Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Glutened Or Stomach Bug

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was diagnosed about 5 years ago and as all of us do, I am diligent about being gluten free. Since I spent most of my undiagnosed life living with stomach upset, I developed the obsession of analyyzing the causes to hopefully find relief.

So now I find myself frustrated when I experience stomach upset - is it stress related, bad food, stomach bug or gluten??

Has anyone be able to determine the difference between any of these ailments???

Any thoughts or theories would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS - Janet

Ads by Google:

i had been going through the same concerns this past week. i got glutened on last monday..and was sick with that for a couple days. then i was sick again just a day later and i was so worried. i had never had gluten symptoms last that long and i began to question if i had another health issue. the symptoms are so similar it is hard to tell a difference. when i am glutened i will have the upset stomach symptoms, fatigue and brain fog...when i have a stomach bug, almost identical.

i have decided that if i cant figure out what i could have eaten or if it last longer than normal or i have a fever than i leave it at a stomach bug. also when im stressed i just get stomach pains that make it tough to eat instead of any if the more severe symptoms.

maybe others have more insight though. i certainly hope so because earlier this week i felt so awful i was beginning to think i was going to have to go get my gall bladder removed or something. luckily it hasnt actually come to that

Good question!

I have a mast cell disorder that causes mild abdominal pain and nausea, even on a gluten-free, dairy-free, corn-free diet. A few weeks ago I thought I was either having a flare-up or had been glutened... turned out to be the stomach flu!! :( It took a couple of days from the onset of my symptoms (stomach pain that woke me up at night) to the point where I insisted on a visit to the urgent care clinic... and then another week or so for the stomach pain to disappear. Some anti-nausea medication helped a lot :)

As long as you're not dehydrated, running a high fever, or in horrible pain... and it doesn't last for more than a few days... then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Otherwise I would give your PCP a call (or go to the ER if it's really bad). Just my two cents.

I had a bug this weekend. Man, the stomach pain! Pepto helped me to finally sleep. I had made a new food but all my ingredients were good. I finally deduced it was a bug but it is so hard to tell. I have been eating the leftovers for the last two days with no fallout. So flu bug it was.

quite honestly, most of the time, you can't. at the least, you can't be certain.

what I do when I get intestinal issues that are possibly consistent with gluten contamination, I review what's gone into my body over the past two days. could anything have been contaminated? if so, I just make a mental note to be aware of what it was. (if it's cross-contamination in an eating setting, I make sure to be more aware. if it's a product, I make a note to check into it and be aware the next time I eat it how I react.)

When I eat gluten I get very tired and break out with a rash. The only reason I would care what caused it is to eliminate what got me sick from my diet.