17 replies to this topic

#16 one more mile

one more mile

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:43 PM

Wow, I so agree with what you say. I am 47 and wonder how my life would have been if I would have figured this out sooner and suck to it. Would I have avoided surgeries? Would I have been there more for my now 20 year old kid?
I never tied the depression to Gluten. Gee with out Gluten I may have not been committed 18 years ago. I may have avoided 7 years of antidepressants, and 4 years of not being able to be in the sun due to the meds.
I am glad I understand it now though and maybe that is why it is easer for me to commit to it. I have lost so much that I know taking a bite just to make someone happy is not at all worth it for me.
I never thought about the tv angle but you are right depression leads to more things that cause depression.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

wow, I cant believe my thread is still going. After reading everyone's posts, I really hope that there is research being done on this and that in the future more people will be aware.

What if, for all those people out there who don't have celiacs but are diagnosed with depression or some other illness are really suffering b/c of what they are eating? ACTUALLY, I strongly believe in the idea that what you eat effects every aspect of your being, from physical, all the way to spiritual.

There were times in the past couple years (this is when I started getting really depressed and sick more often) that I just didnt want to go on. I would cry eveyday and just lay around feeling bad about myself (althought I didnt want to. The goals I had were in my head, but my physical self couldnt work with my mental self.....it was like a constant battle!! I failed way too many classes in college and now I am paying for it. BUt I am sooo much better now that I am gluten-free.

I wrote this post back in may when I was still experimenting with the diet. I was somewhat gluten-free, but I realize the thoughts I was having and the way I was feeling was my body adjusting. Gluten is like a drug. hell, it's like crack. I can't even imagine eating gluten out of depression now....EVER!

I do notice that there are other food groups (gluten-free) that make me feel like I ate gluten. Dairy is # 1 and tomatoes are a close second....so annoying b/c I love sauce.

But .... My problem right now is my craving for processed food. I have to tell myself NOT to buy it, b/c if I do , I eat it all at once and then I feel horrible the next day, it's almost like a gluten reaction, but not all the physical results are there, the mental ones are. It's like when you eat too many processed foods, it reminds you of gluten, the texture, feel,taste.....your brain may see it as gluten, but then your body is crying out afterwards b/c it didnt get gluten, so then you keep eating the processed foods b/c the initial feeling is good.

My goal is to get myself away from this....I hope it is a common thing in recovery for other celiacs.

#18 crunchy_mama

crunchy_mama

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:32 AM

I could really relate to this thread. I have done this many times in the past. I got glutened a few days ago and again I felt it, I wanted to do something, but I couldn't bring myself to even get up, no energy or motivation. I had a vacation in May and decided I would let myself eat whatever. That set off a 3 month long cycle of depression- food binges and lots of laying around on the couch. I stopped working out. I was angry and mean, the house a mess. It was horrible now.
Mama to 2- 7/04 and 4/07- On the journey to get healthy and figure us all out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: