Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Else Have Trouble With Popcorn?

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#1 LJCurly9

LJCurly9

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 07:52 PM

This may be a general digestion issue to even those without Celiacs...but my mom (also a Celiac) and I were talking about how we feel after we eat popcorn and the likes. Obviously I understand that gas and bloating could occur as the food is filled with air...but as far as stomach pains and nausea go, it's the same as a gluten reaction. It doesn't really matter if it's air popped from just kernels or if it's from a bag.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 07:57 PM

Hi!

I avoid popcorn at all costs. My problem is not with bloating/gas when I eat popcorn, but I have an incredibly difficult time digesting it. The hard pieces of the kernal (particularly the opened kernels, you know the ones that have the shape of ladybug wings??) really hurt my intestines going through.... I can feel them "grinding" their way down....

Have a great day!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:21 PM

:) popcorn doesnt bother me at all, but it used to--weird huh--now like karen--my dad cant have popcorn because of the hulls, he has diverticulitus along with celiacs---now today, i made cornbread and i knew i used to have corn flour and i couldnt find it, now i know why--my tummy has so much pressure in it right now--i bet i threw out the corn flour--the cornbread is very good, but my tummy doesnt like it now :angry: darn--its so good too, i am gonna make cronbread stuffing tomorrow for our family christmas--guess i wont eat it :( deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#4 judy05

judy05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:56 PM

I don't think all popcorn is gluten-free. I know Act 11 is, I eat it and it doesn't
bother me.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:04 AM

I haven't had any popcorn since starting the gluten-free diet 10 months and two days ago :), but I always had trouble with it before hand--it would get me sick. I don't think it was any gluten, because I could eat a bagel every morning without severe reaction--I think it's just that it's hard to digest.

#6 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 03:14 PM

I have a problem with popcorn and corn on the cob and get really sick. I think it's just harder to digest.

#7 kactuskandee

kactuskandee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:30 PM

I too believe it is the hulls that make it so hard to digest. It is the hardest form of corn there is, and as most of you know, if you eat whole kernel corn (a different variety) it often goes through the digestive tract undigested.

I love the stuff, but like Deb's dad, my GI forbid me to eat it because of the diverticulosis. Because I have IBS too, it doesn't set well.

However, it is NOT fun going to the movies taking rice cakes along because you can't have the popcorn!! :angry:

#8 Guest_PastorDave_*

Guest_PastorDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:44 AM

I haven't heard of this at all before. My mom, who was not diagnosed for years (I'm glad she was, or I probably wouldn't know I had it) when she was the GI said her intestines were almost smooth. Anyhow, she is a popcorn addict :P Whenever we are watching a movie, she pops a bag. I don't think she's ever had any problems, or else she would quit.

#9 rsavage

rsavage

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:10 AM

:D It is possible to have a sensitivity to corn at all levels. I have not regularly consumed corn but find it makes me excessively hungry and very uncomfortable kind of like my body is trying to keep hold of nutrients. I don't know that this will help. However, I have found by process of elimination that certain things I hadn't thought of do cause me problems. Perhaps you need to double check other foods as well. Just a thought. God Bless, Royann

#10 lilliexx

lilliexx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:28 PM

i have a hard time with any corn, but its probably due to the fact that it is harder to digest...but when you have a really messed up stomach you cant eat much without some kind of reaction..... :unsure:
Gluten free since July 2004

I have made it one year and feel much much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 cmom

cmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 07:44 PM

I can't do popcorn on an empty stomach, but if I've had something to eat maybe three hours before, it doesn't seem to bother me.
Robin from Indiana

#12 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 04:05 AM

:( I have a lot of trouble with popcorn. I love the hot, buttered kind, but if I eat it, I get really bad pain which doubles me over.
Also can't eat corn niblets and peas together, but the corn seems ok on it's own if it's just boiled niblets.
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#13 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 09:14 AM

Make sure you are eating gluten-free popcorn because most microwave ones aren't gluten-free, they add stuff and flavorings, the only ones that i can have that I know are gluten-free are Oriville Redebachers(sp?)
Molly

#14 DrLeonard

DrLeonard

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 09:45 AM

how about popcorn at the movies? anybody know if that's ever safe?

I've had the same reactions to popcorn but not consistently. Feels almost as bad as a gluten reaction but not quite the same. It's good to know I'm not the only one...thanks for mentioning it.

#15 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2005 - 09:49 AM

Someone above was talking about not being able to eat movie popcorn ~ MOST movie popcorn has gluten ~ makes me VERY sick. I avoid any popcorn that is mass popped in one of those "movie type" poppers. It uses an orange oil+butter mixture that has gluten. I have worked in enough concession stands (sports related) to know that it is full of gluten. AVOID movie popcorn!! :) Sorry!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: