#1 jlr

jlr

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

Hi all,

I was diagnosed about 5 years ago and as all of us do, I am diligent about being gluten free. Since I spent most of my undiagnosed life living with stomach upset, I developed the obsession of analyyzing the causes to hopefully find relief.

So now I find myself frustrated when I experience stomach upset - is it stress related, bad food, stomach bug or gluten??

Has anyone be able to determine the difference between any of these ailments???

Any thoughts or theories would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS - Janet

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hannahp57

hannahp57

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:18 PM

i had been going through the same concerns this past week. i got glutened on last monday..and was sick with that for a couple days. then i was sick again just a day later and i was so worried. i had never had gluten symptoms last that long and i began to question if i had another health issue. the symptoms are so similar it is hard to tell a difference. when i am glutened i will have the upset stomach symptoms, fatigue and brain fog...when i have a stomach bug, almost identical.
i have decided that if i cant figure out what i could have eaten or if it last longer than normal or i have a fever than i leave it at a stomach bug. also when im stressed i just get stomach pains that make it tough to eat instead of any if the more severe symptoms.
maybe others have more insight though. i certainly hope so because earlier this week i felt so awful i was beginning to think i was going to have to go get my gall bladder removed or something. luckily it hasnt actually come to that

#3 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:39 PM

Good question!

I have a mast cell disorder that causes mild abdominal pain and nausea, even on a gluten-free, dairy-free, corn-free diet. A few weeks ago I thought I was either having a flare-up or had been glutened... turned out to be the stomach flu!! :( It took a couple of days from the onset of my symptoms (stomach pain that woke me up at night) to the point where I insisted on a visit to the urgent care clinic... and then another week or so for the stomach pain to disappear. Some anti-nausea medication helped a lot :)

As long as you're not dehydrated, running a high fever, or in horrible pain... and it doesn't last for more than a few days... then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Otherwise I would give your PCP a call (or go to the ER if it's really bad). Just my two cents.
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#4 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

I had a bug this weekend. Man, the stomach pain! Pepto helped me to finally sleep. I had made a new food but all my ingredients were good. I finally deduced it was a bug but it is so hard to tell. I have been eating the leftovers for the last two days with no fallout. So flu bug it was.

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

quite honestly, most of the time, you can't. at the least, you can't be certain.

what I do when I get intestinal issues that are possibly consistent with gluten contamination, I review what's gone into my body over the past two days. could anything have been contaminated? if so, I just make a mental note to be aware of what it was. (if it's cross-contamination in an eating setting, I make sure to be more aware. if it's a product, I make a note to check into it and be aware the next time I eat it how I react.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 shendler

shendler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

When I eat gluten I get very tired and break out with a rash. The only reason I would care what caused it is to eliminate what got me sick from my diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: