the interview happened over a month ago). The photo is from our 2004 25th Wedding Anniversary. Deb :D

Thanks, Deb!

We're ALL appreciative of your, and Mike's, efforts - as well as everyone else that was involved in bringing this story in the Journal (as those of us here call it on the "Street", lol) to fruition.

I know that you've written about Mike's "other" celiac-related problems, but would you mind giving us another short rundown of them?

Bill

Edited by celiachap, 13 December 2005 - 07:08 AM.

Diagnosed with Celiac March, 2005: Positive endoscopy, blood tests and biopsy. Gluten free since March 2005.

Retested Jan. 2006: Negative blood tests: "Results do not support a diagnosis of celiac disease. Serological markers for celiac disease were not detected."

Results for 2006 endoscope/biopsy pending.

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong.
-Thomas Jefferson

Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.
- Robert Green Ingersoll

#35 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:15 PM

I'm one of the people that David interviewed while he was working on his article. That was in early October. He has done a great job in telling our story, and it is just fantastic that it was a page-one story.

Thank you so much, David. It is a terrific article.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#36 FaithInScienceToo

FaithInScienceToo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:05 PM

I was interviewd, too - and am also pleased with the resulting article.

Kudos, David.

Gina

#37 CMCM

CMCM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:44 AM

The article said celiac disease can lead to Type 1 diabetes....that's wrong, isn't it....shouldn't it be Type 2 diabetes??
CAROLE

-------------
Enterolab 1/2006
IgA & tTg Positive
DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)
Casein IgA positive
Mom has 2 celiac genes
Both kids have a celiac gene.
Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

#38 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:39 PM

Type 1 diabetes is correct. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease wherein antibodies are produced which attack the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas leaving the body unable to produce insulin. The proportion of celiacs among type 1 diabetics is higher that the population as a whole, and the reverse is also true. Recent research is now suggesting that untreated celiac can trigger other autoimmune diseases, including type 1 diabetes.

I was finally diagnosed with celiac at age 46. I developed type 1 diabetes at age 31, but had been having celiac symptoms for years before that. Perhaps if the celiac had been recognized when I was in my twenties, and I had gone gluten free then, maybe I would not have developed the type 1 diabetes.

Type 2 diabetes is not an autoimmune disease. The Islets are still there, but they may produce insufficient insulin, or the other cells may resist it. The result in both cases is high blood sugar, which causes all of the complications associated with diabetes.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#39 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 06:47 AM

Peter--Thanks for that explanation. I had read many times about the link, but never really understood the "how's and why's".
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#40 sillyyak

sillyyak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:17 AM

Where can I get a copy of this article? I would love to read it. Thank you
Diagnosed 11-11-05 after 3 months of major symptoms, including 2 hospitalizations and 7 ER visits for dehydration and syncope. Otherwise, I had all "normal" blood tests and major scans. During those 3 months, lost 20 pounds, all my muscle tone, and ultimately could not walk for 2 days. Spent 6 days during the second hospitalization hooked up to IV and STILL passing out IN BED due to malnutrition with doctors staring at me AS IF it was all IN MY HEAD

Other related symptoms:
Osteopenia
Hypothyroidism
Gluten Ataxia - three "nodes" recently found in my brain (thought I had MS)
Muscle weakness
Fatigue
Chronic Constipation
45 pound weight gain since going gluten-free!

gluten-free since 11-11-05. Cannot eat bananas, potatoes, or spinach. Recently reintroduced yogurt into my diet and able to tolerate plain yogurt with sugar.

HATE the diet but psychologically tolerating it for my health.

#41 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:23 AM

Where can I get a copy of this article? I would love to read it. Thank you

The article is posted on the 1st page of this thread. :)
Rachel

#42 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:57 PM

Update -- I brought the WSJ article with me and asked my new GASTRO DOC (treats celiac disease) if he had read it. He said NO I DON'T READ THE WSJ. So, I gave him a print out.

I just got off the phone with my cousin that works as an art director in NYC in advertising for the medical industry (RX companies)... She said DOCs don't read the WSJ (unless they have a business brain), but the EXECUTIVES from all the RX companies DO. She said when they read it and see there is a huge need to find the magic pill and all the $$$$$ in it for them to cure us, it will get their attention.

Just a thought...

#43 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:14 PM

I think I'm going to send the article in my Xmas cards this year.
So people will get 'it'?!

This is a really neat idea. Maybe I'm silly, too :lol: .

But, oh, wow, this was an awesome article. Thanks so much, George and David, this is so cool. I will print this out and copy it for everyone I know...

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#44 julie5914

julie5914

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:07 AM

I am so happy that this made the front page! I haven't been able to look at the second article if anyone can share it...

I was interviewed as well - he did a great job on the story. My mom has diabetes type 1, and my doctor thinks I got celiac from her because of the autoimmune relation, even though she does not have celiac. I am a little nervous that I may develop DT1 because of that - she did not start to see pancreas trouble until she got pregnant, and I have not had kids yet. You never know what will happen when your immune system is overactive!

And I hope Mr. Hamilton will forgive me, but I thought it was interesting that he himself had been diagnosed with celiac and therfore has been through what we have with the diet. However, he was found not have it later when he had a biospy and went back on gluten without problems. So he has been there and back!
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: