12 replies to this topic

#1 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

I was just curious if anyone has used this dog food? I am going to try my german shephard on the wetlands canine formula.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

I have a bag that my puppy refused. You're welcome to it!

It smells good, but she just refused.

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

I have a bag that my puppy refused. You're welcome to it!

It smells good, but she just refused.

I ran out of the usual food Nutro large breed formula. He would eat this fine and tolerated it without any gi problems. I tried him on the nutro lamb and rice formula (gluten free) and he had bad diarhea from it. I don't think he can handle lamb. I have been wanting to try this for awhile so I bought it tonight. He gobbled it up, but then again, he'll eat anything. I hope he does not get diarrhea from this one. I like that it is grain free.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 Imanistj

Imanistj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

I belong to a Siberian husky list that has more than 1000 members, some international. I don't believe any of us feed grocery store type dog food. I know some members feed TOTW and are pleased with their dogs' health. Long before I was diagnosed with celiac disease I decided that I would not feed any of my pets grains. My four Siberians eat Canidae All Life Stages alternating with Chicken Soup for the dog Lover's Soul, Adult Dog, and my three house cats eat EVO for cats and kittens. Now that stuff is expensive! After its most recent price increase I treid to switch my cats to a less expensive food. Unfortunately, my skinny, picky cat would rather starve. All my pets have been abused or seriously neglected prior to being adopted or rescued by me and I promised every one of them they would have a safe and decent home, a constant supply of water and great food, so the cats continue to dine on EVO. I, on the other hand, can't even have wheat ;)
Nancy

I really am an ISTJ (Myers-Briggs Personality Type).
Responsible pet owners spay and neuter.
Please Google prosopagnosia, a neurological deficit also called facial amnesia or faceblind. Yup, I have it.

Poor me--gluten free.

I'll have a grilled cheese sandwich--hold the bread.

#5 Raven's Mum

Raven's Mum

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

I have some of my dogs on the Pacific Stream Formula. They do ok on it.
Mum to six year old Raven with Celiac and Cystic Fibrosis.

#6 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

He seemed really eager to eat this. But like I said he will eat about anything. I don't feed him any table scraps at all because I can't stand to have a dog sit and stare and beg while I am at the table. He was a rescue dog so his eagerness to eat most everthing could have something to do with his past. I didn't have a problem with his food containing gluten before. I just wanted a better quality dog food for him. Dog or person the quality of our food has a big inpact on health. It being grain free is just a bonus. I had a chow/sharpai mix that had alot of ear/skin problems. I think if I knew then what I know now and switched his food to a better one (I fed him purina) that he probably would have been alot better off. Unfortunatly we had to have him put down a little over two years ago. When we got our current dog it had been a year since we lost our other dog. I've learned alot since then.

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

My wife and I own and operate a pet supply business that sells many foods including Taste of the Wild and Canidae.

Canidae ALS has recently been reformulated and is no longer gluten-free. It now contains barley. There is a grain-free Canidae formula.

Taste of the Wild has a feline formula and it is grain free. We feed it here at home to our three cats. It is not the only food that they get, but they seem to like it. They also get canned food.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Imanistj

Imanistj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Peter,
I had forgotten about the barley. I was perfectly happy with the previous Canidae formula and then they raised the price and changed the formula so I started looking into other kibble. I found a local chain, Country Max, that has frequent sales. By then I had introduced the Chicken Soup and the dogs were doing well on it. I prefer to have them on Canidae so I gave in and went back, even with the barley. Now, I alternate so they will be comfortable on either so I can stock up on whatever is on sale. I am not thrilled to use two brands that are manufactured in a Diamond facility. I hope they are being careful after having to recall in the not too distant past. Years ago, when I was working, I fed the Sibes Solid Gold Beef and Barley. I had to switch to Canidae when I could no longer afford Solid Gold. I thought I could afford to be a responsible pet owner when I decided to retire. I was feeding four Sibes and two cats back then. When the economy went bad and my meager portfolio took quite a beating I realized I hadn't really forecast the expense of feeding my pets food I believe is good for them. It didn't make things any easier when my son managed to convince me to take a third cat. It will break my heart if I have to cut back even further and feed the pets food I consider trash. Right now I am able to find the dogs' food at less than $1.00 per pound, by chasing sales. The cat food is crazy expensive but they don't eat a lot so I can still afford EVO. That is something I can't find a sale for. What do you consider the best kibble for dogs?
Nancy

I really am an ISTJ (Myers-Briggs Personality Type).
Responsible pet owners spay and neuter.
Please Google prosopagnosia, a neurological deficit also called facial amnesia or faceblind. Yup, I have it.

Poor me--gluten free.

I'll have a grilled cheese sandwich--hold the bread.

#9 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:03 PM

We feed our dogs the Diamond Naturals foods. They do contain barley, but no wheat or corn. I am not concerned about the recalls a few years back... almost all dog foods end up on recall lists from time to time. With Diamond, several years ago they got that one really bad batch of corn and that was a disaster but they changed a lot since then (and, again, the Naturals lines don't even contain corn now). When Melamine was the issue, Diamond was being so careful about how they sourced their ingredients but then one of the outside companies that contracted with them to produce their foods ran a line of tainted stuff. As a precaution, Diamond recalled all their foods produced in that plant even though there was no evidence that the tainted product made it into any of the Diamond brand food.

I think they had a slightly different issue with their canned dog food recall but we don't feed canned so I don't remember what that was about.

Our dog food is stored and fed in the outdoor kennel so I don't really need it to be gluten-free. But wheat and corn are common allergens for dogs and I feel better not giving them a food that contains them. I think there ARE better foods out there, especially some of the grain-free ones, but they're prohibitively expensive. We get Diamond Naturals for about $24 for a 40 lb bag.

I would seriously consider feeding Black Gold dog food if it were readily available but none of the farm stores in our neighborhood carry it. I brought home some samples from a field trial once and my dogs adored it. The ingredients appear to be high quality, also. But I would have to go way out of my way to buy it.

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#10 Shess0816

Shess0816

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

I was just curious if anyone has used this dog food? I am going to try my german shephard on the wetlands canine formula.

I have two female German Shepherds and rotate them between Taste of the Wild and Wellness Core. They do REALLY well on both of those dog foods. Kind of like you'd mentioned earlier, the very first dog I had, I fed Purina to because I did not know any better. That poor dog had so many skin problems and stomach problems and we ended up having to have her put to sleep due to health issues that could not be resolved. She was just miserable. That was 10 years ago and I have learned a lot since then.

I don't feed my dogs any foods with grains in them and I feed them a higher protein diet. I've noticed that they seem to have MUCH more energy, they shed less, coats are shinier, stomachs have been solid, eyes are clearer, and (knock on wood) I haven't had any health problems with either one of them since I got them both four years ago. Zoe is 7 and Raven is almost 6. They still act like little puppies! :D

I really really like the Taste of the Wild and I like that it has different protein source options too. I'd definitely reccomend it! Another grain free food I've tried with them and they really liked was the Solid Gold Barking at the Moon food. It actually says Gluten Free on the bag! lol

At 4:30 every single day, my two girls are sitting at my feet whining to eat!! lol I guess the grain free food must be okay!

#11 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

I have two female German Shepherds and rotate them between Taste of the Wild and Wellness Core. They do REALLY well on both of those dog foods. Kind of like you'd mentioned earlier, the very first dog I had, I fed Purina to because I did not know any better. That poor dog had so many skin problems and stomach problems and we ended up having to have her put to sleep due to health issues that could not be resolved. She was just miserable. That was 10 years ago and I have learned a lot since then.

I don't feed my dogs any foods with grains in them and I feed them a higher protein diet. I've noticed that they seem to have MUCH more energy, they shed less, coats are shinier, stomachs have been solid, eyes are clearer, and (knock on wood) I haven't had any health problems with either one of them since I got them both four years ago. Zoe is 7 and Raven is almost 6. They still act like little puppies! :D

I really really like the Taste of the Wild and I like that it has different protein source options too. I'd definitely reccomend it! Another grain free food I've tried with them and they really liked was the Solid Gold Barking at the Moon food. It actually says Gluten Free on the bag! lol

At 4:30 every single day, my two girls are sitting at my feet whining to eat!! lol I guess the grain free food must be okay!

He has been eating this since Nov. 21st. I ran out of his other food and started him on this cold turkey. He really likes it, but I did notice him having loose stool at the beginning. I'm not sure if it has resolved yet or not. He seems allright now though.

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#12 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

My dog eats EVO grain free. He has also eaten Orijen grain free. Both are great. Our store says those two are the best brands, though they do carry the one you are considering. I find that grain free is the way to go.

#13 OptimisticMom42

OptimisticMom42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

My 19 year old cat started refusing evo a couple weeks ago. No idea why. She can't afford to miss a meal so we are trying everything. Mostly she is eating tuna, ham, evaporated milk and water. She had become so thin her back bones were really pronounced. I thought we were going to lose her. Now she is gaining again. The litter box looks normal and she is still jumping up into the window sill and onto the furniture.

I drove all the way to the city for the evo...... now I don't know if she was just sick (bad hairball?) or if there was something off about the food. I know she will not eat regular grocery store cat food.

Does anyone have a good home made cat food recipe?
Dx Celiacs March '09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: