This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dog Experts - Need Help With This - Why Is My Dog Digging Up All The New Sod And Eating The Roots Of It?

DingoGirl

DingoGirl Enthusiast

okay dog lovers - - - my 12-year-old girl is doing this new, crazy thing for the last few months - - she digs up all the NEW sod I"ve planted :angry: twice - - :angry::angry: and eats it. I don't mean the typical dog gently grazing on the top blades of grass for upset tummy.....I mean, she stands there digging for quite a long time and munches the WHOLE of it, roots, dirt, and all. and sometimes several times a day.

Is this pica? anyone know what she might be missing in her diet, that she needs to do this? and interestingly, now that I think of it, this behavior might have begun after switching her to her gluten-free Bil Jac dog food almost a year ago.................. :huh:

am so perplexed over the whole thing, and my grass looks like H-E- double hockey sticks...... :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2kids4me Contributor

Your dog is not alone and is in fact - quite normal. Certain breeds dig, they dig for insects, they dig for fun, they dig because they are after a rodent the hear scurry underground.

Now I know you are asking about sod - it relates, and here's how:

The roots of new sod smell good, sod often comes from nutrient rich soil where composting or fertilizers are used. This soil is also "tasty" in the animal world. think how they love to sniff poo, eat trimmings from horse hooves, and roll in dead stuff (eeewwww).

The smell would be irresistable to many dogs, your dog probably thinks you love him so much cause you bring him this great project - he has to dig it up to get the good stuff, its fun and its interesting. In dog's brain this equals "a great day".

I will try and find some ideas for you. We had our entire lawn sodded last year and we had to keep our dog off the lawn til the sod "took". After it's rooted then they cant get their paw under the edge of the sod.

Sandy

Daxin Explorer

I agree with Sandy. All dogs at the basic level are scavengers. IT may not mean anything missing from thrie diet, but if they are playing, or think the BRAND NEW sod smells good (or better than anything else in the yard), they will eat it.

You may have to consider fencing off the area or finding another way to keep the girls off of it until it takes. (Silly Dingos :P)

2kids4me Contributor

found a few sites - just so Stinker knows he's not alone:

Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jim Naugle grew tired of driving up to his house only to see his plants dug up, dirt strewn about, and holes newly excavated by his two dogged diggers, Snorkel and Scuba. So he beat them at their game: He built the dogs a sandbox.

He reasoned that the pooches mainly were looking for a cool, soft place to relax on hot days. So under a garden stairway, Naugle built a sandbox where the dogs could dig to their hearts' content. Naugle started by digging a rectangle about 2.5 feet deep, then laying wire mesh on the bottom -- in case the dogs "dug to China," Naugle jokes.

Next, the mayor sunk posts in four corners. He surrounded the posts with four pressure-treated pine planks to form a box, then poured clean white sand inside. Some people bury dog bones and favorite toys in doggie sandboxes, but Naugle didn't need to resort to much coaxing.

"They just loved it," Naugle says. "All of the other digging disappeared because they had a place that was easy and comfortable for them."

Yes, you can have a pretty yard that co-exists with a pretty pet. Even though digging is in a dog's genes, you can take steps to foil curious canines. Here are some creative strategies, now that spring has sprung:

Divide the Yard in Two

Consider designing your yard to have a dainty portion for people and, elsewhere, a sturdy, rompable area for pets -- perhaps using hardy grass or decomposed granite, suggested Sacramento-based syndicated pet columnist Gina Spadafori. Maybe install an electric fence to protect forbidden areas, suggested Washington D.C. area interior designer Odette Lueck. You know those foot trails your pet has worn in the yard? Keep them open. Don't vainly replant them. Large flat stones can create a pretty pathway.

Open Original Shared Link

Q: I have two dogs, a Corgi and a Lab/Basset mix, both of whom are diggers. They dig by the fence, patio, in the middle of the yard, and next to the house. How can I stop this habit? They are crated inside during the day. It is only when we are home and they go outside that they dig. I am desperate because I want to sell my house in the spring so I am going to have to re-sod the yard and I don't want them to dig it up. Also when I move into a new home, I want this behavior stopped.

A: The fastest and most sure solution for you to be ready to sell your house would be to do with your dogs what I do with mine: supervise them the entire time they are outdoors. While out there with them, re-direct every movement toward digging behavior into some other game, such as fetching a ball.

Digging is a very normal behavior for dogs that would be important in the wild for making a den to shelter pups, and for storing and retrieving food. Breeders often report digging behavior in expectant female dogs as they near the time for whelping. When you are not watching the dogs, it's unlikely you'll be able to keep them from doing a behavior that is so natural to them, and now has become habit.

What you might manage to do in your new home is create a special area for your dogs to dig in. Then, using your supervision, you take them to that area every time they start to dig, and praise them for digging there. The area needs clear boundaries, such as a small fence. To encourage the dogs to dig there, bury treats and toys for them in that area.

You could do the special digging area in your home now, too, if you don't mind having one area dedicated to this purpose when prospective buyers view your home in the spring. Either way, supervising the dogs the entire time they are outdoors will be necessary, at least until they are completely in the habit of digging in the new place.

Open Original Shared Link

DingoGirl Enthusiast

thanks for the replies! hmmmmm......very interesting. When we moved here, the sod was a few years old (and mighty fine looking, I might add :angry: ). AFter they peed all over it for 18 months, I re-soded some ruined areas......and that is when the maniacal digging started. And then, I re-sodded an 8 x 12 patch that wasn't getting proper water and had mostly died.......and then, she went to town. :huh: Annie never digs it up at all, just Tika. I guess it tastes really good......can't think of any other reason as there are no rodents, we live in a gated community with a brick fence and all the rodents are in the field down the street.

so, I"m about to add more sod. :o maybe I"ll put chicken wire OVER the grass, so she can't dig it up........I'll also rope it off for a while. then, they have to pee on the OTHER semi-freshly laid sod, and ruin that. :huh: I just can't win....................... :blink:

Jestgar Rising Star

Hey Susie,

Some friends of mine made a doggie potty area, a fenced off section with lots of gravel. They then trained the pooches to only potty in that section of the yard. The gravel is apparently easy to scoop off of and can be rinsed down easily.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

My Emmett likes to eat the rich soil at the bottom of cedar trees. He has always done it. I have started feeding him a little kelp to see if it is a mineral deficiency. Sometimes there are minerals in the dirt. He also has breath that smells like pennies. It always has. Maybe he has a copper deficiency or something (not bleeding in the mouth as far as we can tell..)

So maybe minerals. But maybe just yummy sod. Who knows. Take care.

Sherri

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2kids4me Contributor

Copper deficiency in dogs is usually evident in the hair coat:

The hair coat of Black Labrador dogs turning brown has been demonstrated to be a copper deficiency caused by zinc addition to the diet without a corresponding increase in copper supplementation.

Digging is natural in dogs, they like the soil and it relieves boredom..usually pica is - eating non food objects and is usually quite pronounced - the dogs will eat copious amounts of soil and the poop is usually all dirt. They will eat dirt to the exclusion of their dog food.

If it is due to a metabolic issue or deficiency - their haircoat is brittle, changes color (usually lighter) and dry skin is an issue, the fur also loses its shine and smoothness...

Sandy

gfp Enthusiast
thanks for the replies! hmmmmm......very interesting. When we moved here, the sod was a few years old (and mighty fine looking, I might add :angry: ). AFter they peed all over it for 18 months, I re-soded some ruined areas......and that is when the maniacal digging started. And then, I re-sodded an 8 x 12 patch that wasn't getting proper water and had mostly died.......and then, she went to town. :huh: Annie never digs it up at all, just Tika. I guess it tastes really good......can't think of any other reason as there are no rodents, we live in a gated community with a brick fence and all the rodents are in the field down the street.

so, I"m about to add more sod. :o maybe I"ll put chicken wire OVER the grass, so she can't dig it up........I'll also rope it off for a while. then, they have to pee on the OTHER semi-freshly laid sod, and ruin that. :huh: I just can't win....................... :blink:

I think you just answered the question yourself ....

AFter they peed all over it for 18 months, I re-soded some ruined areas......and that is when the maniacal digging started.

From a doggie perspective she just spent 18 months making that territory her's and your's... then you go and de-mark the territory.. while bringing in all these new interesting smells.....

In summary she problably started digging it up because it was new and covered her markings .. and she's probably already given up on you going for a pee in the garden yourself and doing it for you so she has accepted that responsibility for the family...just as she accepted you bringing back the food :D

Once she got into the habit which is a fun habit anyway she now associates it with being part of her "responsibilities" for the family...

My mom's little brat has the same idea about postmen.... or people who dare to walk past my moms house... she see's it as her reponsibility to bark her head off.... and if she does it well enough my mom starts screaming too ....

When I visit she doesn't do this.... she automatically defers to me and I only need to whisper "shut-up" and she will get all submissive and cower next to me showing me I'm boss.... and even bring me "presents" from her toy basket... to show she's not trying to be dominant over me....

The habit of returfing probably puts some of your smell into the earth, she's tasting it to check? Eitherway it seems to be working for her that you are taking the responsibility for marking your own territory.

You might also consider where you got the sods... were they pee'd on by another dog or fox?

AmandaD Community Regular

My three dogs do this constantly. Usually to burrow themselves in the ground. I've never found anything that really helps it - just seems to be an annoying natural instinct!!!!

(Mine also eat their poop on occasion, it makes me want to upchuck.)

DingoGirl Enthusiast

FAscinating answers. Eating their own poop - ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - - - this I think is relatively comon, my dogs don't do that but they do enjoy cat poop.

You know, one thing I've remembered - - I was thinking that this wasthe first time she'd ever been around fresh sod....but in Montery, I put in sod in the entire front yard - tons of it - and she never dug it up at all. Even as she was older, before we moved, I re-sodded an area.....and no digging.

apparently this is a pasttime and flavor that she finds enjoyable in her older years......think I'll just do the responsible and fasionable thing and check her into rehab. ;)

dlp252 Apprentice

Oh that naughty dingo stinker!

gfp Enthusiast
FAscinating answers. Eating their own poop - ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - - - this I think is relatively comon, my dogs don't do that but they do enjoy cat poop.

You know, one thing I've remembered - - I was thinking that this wasthe first time she'd ever been around fresh sod....but in Montery, I put in sod in the entire front yard - tons of it - and she never dug it up at all. Even as she was older, before we moved, I re-sodded an area.....and no digging.

apparently this is a pasttime and flavor that she finds enjoyable in her older years......think I'll just do the responsible and fasionable thing and check her into rehab. ;)

LOL.... it could also be because the old place already smelled of you .... I really think this is some territorial thing.... however the fact its enjoyable is proably not helping!

Reminds me of a friend who's an artist who just got a part time job at the National museum of contemporary art ... in his own words its like a guy being given a huge trainset and then payed to put it together and play with....

I think the loves the fun and she regards it as a job.... and its the combination of the two that make it a habit for her....

You could try taking some of her poop and burying it at the corners of the garden and see what happens.... ??

Jestgar Rising Star

Or you could just give up and hope that someday she finds bags of buried gold.

Viola 1 Rookie
Or you could just give up and hope that someday she finds bags of buried gold.

:lol::lol: That's a good idea!

Chicken wire would likely be the only thing to stop her and break the cycle. Older dogs to tend to come up with strange things to amuse themselves. Puppies as well, maybe they go back to their puppyhood after 10 :rolleyes::lol:

Archived