20 replies to this topic

#16 mandasmom

mandasmom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:44 AM

Celiac is considered a disability under the American Disabilities act. With proper medical documentation she may qualify for support from the university disability office. They maybe able to assist with the problem of the meal plan and other accomdation she may need to stay healthy.

My son qualifies for other reasons other than celiac. I have found the disability office very helpful at the local community college. Also, he get priorty registration for classes.

Celiac is def covered by ADA..its likley that whom ever u are dealing with at the Univeristy has no idea about that..keep pressing until you get the right person and certainly have appropriate documentation from your daughters MD. I have a 25 year old daughter who was diagnosed while she was in college too. It is a bit of an adjustment when learning to live with a chronic disease---but after a while you will all be alot more relaxed!! In the beginning I think its best to rely on naturally gluten-free foods. Many of the specialty items are very expensive and have varying appeal to varying people--one persons favorite is anothers trash!! Best of luck and good health!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 taylor!!

taylor!!

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:24 AM

hey again! they are so strict with the dumb food plan thing! haha, all the dorms a freshman can live in at FSU require you to have a meal plan as well. when i talked to them they said either a)i could live in an apartment style dorm (with upperclassmen) or B) meet with the cafeteria staff once a week and plan my meals for the week. obviously both of those options weren't ideal, which is why i opted for the apartment.

i completely agree with talking/registering with the disabilities office. they will help her with the food plan, and if she ever needs to leave class or anything for an "emergency" they should be able to provide her with documentation and an excuse for the professor.

she should see if there is a nutritionist/dietician on campus. if so, they should be able to assist her as she is starting out on the new diet and maybe even some local stores.

and liberty has such a beautiful campus! :D
<3 Taylor

Celiac since 1990

GO NOLES!!

#18 Beth41777

Beth41777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hi, I am 30 and was diagnosed with Celiac over the summer. Kroger has frozen microwaveable meals which are gluten free. My absolute favorite is Amy's gluten free rice macaroni and cheese. It really tastes like the real thing. I take it to work with me all the time for my lunch, along with Hunts snack pack pudding cups (all flavors are gluten free from what I have read... and they don't even have to be refridgerated.) Also many frozen chicken and steak taquitos are gluten free as well - Delimex is one brand that has gluten free tacquitos but there are others- (with corn tortillas of course, not flour) ... I pop them either in the toaster oven or microwave. I eat them with Daisy sour cream, which is gluten free. I also get Ian's wheat free gluten free frozen chicken nuggets which taste really good to me too. (Believe me I have also found my fair share of crappy tasting gluten free food, so I only reccomend good tasting items!) I order gluten free rice noodle soup bowls by Simply Asia a deriviative of the brand Thai Kitchen. You can find these at some stores also, but usually the ones at the store are not the gluten free rice noodle version. I order them by the case from the website, all you do is add water and the seasoning / oil / dehydrated veggie packet and microwave for 3 or 4 minutes. I eat fruity pebbles, those along with cocoa pebbles and trix are gluten free normal cereals. The gluten free cereals that you find at health food stores or at Kroger tend to taste terrible if you ask me. Hope that helps! I know it is tough finding quick easy convenient foods when you have Celiac, but I am learning. I purchased some great tasting crackers, graham crackers, pasta, etc... on a web site: gluten free.com Glutino - Crackers honestly taste like the real think which is absolutely amazing... they are expensive though. Glutino also makes good pretzels. Jo-Sef - Graham Crackers are good too.. not identical to regular graham crackers, but they taste good. I am always searching around for things.

#19 chrissyinnj

chrissyinnj

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thank you sooooooo much! I am now fighting with the university as they want to make her pay for a meal plan even though they cant provide a gluten free meal. Your list is so helpful. Again thank you!

I am curious how the food plan thing panned out. My son will be returning to that school after being diagnosed. I called the food service and they said he could qualify for a special diet if he had a letter from his doctor. I see the original post was a while ago...

#20 beefree11

beefree11

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hi. Not sure if anyone mentioned personal products that contain gluten. My daughter (college senior) decided to remove ALL personal care items that contained gluten and/or its forms since she also had issues/sensitivities to OTHER ingredients. But it might be something to consider. Then those pesky additives that don't actually list GLUTEN, but are:
My link

Hidden sources of gluten --
My link
"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them -- every day begin the task anew."

Saint Francis de Sales

#21 cyberprof

cyberprof

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

After I wrote this whole long post, I realized that this is an old thread. Oh, well. Maybe someone else can use it.

Everyone has had good ideas. My son is a freshman but luckily his dorm has one gluten-free entree option each meal time. But he needs to gain weight so he eats a lot on his own.

Progresso soups (not all - see label)
Hormel Chili (read label)
Oscar Meyer hot dogs
Rice - Minute RIce comes in pre-cooked 1-cup servings (expensive but convenient...or you could get a rice cooker) flavors are white, brown, wild/brown and mexican. Rice might be really good while she's healing.
Lunch meat - Hormel
Tuna fish (most are gluten-free - check label)
Thai Kitchen rice soups (like the Top Ramen my roommates ate in college only rice insead of wheat)
Pre-cooked chicken strips
Cereal - Corn, Rice and Flavored Chex cereals, rice krispies (check label on all these ...should say gluten-free very plainly)
Tortila chips -Dorito (not all varieties) Mission (make nachos with chili if she doesn't have to be dairy-free too)
Glutino pretzels dipped in peanut butter
Jars of applesauce
Canned peaches, pears and pineapple with cottage cheese
Hard-boiled eggs (anyone can cook these...good to eat on the run)
Gluten free frozen waffles

And if she wants to get a crock pot, these recepies are really easy. Maybe you could teach her over Christmas/holiday break. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ All are gluten free and most are the "no prep - dump and cook" variety. If she got a 3.5 or 4 quart slow cooker, cooked on Sunday, she would have pot roast or chicken stew for the whole week.

Good luck!
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: