This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Emotional Reaction From Gluten? Do You Get This?

tiffjake

nettiebeads Apprentice
I did the exact same thing! I've been there, too. She seemed ok to me, also.

I emailed a hug to her, too. I'm an ex-Navy wife so I understand those long separations. At least I didn't have celiac at the time I was married to him. Don't know if I could handle both. Whoo, I'm still reeling over that parking thread, and none of it was directed at me! My gosh! I'm glad the rest of us are sensitive and caring... Don't want to go through that again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast
Well, we have that down pat! :D We take vietnamese rice paper and brush it with egg. Then we wrap up ground pork, cabbage, bean sprouts, gluten-free soy sauce, and corn starch in them. After that we dip them in a VERY thin batter made from eggs, rice flour, corn starch and milk. Then deep fry till brown...mmmmmm.....they are good. I usually make my own sweet and sour sauce too, but I was lazy this time. I guess I got what I deserve....it's so easy too.....just rice vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce.

I'm glad! I think this board is the best place for people with celiac disease to be. I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for the advice I have recieved here. I would never intentionally tell someone to leave :ph34r:

Thanks, I will remember your batter.

I thought it might be the rice paper you use. I am having such problems finding the rice paper here. I thought it would be easy and I have been to the Asian markets and still can't find it, I will keep on looking.

Sweet and sour sauce is easy to make, like you said. However, in my lazy moments I buy VH as they are gluten-free.

I sure don't know where I would be without this board, that is for sure.

cgilsing Enthusiast

The rice paper is hard to find! We stock up on it when we visit my in-laws. They live in a bigger city and have a gormet shop that carries them, as well as an ethnic food store that carries them. If all else fails you might try ordering them on-line! It might be the easiest way. Plus they don't require refrigeration or anything so shipping should be easy :) We use the same method for making crab rangoon and they turn out great! Every once in a while we host Chinese night in our neighborhood, and all the neighbors come out for home-made Chinese food.....they LOVE it! And I don't think anybody really even knows it's gluten-free!

mouse Enthusiast

YOU make crab rangoon. Can you please post that receipe. I swear that all I have been wanting to do lately is go to PF Changs and order every appetiser EXCEPT lettuce wraps :ph34r:

Oh, Tiff, that was calious of me not to address the way you are feeling, but I got so excited over the idea of having crab rangoon. I am so sorry.

When I do get glutened (and not CC) I become a veritable BEAR. No one wants to be around me and then because I can't stop my behavior, I then start to cry. What a vicious cycle gluten is. This will pass and you will be your normally cheerful self. HUGS

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Well, we have that down pat! :D We take vietnamese rice paper and brush it with egg. Then we wrap up ground pork, cabbage, bean sprouts, gluten-free soy sauce, and corn starch in them. After that we dip them in a VERY thin batter made from eggs, rice flour, corn starch and milk. Then deep fry till brown...mmmmmm.....they are good. I usually make my own sweet and sour sauce too, but I was lazy this time. I guess I got what I deserve....it's so easy too.....just rice vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce.

I'm glad! I think this board is the best place for people with celiac disease to be. I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for the advice I have recieved here. I would never intentionally tell someone to leave :ph34r:

That sounds FANTASTIC--would you mind very much if I ask you for the measurements--how much of each ingredient, etc? Thanks!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I know how you feel. Gluten really messes with my emotions too!

cgilsing Enthusiast
YOU make crab rangoon. Can you please post that receipe. I swear that all I have been wanting to do lately is go to PF Changs and order every appetiser EXCEPT lettuce wraps :ph34r:

Oh YES! And they are oh so good! We have been perfecting this recipe for a while too......Hubby agrees that they are every bit as good as the Chinese restaurant!

What you need:

Veitnamese rice paper

Milk

Eggs

Rice flour

Corn starch

seasame oil

1 8oz pkg. of cream cheese

1 tbs of soy sauce

green onions

pkg REAL crab (they sell the real stuff in pouches now, so be sure to get it since the immitation crab has wheat in it...)

I make a VERY thin batter out of the milk, eggs, rice flour, corn starch and seasame oil. I don't know the exact measurments, but it probably isn't that important...I use equal parts corn starch and rice flour and just a little seasame oil to keep the batter from sticking in the deep fryer.

Then mix together the cream cheese, soy sauce, some chopped green onions, and a little bit (not too much) of the crab.

Then I take the rice paper and brush it with beaten egg on both sides (you may have to cut the rice paper at this point to get to the desired size. We use the large square ones, so we cut them into 4ths) Fill the middle with a spoonful of the cream cheese mix and then scrunch them up so they look like the ones from the chinese food restaurant. We dust ours with rice flour then to keep them from sticking to the plate while we finished the rest. Once you are done with all of them dip them in the batter you prepared and deep fry at about 350* until they are brown. They are GOOD!

That sounds FANTASTIC--would you mind very much if I ask you for the measurements--how much of each ingredient, etc? Thanks!

For the eggrolls I use a similar method as the crab rangoon!

Once again I don't know exactly what the measurments are, as we made this up....

I use:

1 cup of chopped cabbage

1 cup bean sprouts

1/4 cup cooked ground pork

2 tbs gluten-free soy sauce

2 tbs corn starch

vietnamese rice paper

a couple beaten eggs

same batter recipe as above

Mix the cabbage, bean sprouts, pork, soy sauce, and corn starch in a bowl.

Brush the rice paper with the egg like before.

Roll the cabbage mixture in the rice paper (this time use the full sheet of rice paper)

Dip in the batter

Dust with rice flour

Deep fry until golden brown!

Enjoy!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast
The rice paper is hard to find! We stock up on it when we visit my in-laws. They live in a bigger city and have a gormet shop that carries them, as well as an ethnic food store that carries them. If all else fails you might try ordering them on-line! It might be the easiest way. Plus they don't require refrigeration or anything so shipping should be easy :) We use the same method for making crab rangoon and they turn out great! Every once in a while we host Chinese night in our neighborhood, and all the neighbors come out for home-made Chinese food.....they LOVE it! And I don't think anybody really even knows it's gluten-free!

Which also proves my theory. If you don't tell someone it is gluten-free they will never know it, just like a lasagne I make with tofu and rice noodles with goat cheese. No one knows what is in it till I tell them and that is usually after they have ate it. The recipe sounds great.

cgilsing Enthusiast
Which also proves my theory. If you don't tell someone it is gluten-free they will never know it, just like a lasagne I make with tofu and rice noodles with goat cheese. No one knows what is in it till I tell them and that is usually after they have ate it.

You know...I've always thought that home made gluten-free food tastes every bit as good as the original! Rice flour doesn't have a funny flavor, so I don't know why it would! Any time we have people over I serve everybody gluten-free food, and I've never heard anything but rave reviews! So why can't they make gluten-free packaged food that doesn't taste funny?!?! Some of it is really good....Tinkyada pasta tastes great, but some stuff.....like ener-g bread :blink: what is wrong with that stuff!!

Rusla Enthusiast
You know...I've always thought that home made gluten-free food tastes every bit as good as the original! Rice flour doesn't have a funny flavor, so I don't know why it would! Any time we have people over I serve everybody gluten-free food, and I've never heard anything but rave reviews! So why can't they make gluten-free packaged food that doesn't taste funny?!?! Some of it is really good....Tinkyada pasta tastes great, but some stuff.....like ener-g bread :blink: what is wrong with that stuff!!

They and many others think when you have this, you have to sacrifice good taste. Then of course the availibility of gluten-free spices and other flavorings add a challenge obviously, to large companies. Unfortunately it offers a challenge to some individuals also. It is like vegetarian cuisine should suffer in taste and varience because there is no meat in it. There is not reason anyone should suffer.

Actually we have a company in Canada that makes many dressings, dips, popcorn toppers, cocoa, special vinegars, chinese mix, cajun, jamaican and Taziki etc and all but the soy sauce and one dip/flavoring is gluten free. Their stuff is good and great quality. The dips are not just for dips but added to other recipes. Unfortunately they are not in the US yet and everytime someone has wanted something from the US and we have tried to send it ,customs thinks it is a group of herbal terrorists living in the jars and they break them all. So, I have taken some across the border when I have gone down to the US and either mailed them from the US or I have been in the same state like Idaho or Montana that the person is living.

I am planning on putting some into gift baskets to be raffled off at the convention in Maryland next year.

Rusla Enthusiast

Tiffany, I am going to give you the witches curse. When someone makes me angry or they do something rude by leaving a note on your car because you are a little crooked. What you say is "May you get what you deserve" If you say it at least three times or you can even say it nine. They will get what they deserve, be it good or bad.

Now, the egg rolls sound so good. I am going hunting again for rice wrappers. I do love them and have had Vietnamese food quite often. Usually when I have had it, there is lettuce, chicken and shrimp in them. I think I would love to add some green peppers, bean sprouts, mushrooms and other things. I just can't figure out why the Asian markets here seem to be lacking in them.

I am sure you are so excited and counting the seconds till you see your husband again.

I am so happy that you are alright.

cgilsing Enthusiast

Tiff I'm glad you are doing ok.....words can be very powerful....we are here to support each other, not to tear each other down. :) I know what you mean about the emotional issues. I used to be one of those people who didn't understand how a person couldn't have complete control over their emotions and words. That was until it happened to me. I went through a long period of self doubt, depression, irritability, and a general feeling of the loss of self control. It was probably the hardest time of my life, and honestly I don't know why my husband married me, because I was not an agreeable person at that point in time. Once I started the gluten-free diet, within a few months I felt like myself again, and looking back it is so foreign where I was then. I know now when I feel a cloud desending over me, and start questioning myself and my relationships that I should stay close to a bathroom because things are going to get bad! :P It's impossible to ignore the connection between mood (sanity might be a better word) and gluten....at least for me. It has nothing to do with how I feel physically, or the incovienence of a gluten-free diet (because this happens to me before any of my physical symptoms start). It is scarey for me too when it happens. I panic thinking that my life might spiral back down to where it was a few years ago......but it won't......it goes away after a few days....and this will for you too. :) Hang in there!

Matilda Enthusiast

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Rusla,

I think I saw some rice paper at Lambda Market. It's the Asian Market on Centre Street and about 14th Avenue North. That's where I get my potato starch also. I know I saw rice paper somewhere. I think that's where.

Are you going to the AGM tomorrow? It's at 1pm someplace down south at a community centre. I'm not sure if I can go, but I know that there will be vendors there, so maybe some freebies.

Guest BERNESES

tiffjake- was thinking about you this weekend. Hope you're feeling better, B

• 2 months later...
Guest The Weasel

Gluten certainly makes me crazy.

My boyfriend calls me Wheatzilla...

...lovingly of course.

Archived