This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas

DawnS

DawnS Rookie

I did a search and didn't see this anywhere on the board...I hope I'm not duplicate a topic. But I'm wondering...am I the only one having a hard time finding the FFL brown rice tortillas? There used to be 3 grocery stores in my area that carried them and all of them have been out for at least 2 months. I asked at WFM and the purchaser said he keeps ordering and they just don't come in. I've emailed FFL twice and gotten no response.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

I know NC's a big state, but are you anywhere near the 4 Trader Joes that are out there? Their Brown Rice Tortillas are way better than Food for Life's.

DawnS Rookie
I know NC's a big state, but are you anywhere near the 4 Trader Joes that are out there? Their Brown Rice Tortillas are way better than Food for Life's.

I am not too far from one of them. In fact I was just there yesterday and didn't know they carried them so I didn't look. Do you happen to know if those tortillas are also vegan and soy-free like the ffl ones?

tom Contributor

I'm not sure whether I can tell the difference between the Food4Life ones and Tjoe's.

Do you happen to know if those tortillas are also vegan and soy-free like the ffl ones?

I happen to have a TJoe's bag right here.

Ingred: brown rice flour, filtered water, tapioca flour, safflower oil, rice bran, vegetable gum (xathan cellulose), sea salt.

Made on equip shared w/ tree nuts & soy.

They're not in the refrig section @TJoe's btw.

DawnS Rookie
I'm not sure whether I can tell the difference between the Food4Life ones and Tjoe's.

I happen to have a TJoe's bag right here.

Ingred: brown rice flour, filtered water, tapioca flour, safflower oil, rice bran, vegetable gum (xathan cellulose), sea salt.

Made on equip shared w/ tree nuts & soy.

They're not in the refrig section @TJoe's btw.

Thanks,Tom. I see that you are also soy-free. Am I correct in assuming you've had no problem with these being made on the same equipment?

I did just call my tj's and they are out right now, but expect a shipment of them tonight.

tom Contributor
Thanks,Tom. I see that you are also soy-free. Am I correct in assuming you've had no problem with these being made on the same equipment?

Yes you are.

Tho I must admit that my soy reaction isn't severe for small amounts, as far as I know, and may require a build-up of soy-ings.

Haven't actually tested it since going soy-free.

Hope they work for you, Dawn.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I can't find them either. They used to be at whole foods and trader joes and I haven't found them at either.

The last time I got them, I special ordered them and even that took over a month.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular
I did a search and didn't see this anywhere on the board...I hope I'm not duplicate a topic. But I'm wondering...am I the only one having a hard time finding the FFL brown rice tortillas? There used to be 3 grocery stores in my area that carried them and all of them have been out for at least 2 months. I asked at WFM and the purchaser said he keeps ordering and they just don't come in. I've emailed FFL twice and gotten no response.

Are you interested in making homemade tortillas? I have a good recipe, I am sure you could use brown rice flour.

DawnS Rookie
Are you interested in making homemade tortillas? I have a good recipe, I am sure you could use brown rice flour.

Definitely! I made some last night and they tasted pretty good, but weren't tortilla-like (too dry/hard). I'd love the recipe. Thanks :-) And I'm actually not sold on brown rice as being the best, they're just what's been available. I really would love to make something using at least partial bean flour for the protein. I'm a gluten-free/soy-free vegan and add protein to staple foods where ever I can.

AndreaB Contributor

There have been alot of problems getting them stocked for the last 3-4 months. I don't know what the problem is though. We were told the same thing.....they were ordered and not received.

purple Community Regular
Definitely! I made some last night and they tasted pretty good, but weren't tortilla-like (too dry/hard). I'd love the recipe. Thanks :-) And I'm actually not sold on brown rice as being the best, they're just what's been available. I really would love to make something using at least partial bean flour for the protein. I'm a gluten-free/soy-free vegan and add protein to staple foods where ever I can.

Well I am sure you could play with the recipe to suit your needs, if you have a problem, many heads are better than one. Go to the topic Baking and Cooking...then the thread posted on June 14th...scroll towards the bottom and you will see it listed. I never had a problem with them. Bette Hagman also has a recipe that uses milk powder and water that could prob b changed too. I have it if u need it, but see what u can do with this one. We like them better than wheat flour or corn and only my 19 yr old is on a gluten-free diet.

Archived