8 replies to this topic

#1 hannahsue01

hannahsue01

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

We plan to go get new baking pans for cookies, breads, muffins and what not. We thought we might invest in those new silicone pans. They look great on tv but donno if what they show is correct. Has anyone used them? Are they any good? Are they worth the money? If you do use them have you had any problems baking gluten-free foods in them.....have you still had to grease them? Either way we have to replace them with somthing as all are metal bakeware has seen better days and of course has had plenty of gluten baked in them. Thanks for any input!
Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

I have no experience with using silicone baking tins, but have used the silicone cookie sheet liners and absolutely love them...won't make cookies without them!

I've found a short review of using baking pans here:

http://www.boston.co...baking_to_town/

Seems that you need to be wary of heavy batters in something like a loaf pan (bows the shape of the pan), and will want to use a metal pan under muffin tins. Also, apparently baked goods brown differently in silicone than in metal.

Michelle :)

#3 momandgirls

momandgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:07 PM

I've got cupcakes in the oven as I write this in a silicone muffin tin. It works great - I use cupcake liners - and you do have to put a baking sheet underneath it as it doesn't hold its shape when filled with batter.

#4 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:33 PM

I love the silicone bakeware, I use a cookie sheet under it, but it works great, I do grease it like a normal pan. I've used my loaf pan for banana breads and for sandwich bread. I use them a lot... I've actually got a whole set of them...

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:35 PM

I may need to buy some new bakeware... ;)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:21 PM

I love them, I also use a liner for the oven, I have a self cleaning oven but its nice when it spills over not to have to clean the whole oven. I dont spray mine and it doesnt stick.

For halloween we made two popcorn bundt cakes. One in a regular pan and one in the silicone bundt pan. We had to use spray in the non silicone one and it made it kind of greasy. I liked the silicone one better.

#7 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

I don't use them, but had to pop in to say that the other day I saw silicone baking cups. :blink:
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#8 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:08 PM

I have a silicone cupcake pan and I LOVE it! Can't imagine how I lived without it. I use liners, so I don't grease the cups. However, if I were making something without liners I would definitely grease them. Though, now that I think about it, if I have a cupcake that overflows out of the liner, it comes right off the sheet, so maybe you wouldn't need grease. I dunno. Either way, they're worth the money.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#9 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:20 PM

i have a silicone 9x5, 8x8, sheet and bundt pan.
i do not have the cookie tins because i have a nice one already, and since i use cups anyway, i don't really worry about it sticking. i love them.
Gluten-free, Vegan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: