This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cruise - Want To Bring My Own Food

Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge Community Regular

So, I'm headed out in about 2 weeks on a carnival cruise. First cruise since going gluten-free and carnival was my last choice, but my husband's boss is an inconsiderate you-know-what, and ignored my requests for several other cruise lines that could better accomodate my food allergies (even though he ended up paying more than he would have for the RC cruise since he waited to book it last minute). BUT, that's another story altogether :P

ANYWAY, the carnival customer service people have told me I have nothing to worry about, I will be in good hands, blah blah blah. However, everyone I've talked to who has been on a carnival cruise, and reports from gluten-free diners I've read online tell me a completely different story. I've been gluten-free for almost 4 years, so I know the ropes for eating gluten-free and what to watch out for. I'm just wondering what the regulations are for international travel as far as packing my own food. Does it all have to be prepackaged junk, or can I bring my own (homemade) breads and snacks? We're sailing out of Texas, but since we're going to the Carribbean, I wasn't sure if they restrict that sort of thing.

Any advice on who I need to contact or what the rules are would be great!

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

The cruise company can tell you what the regulations are for your own food.

Once you are on board be sure to talk with the kitchen and head chef. Let them know that you talked to "name of person you talked to" and were guaranteed that your food would be gluten free without cross contamination. Tell them you are so glad because if you get sick you will expect money back from the cruise and any medical bills paid by them. Smile nicely and be so happy about being gluten free and finding a cruise line that provides this service. If that doesn't guarantee your food will be gluten free, nothing will.

Now relax about not getting your choice of cruise lines. Enjoy this time on a wonderful vacation. You need the time away.

Should you get glutened be sure to throw up all over the boss first thing. Call for the doctor to make a report should you get sick.

Diva1 Enthusiast

So, I'm headed out in about 2 weeks on a carnival cruise. First cruise since going gluten-free and carnival was my last choice, but my husband's boss is an inconsiderate you-know-what, and ignored my requests for several other cruise lines that could better accomodate my food allergies (even though he ended up paying more than he would have for the RC cruise since he waited to book it last minute). BUT, that's another story altogether :P

ANYWAY, the carnival customer service people have told me I have nothing to worry about, I will be in good hands, blah blah blah. However, everyone I've talked to who has been on a carnival cruise, and reports from gluten-free diners I've read online tell me a completely different story. I've been gluten-free for almost 4 years, so I know the ropes for eating gluten-free and what to watch out for. I'm just wondering what the regulations are for international travel as far as packing my own food. Does it all have to be prepackaged junk, or can I bring my own (homemade) breads and snacks? We're sailing out of Texas, but since we're going to the Carribbean, I wasn't sure if they restrict that sort of thing.

Any advice on who I need to contact or what the rules are would be great!

Thanks!!

Hi

I just came back from cruise Holland america...all the same ...anyway the gluten free diners were great...but watch out for the buffets....bring all the food you want in your suitcase...I brought bread and treats...and nobody even noticed....make sure you can get gluten free foods for you breakfast and lunches..usually in the dining room.. ohterwise you will eat boiled eggs for 2 weeks....the salads at lunch looked delicious but next to the lettuce were the croutons all over the place and next to the fruit plates there was some sort of mueslix...all over the place...

anyway they are very good in the dining rooms but be carefull any other eating area..

have a fun trip....enjoy and be gluten free..

Diva :)

Sweetfudge Community Regular

The cruise company can tell you what the regulations are for your own food.

Once you are on board be sure to talk with the kitchen and head chef. Let them know that you talked to "name of person you talked to" and were guaranteed that your food would be gluten free without cross contamination. Tell them you are so glad because if you get sick you will expect money back from the cruise and any medical bills paid by them. Smile nicely and be so happy about being gluten free and finding a cruise line that provides this service. If that doesn't guarantee your food will be gluten free, nothing will.

Now relax about not getting your choice of cruise lines. Enjoy this time on a wonderful vacation. You need the time away.

Should you get glutened be sure to throw up all over the boss first thing. Call for the doctor to make a report should you get sick.

Lol thanks for the encouragement! Made me laugh. Don't think my husband would appreciate it too much...he says I have a flair for the dramatic, and is hoping this doesn't become a big issue while on our trip. Thankfully I've kinda realized I don't want it to be, so I'm just going to do what I can to prepare, and go with it as easily as I can.

Hi

I just came back from cruise Holland america...all the same ...anyway the gluten free diners were great...but watch out for the buffets....bring all the food you want in your suitcase...I brought bread and treats...and nobody even noticed....make sure you can get gluten free foods for you breakfast and lunches..usually in the dining room.. ohterwise you will eat boiled eggs for 2 weeks....the salads at lunch looked delicious but next to the lettuce were the croutons all over the place and next to the fruit plates there was some sort of mueslix...all over the place...

anyway they are very good in the dining rooms but be carefull any other eating area..

have a fun trip....enjoy and be gluten free..

Diva :)

Yeah, not a fan of the buffets, but I'll do the best I can. I think as long as I'm ready to eat out of my suitcase the whole time, if need be, I won't run into any problems (other than getting bored w/ the stuff I bring :P ).

Thanks you guys for your advice. I'm feeling better about this already :)

• 3 weeks later...
Lesx2 Newbie

Hi,

I just got back from a 11 day cruise on RC. Was pleasently surprised on their assistance and awareness of gluten-free needs. I called the cruise lines ahead of time and they noted my gluten-free status on my record. The first night at dinner the head waiter came to the table right away to discuss my needs. Each night he would present the menu for the following evening so I could select my choices so that the chef could prepare a meal to meet my needs. Each night they provided me with gluten-free bread slice while my dining companions ate their rolls.d (We made sure to tip the head waiter extra and to let him know why!).

The buffet was challenging, but I would find a head supervisors and they would walk me around the selections and show me what I could eat. While I couldn't count on their recommendations 100%, I could pick ad choose from their based on my experience and needs. They really did try and that is more that you can say for alot of resturants! I would eat the baked potato, carved meat of the day, and fruit. Breakfast was the most challenging (I can't eat eggs), so I would get a banana, pineapple, or apple and supplement with my own food. For lunch, I would take my own bread and made a sandwich or my own salad dressing and make up a salad. The supervisors was always willing to get something from the kitchen if need be.

Our best experience was in the speciality steak restuarant. The chef even made me a very special dessert for my birthday.

That being said, I never travel without a suitcase just of gluten-free food. Yes, sometimes you have to pay extra on the airlines for the bag, but its worth it. I travel worldwide on business and I have never been stopped ( I dont take fresh fruit as that is not allowed out of country). For the cruise I took peanut butter, gluten-free bread, muffins, snack foods, hot cereal, gluten-free salad dressing, gluten-free crackers, cheese (one kind I can eat), etc. I tuck in a insulated cooler lunch bag to take with items with me to buffet. Also take a paring knife, zip lock baggies (to make up snacks or lunch to take with you on tours). All went well!

If your cabin does not have a refrig in it (some newer ships do), request one in advance (they are usually the small dorm size) so you can keep your food cool as needed.

Have a great time!

bbuster Explorer

I don't think they care at all what food you bring, just no alcohol.

I think they asked about fresh fruits and vegetables after the cruise (going through customs). They would not let you take any of their food off the ship (like an apple for the the ride home).

ajay Newbie

Sweetfudge, do you have a follow-up report?

Because in about two weeks, *I'm* headed out on a Carnival Cruise... :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived