This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

TriticusToxicum

elye Community Regular

Yo, ho ,ho!! B) Methinks it was only a couple o' months ago that the last Talk Like a Pirate Day was upon us.... .. ..

Time, she is a' slippin' by.. . . ... :unsure:

Well, I need a good cockswain to get me around my day today....

My niece brought out her new pistol and passed it around the dinner table. .

:huh:

I have long experienced the passing around of new babies, of opened gifts, of vacation photos... .. ....but wow, letting all family members hold and examine the new family pistol.. .. ....'tis something...

:lol:

I went to Thanksgiving dinner once and after dinner, we glued teeth back into the skull of a murder victim.

Um, again.. .. . ....I have long experienced the sated pushback from a family dinner table and gathering for a card game, or liquer by the fire, or piano and singing.. . . ...now, re-assembling teeth back into a murder victim's skull? :huh:

Well, I suppose it is much like teamwork on a puzzle.. . . ...Jigsaw with bones...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kareng Grand Master

Too cute about the roo wooing!

So my inlaws saga continues even though they are no longer here. MIL called yesterday to say they wanted to rent a beach house for a week in summer 2012 and have a little family reunion. They had not set the date yet and called to find out when would be good for us (and if we would go at all). There would be a lot of family there that hubby has not seen for years and he really wants to go. After a lot of talking and looking over the area hubby and I figured out we would be able to do a weekend and stay in a nearby hotel instead of the beach OR plan B would be that he could go without me since it's his family. So Hubby called back today (less than 24 hours later) to tell MIL what weeks worked for us (based on his work schedule and when he could possibly get time off). MIL of course has already booked the house for a week when he cannot possibly come. I understand it's hard to accomodate everyone when working with family members from 6 different states but it was almost as if she didn't care whether we came or not (or she assumes we wouldn't come because of my food issues). Now she can complain about us not being there and make us out to be the bad people that don't care about family. I could handle them just hating me but hubby is crushed that they are doing this. He really wants to see some members of his extended family.

Not sure why but I started thinking about this while I was in the shower. :blink:

Maybe all the family members that are "attending" haven't agreed yet. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I am imaging them on thier forums:

Uncle Bill on his Ford truck forum : "My sister made a reservation for a cabin & expects me & the kids to spend a week with her. Never asked. I already promised a week at Disney. Can't afford 2 vacations and thier mom won't let me have them more than my scheduled 2 weeks. Now she can complain about us not being there and make us out to be the bad people that don't care about family. Have you had problems with new oil filters leaking?"

"Cousin Suzy on the Wedding planner forum : That's the weekend of my vegas bridal shower! No way I'm going to stay with some crazy old cousins."

But seriously. If they are staying close enough, maybe you two or just hubby can go down for the weekend only. Just get a place where you can keep your food in your hotel room so its safe.

elye Community Regular

Uncle Bill on his Ford truck forum : "My sister made a reservation for a cabin & expects me & the kids to spend a week with her. Never asked. I already promised a week at Disney. Can't afford 2 vacations and thier mom won't let me have them more than my scheduled 2 weeks. Now she can complain about us not being there and make us out to be the bad people that don't care about family. Have you had problems with new oil filters leaking?"

"Cousin Suzy on the Wedding planner forum : That's the weekend of my vegas bridal shower! No way I'm going to stay with some crazy old cousins."

:lol: :lol:

Sounds like some real, textbook passive-aggressive behavior going on with these inlaws. Hubby definitely needs to get in touch with the other relatives and get a read on who is really in the know... . . ....perhaps he can get in touch most quickly by posting on the various forums... :rolleyes:

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Not sure why but I started thinking about this while I was in the shower. :blink:

Maybe all the family members that are "attending" haven't agreed yet. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

But seriously. If they are staying close enough, maybe you two or just hubby can go down for the weekend only. Just get a place where you can keep your food in your hotel room so its safe.

I don't know whether to be flattered or blush that you were thinking of me while in the shower. :unsure::ph34r:

Hubby's going to call some other family members tonight and find out if they agreed to the dates. According to MIL the week they chose was the one that worked out the best for everyone else. I don't understand how she got consensus that fast however, unless she asked them about it MUCH sooner. We can't be there at all the week she chose because hubby has to travel to the opposite side of the country for a work conference the first part of that week. He has to be back at work to present what he learned at the conference the end of the week and then will be on call the weekend after that. The beach house is NOT close enough to us we would be able to drive. MIL knows my fears of flying (not of flying itself but of getting stuck at an airport without safe food). She had to know this would be a hard decision for us because it would mean a plane trip and extra cost of safe food for me. Yet she didn't even let us think a day on it before choosing to book it. She got some kind of special rate by booking it now so she says she can't change it. I just think it's rude to go about it the way she did. It would have been less rude if she had just called up hubbs and said "We reserved a beach house for this date, we hope you can come." That would have been better IMO.

kareng Grand Master

It would have been less rude if she had just called up hubbs and said "We reserved a beach house for this date, we hope you can come." That would have been better IMO.

Just treat it that way then.

I thought, since you leave near beaches, she would choose Maryland or North Carolina.

He can explain to the relatives what happened & why he can't be there so they know you all aren't just being rude. Tell them money is tight to spend on plane tickets, hotel, etc. Don't even bring the food into the discussions.

I thought, since you leave near beaches, she would choose Maryland or North Carolina.

He can explain to the relatives what happened & why he can't be there so they know you all aren't just being rude. Tell them money is tight to spend on plane tickets, hotel, etc. Don't even bring the food into the discussions.

You would think they would right? Nope. They chose Florida (where no one lives). We have showed her the beach houses that are near here (Sandbridge beach in Virginia is great!) and discussed many times that it would be great to reserve one for a big reunion or holiday sometime. I'm so over this. Not even sad since I don't know most of the family members. Hubby is going to be sad and hurt for a while though.

Avast ye landlovers! I need to make my MIL walk the plank! har har! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

You would think they would right? Nope. They chose Florida (where no one lives). We have showed her the beach houses that are near here (Sandbridge beach in Virginia is great!) and discussed many times that it would be great to reserve one for a big reunion or holiday sometime. I'm so over this. Not even sad since I don't know most of the family members. Hubby is going to be sad and hurt for a while though.

Your food issues are not why you can't go. Your hub is committed to work that he can't get out of. Don't even bring the food or you into why you can't go.

Sorry...I don't speak pirate very fluently...I'm probably the only one that never saw any of the Pirates of the Caribean movies.... :ph34r:

Your food issues are not why you can't go. Your hub is committed to work that he can't get out of. Don't even bring the food or you into why you can't go.

Oh, trust me we won't be bringing it up. Most of his extened family doesn't even know.

kareng Grand Master

Avast ye landlovers! I need to make my MIL walk the plank! har har! :lol:

Yes! maybe you should go to this beach thing. Get her some rum punch then take her out to your pirate ship to walk the plank!

Cooper speaks pirate: : Arrrrf!

Jestgar Rising Star

Don't even bring in the plane. Just tell them it's a work thing.

Don't even bring in the plane. Just tell them it's a work thing.

I agree with that. Money is tight but that's not why we can't go. Hopefully hubby will just call a few people and tell them he has a work thing that week and try to find out if they really said they were coming.

elye Community Regular

Hey... . . .alert: The subject of ANAL GLANDS has come up on another anything-but-celiac-disease thread. Who here was around when this subject just absolutely permeated Psillyville? :rolleyes::lol:

Jestgar Rising Star

Geez Em. Do you have some sort of bot that peruses the threads and sends you an alert when a particular word comes up?

Lemmee see, what would be on M's word list.....?

Anal glands

Kangaroo scrotal sac

Burundi

*snort* I just pinged Emmy three times!

kareng Grand Master

]]

Geez Em. Do you have some sort of bot that peruses the threads and sends you an alert when a particular word comes up?

Anal glands

Kangaroo scrotal sac

Burundi

Was wondering about this, too?

Wonder how Ray-shell's "dinner sucks" meeting went...

Ray-shell!

elye Community Regular

Anal glands

Kangaroo scrotal sac

Burundi

Mygawd, you have forgotten these top-of-the-listers:

Penis slings

Phart charting

Bad-ass Snow Poodles

Poo Chunks

Funny, but when the search is on for these words, only the Psillyville thread comes up. Wild......can you believe that?.. . . ...

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Parents and texans are hard core republicans. Bainbridge Islander are bleeding heart liberals. Sis and Aunt, politics unknown.

I'll be bringing wine...

I'd be bringing sumphin stronger than wine!! :unsure:

You can choose your friends, but you are stuck with your relatives. :blink:

But do you have to claim your inlaws?? I have a BIL and a BIL to be that I won't recognize as family... On the bright side, I love my future SIL and my step sister's hub is FAB!!! His motorcycle is on the cover of American Iron magazine this month. He builds amazing bikes!

I went to Thanksgiving dinner once and after dinner, we glued teeth back into the skull of a murder victim.

:blink:

Is there ANY way you can tell us about your family? Make a fake email account, change people's names, etc.... This is sooooo fascinating and I know NOTHING!! :P

Wonder how Ray-shell's "dinner sucks" meeting went...

Ray-shell!

I'm here. Barely. Been in a puddle of tears for days. Can't seem to catch up, having a hard time with my sister and this wedding. Shopping for a nice outfit for my son who's the only one who was excluded from the wedding-which I'm having a really hard time with.... We are celebrating Madeleine's birthday with her friends this weekend so they're all staying the night tonight and then we're taking them to the new Avaiation Museum's water park. Something to actually look forward to!

I got fed up yesterday with my dress for the wedding, so I went shopping and actually found the perfect dress in the perfect color and the perfect kick-ass shoes to go with. I may not be all for this wedding, but I'm going to look H-O-T!!! :lol:

As far as the 'talk' went, by the time I got home, Madeleine and Jesse were knee-deep in math homework until after 9pm by which time I was too exhausted to get into it. I did sit down with Max to get his opinions and what he would like me to cook more often. When I said, "Hey, lets talk about what I should be cooking for dinners" He said, "Why?" I said, "Because daddy said you all hate my cooking..." He started crying. I felt so bad! He told me he didn't hate my cooking, he just wished I made pizza more often and cooked less vegetables! :lol:

I went to epicurious.com, saved a variety of recipes into my recipe section, then picked 4 for this week. 1 fish, 1 steak, 1 chicken, 1 veggie. Last night was night 1. Asian style sirloin with garlic/ranch mashed potatoes and green beans. Jesse said it was excellent, Max ate NOTHING! He wants more of my lasagna... :rolleyes: Maddie will eat anything.

Can't win for nothin!

Mygawd, you have forgotten these top-of-the-listers:

Penis slings

Phart charting

Bad-ass Snow Poodles

Poo Chunks

Funny, but when the search is on for these words, only the Psillyville thread comes up. Wild......can you believe that?.. . . ...

:lol::lol::lol:

kareng Grand Master

!

As far as the 'talk' went, by the time I got home, Madeleine and Jesse were knee-deep in math homework until after 9pm by which time I was too exhausted to get into it. I did sit down with Max to get his opinions and what he would like me to cook more often. When I said, "Hey, lets talk about what I should be cooking for dinners" He said, "Why?" I said, "Because daddy said you all hate my cooking..." He started crying. I felt so bad! He told me he didn't hate my cooking, he just wished I made pizza more often and cooked less vegetables! :lol:

I went to epicurious.com, saved a variety of recipes into my recipe section, then picked 4 for this week. 1 fish, 1 steak, 1 chicken, 1 veggie. Last night was night 1. Asian style sirloin with garlic/ranch mashed potatoes and green beans. Jesse said it was excellent, Max ate NOTHING! He wants more of my lasagna... :rolleyes: Maddie will eat anything.

Can't win for nothin!

:lol::lol::lol:

I made an Asian style sirloin & put it in a stir with rice & some pineapple this week. R & M loved it! I think even picky J would have liked it. What did you do? I put some Tamari, little sugar, red wine, garlic, pineapple juice & black pepper & marinated about an hour. Then cooked it & set it & the juice it made aside. Cooked the veggies. At the end, I put the meat & the juice & the can of pineapple in with a little more tamari.

If Max got a small pizza, would he eat fruit & veggies with it? My boys will do that. Not big on the veggies on the pizza. We have a rule, even at 15 & 18, they have to take 3 bites. Not big ones. Seems to help.

Someone on here once said something like : It doesn't have to taste good to nourish us!

I made an Asian style sirloin & put it in a stir with rice & some pineapple this week. R & M loved it! I think even picky J would have liked it. What did you do? I put some Tamari, little sugar, red wine, garlic, pineapple juice & black pepper & marinated about an hour. Then cooked it & set it & the juice it made aside. Cooked the veggies. At the end, I put the meat & the juice & the can of pineapple in with a little more tamari.

If Max got a small pizza, would he eat fruit & veggies with it? My boys will do that. Not big on the veggies on the pizza. We have a rule, even at 15 & 18, they have to take 3 bites. Not big ones. Seems to help.

Someone on here once said something like : It doesn't have to taste good to nourish us!

I marinated the steak in a mixture of dry sherry, tamari, ketchup, sesame oil and fresh grated ginger. Broiled the steak to medium and while the steak was cooking, I boiled down the marinade to make a sauce for the steak. The first thing Maddie said was that it would be perfect over rice ;) When I got home from PTA last night I could still smell the sauce from 1/2 way down the block!

My next recipes for the week are szechuan shrimp over noodles and stir fry veggies, fried rice balls in a ragu and gordita cups with various taco toppings. I think Max will like the rice balls and the gordita cups...

I always add (hide) veggies to his pizza. He always finds them and picks them off. The rule is that he has to eat 5 good bites of everything. I don't give him stuff that he hates. If we're having asparagus, I'll give him carrots or something.

kareng Grand Master

I marinated the steak in a mixture of dry sherry, tamari, ketchup, sesame oil and fresh grated ginger. Broiled the steak to medium and while the steak was cooking, I boiled down the marinade to make a sauce for the steak. The first thing Maddie said was that it would be perfect over rice ;) When I got home from PTA last night I could still smell the sauce from 1/2 way down the block!

My next recipes for the week are szechuan shrimp over noodles and stir fry veggies, fried rice balls in a ragu and gordita cups with various taco toppings. I think Max will like the rice balls and the gordita cups...

I always add (hide) veggies to his pizza. He always finds them and picks them off. The rule is that he has to eat 5 good bites of everything. I don't give him stuff that he hates. If we're having asparagus, I'll give him carrots or something.

He's Max! :D

Sounds great! I'll eat Max's and bring him some gluten-free pizza. Matt loves stuff in a taco shell. He will be over on gordita night.

He's Max! :D

Sounds great! I'll eat Max's and bring him some gluten-free pizza. Matt loves stuff in a taco shell. He will be over on gordita night.

Great! This is the recipe for the gordita shells. Looks right up my kids' alley!

Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

Great! This is the recipe for the gordita shells. Looks right up my kids' alley!

Open Original Shared Link

These sound great! Let me know how they come out. I think these might make a great appetizers, too.

Just waiting for the satellite to fall! Hope everyone is wearing thier helmets!

Jestgar Rising Star

Thought I would try to sneak out at 2:30, but I'm the only one here. Weirdest frickin' job I have ever had.

kareng Grand Master

Thought I would try to sneak out at 2:30, but I'm the only one here. Weirdest frickin' job I have ever had.

No sneaking required.

Sorta takes the fun out of it.

Archived