arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Here Sensitive To Fillers Such As Cellulose?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 jmb

jmb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

I've found cellulose to be mostly corn based - Microcrystalline Cellulose is in just about every medicine - when you ask the manufacturer they can't prove it doesn't come from corn.

I avoid it at all costs!

Although it is possible to manufacture, there is no corn based powdered cellulose produced in North America. It isn't viable from an economic point of view. Most of the powdered cellulose produced is wood based with a smaller percentage from cotton, bamboo or sugarcane residue (bagasse). Microcrystalline cellulose is simply powdered celllulose which has undergone a further acid hydrolysis step to remove the non-crystalline portions of the cellulose chains. This makes the product more dense, flow easier and compress better through the tableting machines used by most pharmaceutical companies.

Regarding an allergy to cellulose I am curious, does the reaction occur when wearing cotton clothes or if a sore/cut is swabbed with a cotton ball (pure cellulose)?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 abelc61

abelc61

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I was so pleased to come across this thread as I have been wanting to write about my experiences with cellulose for some time. Cellulose: it sounds so innocuous - like the stuff contained in vegetables.

Based on extensive online research, cellulose, also known as Avicel, microcrystalline cellulose, methyl cellulose, carboxymethyl cellulose, hypromellose, etc., appears to be derived from wood pulp, which is highly chemically treated. So, most of the time, allergic reactions are to the chemicals rather than to the cellulose itself (see footnote 1 below). Cellulose manufacturers claim that chemicals are washed away with copious quantities of water. However, based on my reactions and those of others, it appears that the chemicals are not completely removed.

The most common reactions are: rashes, digestive disorders, hair loss, pain, headaches and heart symptoms. I get a bad headache and non-stop heart palpitations for two days whenever I have the tiniest amount of cellulose. It started years ago with vitamins, then I had a terrible reaction the first time I took compounded levothyroxine prepared with Avicel. The pharmacy explained that Avicel came from methyl cellulose and that it was hypoallergenic - NOT! Once the palpitations subsided, I was grateful to the pharmacy for having used Avicel as it finally explained my reaction to vitamins and supplements which contain cellulose. I check the ingredients of all prepared foods as I recently discovered cellulose in gluten-free bread; I dread the day that I may to have to cook everything from scratch to avoid cellulose!

Lately, I have found only two thyroid medications free of cellulose: Tirosint by Akrimax Pharmaceuticals and Eltroxin by Aspen Triton. Synthroid does not list cellulose as one of its ingredients, but I have my suspicions as I got a rash and bad palpitations when they changed the coating from mat to shiny a few years back. For three years I took 50 mcgs of thyroxine compounded with sodium bicarbonate without any problems; then, in April 2012, 5 mcgs started causing palpitations. I suspect that cellulose has been added to the levothyroxine, but it is not listed in the ingredients. Since Tirosint is not available in Canada, I have been taking Eltroxin. If readers know of any other thyroid medications which are free of cellulose, please feel to post them. I live in constant fear of the formula being changed or the company going out of business. I was off all thyroid medication for months until I discovered the reformulated Eltroxin; it was not a pretty sight!

I would be very interested in hearing from others who have symptoms after ingesting cellulose.

Footnote 1 - Many hypothyroid patients at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com have complained that the cellulose in their thyroid medication impedes the absorption of the levothyroxine.

Edited by abelc61, 07 January 2013 - 06:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: