This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oil? Cross Contamination? Hidden Gluten?

Offthegrid

Offthegrid Explorer

As you may know, I've been still getting sick, seemingly at random, and have now eliminated soy. But that has not ended the problem. And I think now I know what is irritating me.

Fried potatoes.

See, I usually just ate them Saturday and Sunday mornings with a big breakfast. But we're moving to our first house next weekend and have been making really quick (albeit unhealthy) meals. In the past three days, it's been gluten-free fried chicken with mashed potatoes, steak sandwiches with fried potatoes and then last night fried potatoes again.

Each day I've gotten progressively sicker, and now my face is covered in breakouts and the Big D has returned.

So, I'm virtually certain it's from the fryer.

It's not used to fry gluten, so I'm pretty sure it's not cross-contamination from gluten. But in the past it did have vegetable oil in it, although we switched to corn when I went soy-free and scrubbed the fryer very good before the switch.

This could be good news, because maybe I can have soy after all. But it still leaves me SO FRUSTRATED trying to figure out exactly what the irritant is.

What do you think is the most likely irritant is here? Lingering vegetable oil? Fried food in general? Corn oil? Potatoes? (I'm thinking it's not potatoes because I don't get this irritated from mashed potatoes.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

It's possible the high fat content is making you ill. Next time you could try frying in a pan with a small amount of oil or roasting in the oven with some olive oil.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Sometimes, it takes a while before certain people can tolerate high fats. This could be something to look into. It could be CC too, that is being overlooked. I know that had stumped me a few times in the begining.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I was also thinking heavy fat content, zero fruit and veggie content (little or no fiber!).

hathor Contributor

I have a limited tolerance of added oil.

You can try cutting out oil completely or at least way back and see if that helps. That, of course, is the true test.

If this is the problem, it isn't the end of the world. After a while off high fat, one's tastes change. Now if I happen to have something fried it tastes queasy and rather disgusting. Then I get sick ... and I tell myself, "Self, why did you eat something fried? You know it makes you sick. Bad, bad self!"

Of course, you could have a problem with corn, but I think you would have noticed this by now.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I am affected by nightshades (potato/tomato/eggplant/peppers/tobacco) in the sense of it giving me weird poop. BUT...sometimes it has to build up. mashed potatoes are usually not every day, but my breakfast fried potatoes used to be.

So don't rule out that it's the potato, either. Also, fried chicken is probably fatter than fried potatoes. Of course, fried foods can need to build up too.

Good luck.

Offthegrid Explorer

I posted this on some other threads, but should add here: I believe it is potatoes. One day I ate a baked potato for dinner the night before, another baked potato for lunch, gluten-free potato chips fried in 100% pure cottonseed oil and then plain mashed potatoes for dinner. I was SICK as a dog the next day. Ouch! :o

I have eliminated all potatoes since then, and WOW! Much improvement, although it took four days to return to "normal." :lol:

Since then, the only processed food I've eaten is Fruity Pebbles. Do they have corn? All the rest has been whole, raw foods, so I will have to eventually test corn, too. I have been eating white rice.

I'm excited to find out what's causing my problem, and so far not as bummed out as I thought I'd be. I'm actually a little bit excited because down the road I want to challenge some things that I *thought* were making me sick before, but that I now know may have been the potatoes.

In another sense, I'm a little bit scared, too. I guess I'm afraid that I will get sick again, even though I've eliminated so many things. :( But I'm feeling positive after two days of normal trips to the bathroom. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 weeks later...
Cynbd Contributor

You bring up an issue I have been considering lately also. I too have noticed that when I eat fried potatoes I do not feel so well either. And I think it's the potatoes for me. Here's why...

I like to use Adelle (sp) sausages, slice 'em and fry 'em with a chopped potato, and throw in some broccoli and some other vegetables. (I used to have an egg version too until I realized I don't do well with eggs.) I eliminated the potatoes, and still stir fry the sausage and veggies and I am fine. Same amount of oil (usually Canola, maybe some Smart Balance). I am fine with tomatoes, but I suspect sweet potatoes are an issue for me too.

There is something about potatoes...

• 2 weeks later...
rsm Newbie

Cottonseed oil is of the devil! Makes me sick as a dog and it's in everything, peanut butter, roasted nuts, chips, try avoiding the cottonseed oil. I feel much better without it. No gluten, no dairy, no cottonseed oil, I'm right as rain!

Blue Diamond does not have cottonseed oil, Frito's do not, many of the organic peanut butters do not. You just have to be vigilant, as you well know.....

Archived