This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Betty Crocker gluten-free Mixes

purple

Mike12345 Rookie

I haven't tried any of the BC cake mixes yet, only the Chex cereal which both tastes just fine and is a welcome relief to find locally since I usually have to drive out of my way to a health food store that carries the cereals I prefer to eat. Wegman's in Woodbridge, NJ carries some gluten free cereals also but seems to be out of stock on their gluten-free lines, grocery and frozen foods, all too often.

Chex is on sale this week at Shop-Rite's for $3.49-3.79 which is 80-90 cents off reg price. As for cake mixes I have tried, the best has been Gluten-Free Pantry's Spice Cake & Gingerbread Mix. Hot out of the oven, most probably only keen taste buds can tell it's not a gluten cake. Holds up for 1, maybe 2 days afterwards. The b-e-s-t brownie mix, no contest, has been Namaste's, great taste, holds up for months in the freezer (wrapped individually and thoroughly). Very chocolaty and welcomes nuts, berries, peanut butter, anything you want to try adding for variety. Will see how BC compares soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i've been talking about these darn mixes for a month, promising my co-workers cookies as soon as i could get my hands on them. yesterday morning my boss mentioned she saw some "regular brand" cookie mix with "gluten-free" on the box at the store over the weekend. i literally squealed with excitement and was tempted to run out to the store during lunch :P

i found the cookies, brownies and yellow cake mix at Hannaford - and for only $3.39. i'm not a big cake eater so i got the cookies and brownies and whipped up the cookies as soon as i got home. the dough was really crumbly and i found it easier to grab a handful and roll it into a ball rather than trying to scoop out teaspoons like the directions suggest. i cooked them for 10 minutes and let them cool for 2 before moving them to a cooling rack - they came out perfect! everyone at work loved them...and no one knew they were gluten-free.

Mskedi Newbie

I made the brownies a few days ago -- they were a big hit with my family, Celiacs and non-Celiacs alike. :)

Next task is pineapple upside-down cake! :)

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast
I found the brownie, yellow cake and cookie mixes at Fred Meyer (Kroger) in the south Seattle area.

We did discover that you cannot make the brownies using melted coconut oil and egg replacer :ph34r: . I was trying to make them completely dairy and egg free for my daughter's friend. Should have known that the coconut oil wouldn't be right!

We did ours dairy and egg free but used spectrum shortening instead of butter and added just a smidgen of water to compensate for the liquid. It took longer to cook, maybe 10 minutes more at 325 and it turned out perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...
larry mac Enthusiast

I made the brownies last night. Followed the directions exactly (except I added 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts & 2/3 cup of chopped pecans). The dough was heavy and dense. They were not very good just after they mostly cooled. Too wet, seemed undercooked. But, today they were perfect! They just needed to "set up" I guess.

I also made the chocolate chip cookies (added pecans). They are really good also. I've made good gluten-free cookies before from scratch. But, there was a learning curve and it's definately more hassle to sort out all the ingredients. These Betty Crocker mixes are a snap.

Now I can make my pinapple upside down cake again.

best regrads, lm

Juliebove Rising Star
We did ours dairy and egg free but used spectrum shortening instead of butter and added just a smidgen of water to compensate for the liquid. It took longer to cook, maybe 10 minutes more at 325 and it turned out perfectly.

I used the coconut oil and egg replacer and they came out wonderful! Even the people who didn't need to eat gluten-free liked them.

They didn't come out so well using Nucoa margarine.

• 2 months later...
GFinDC Veteran

I just tried the yellow cake mix. First time I used the oven this year. Took me a while to get it working! It came out great. I used a 1/2 cup of olive oil instead of the 1/2 cup of butter. I added a handful of shredded coconut, some cinnamon, nutmeg, and a couple teaspoons of molasses. Baked it for 10 minutes extra at 350 degrees F. in a round 8 inch pan. Sprinkled some powdered sugar on top. It really rose great and tastes fine. It's about half gone now or a little more! I think I'll try that again. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star
I just tried the yellow cake mix. First time I used the oven this year. Took me a while to get it working! It came out great. I used a 1/2 cup of olive oil instead of the 1/2 cup of butter. I added a handful of shredded coconut, some cinnamon, nutmeg, and a couple teaspoons of molasses. Baked it for 10 minutes extra at 350 degrees F. in a round 8 inch pan. Sprinkled some powdered sugar on top. It really rose great and tastes fine. It's about half gone now or a little more! I think I'll try that again. :D

That sounds good!

Archived