#16 oreyes

oreyes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:29 PM

Hi............

Has anyone tried the Bob's Red Mill All Purpose gluten-free Baking Flour? I've made a banana bread (the recipe's on the package) and thought it was quite tasty. You do have to add Xanthan Gum but that's the only other ingredient besides the ususal ones that you would use to make banana bread. It's a combination of garbanzo flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, "sweet" white sorghum flour and fava flour. I've used it as a thickener in soups and other things and it works quite well. It's available at our Albertson's here, as is the McCanns oatmeal that many have talked about.

Just food for thought.....................Judy :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 donnalois

donnalois

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:39 PM

I took a gluten free cooking course a couple of years ago from the most amazing chef at our local college. One of the most important lessons I learned was flour is substituted by weight, not volume. I then add 3/4 teaspoon xanthum gum per cup of Gluten free flour mix used. Bette Hagman books have a nice little chart in them that lists the proper weight of all the gluten-free free flours so a bit of simple math and fractions and you can convert any of your favourite gluten-free free mixes for All Purpose Flour. Good Luck!
Donna :D

#18 hsd1203

hsd1203

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:44 PM

Good call Judy, I also like the Bob's Red Mill "homemeade wonderful gluten-free bread mix" it tastes great and will even come out well in a bread machine. It is made with garbanzo flour, potato starch, corn starch, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, fava flour, and potato flour... and it even comes with its own xanthan gum and yeast! I take a bag or two with me when I'm travelling to stay at someone's house where I know all these fun flours won't be available. Makes life a lot easier! You can make it with cow or soy milk or water, my family and I have tried it all 3 ways and it comes out great and (as we accidentally found out) it is great lumped onto cookie sheets and baked as rolls too. Yay Bob!

Also, on the same vein, Bette's sesame bean bread is pretty stinkin' yummy too. A gluten-free friend and I ate, ahem, half a loaf of this (oops :rolleyes: ) in an afternoon while cooking (something else I recommend for single-living gluten-free people, if you have a gluten-free friend or even an adventurous non-gluten-free friend who's into healthy eating, have a cooking afternoon once a week or 2 weeks and make a ton of food together and freeze it so you have dinners / lunches for the next week or 2... it saves a ton of time and money, and helps fend off bad take out decisions).

Happy bread eating (speaking of which, I'm getting kinda hungry)

Heather

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: