9 replies to this topic

#1 Yasmine

Yasmine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Looking for a good bread recipe that is yeast, egg, gluten, and dairy free. Tall order, I know, but most of the quick bread mixes I've had are okay--looking for something like a plain or corn dinner muffin that isn't too sweet. Anybody have any good ones? (I am also garlic free, black pepper free, orange free, and a few other things but can have most gluten-free flours and dairy free margarine).

Yasmine
"How you spend your time is how you spend your life."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 purple

purple

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

If nobody posts a recipe you could google on the web a recipe for it. Try gluten free, yeast free, vegan, bread recipe. There are a few out there. My dd is gluten-free/vegan, not yeast free.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#3 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

I have a recipe for Irish Soda Bread by Bette Hagman that fits every category except dairy free b/c it used one cup of sour cream; however, I have substituted pumpkin for the sour cream and it came out very good. I THINK you could substitute applesauce, as well, but have never tried it. Let me know if you're interested.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#4 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

I didn't have time to respond to your post yeasterday. (and very little time today, so this may be confusing) :rolleyes:

A good mix to use a start, is some of the Chebe bread mixes. Some of the mixes have dairy so read the label! You have to find a good substitue for replacing 2 eggs. It has suggested subs for the butter/oil and liquid you can use anything down to water.

It is a different texture. More like a denser artisian bread. It also has more of a salty taste.

Good luck! Please let me know if you find a better recipe.
Michigan

#5 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

Making bread without those things really isn't difficult IMHO. I bake all the time, and never use dairy, eggs, or even sugar (and no gluten of course). Baking powder works in place of yeast in most cases too. It's just that you need to take the difference into consideration if you're starting with a yeast risen bread recipe. Sure, the taste will be different, but that's to be expected. For best results, use a baking powder based on Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (SAPP). This will provide a much better rise than say Rumford's, which I found to basically fizzle out before I could get the dough into the oven. Bob's Red Mill baking powder is of the SAPP type.

The recipe you use depends on the sort of bread you are trying to bake. If you can outline the texture and crust you are aiming for, that should help others in giving you some tips and recipes. Also, it might help to know how you plan to use it. For example, sandwiches, toast & jam, French toast, garlic bread, etc.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#6 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:09 PM

I think if you read the two links I'm going to put up, and combine the ideas out of each, you should be able to come up with something.

I can tell you how to do a quick bread in a cast iron skillet, which doesn't have dairy, yeast, or gluten, but you will have to use an egg substitute. This can be a commercial type of product or some people make their own out of ground flax meal and hot water, with a bit extra leavening such as baking soda or powder in the recipe, and maybe adding a bit of xanthan gum. This thread here, when you scroll down, look for my post and the Gluten Free Quick Bread whole grain style recipe
http://www.celiac.co...=1

I think maybe I will cut and paste it into here, anyway. This was from an April 30 2009 comment in a thread called Toasted Millet Pilaf
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Gluten Free Quick Bread, whole grain style no rice, no dairy no soy

pan. loaf. 4" x 8", oiled with olive oil. oven 350 F

2 cups total, Gluten free flour and nut meal mixture

sample mixture 1/2 cup almond meal, 1/2 cup some sort of starch such as potato or cornstarch or tapioca, the other cupful being a 3 way blend of 1/3 c amaranth, 1/3 c sorghum and 1/c millet g f flours. Inexpensive almond meal may be made by grinding almonds in a blender on high for a few minutes. Other nuts could be substituted. Highly recommend keeping the amaranth and sorghum flours in the mix. I use a 2 cup glass measuring cup and just keep adding until I have everything.

2 to 4 tablespoons whole raw sunflower seeds

2 tablespoons whole steamed millet seeds, optional (microwave w/ water)

1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste

2 teaspoons baking soda

xanthan gum ( I do not have the amount that works the best finalized yet for this pan size. try 1 and 1/4, to 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of xanthan gum. Amaranth and almond meals are stickier than other gluten-free flours )

spices/ optional small pinches of cumin and cinnamon and cloves, or a 1/2 teasp of cocoa powder

Wet Ingredients

In a bowl, beat together the following

2 eggs, or the equivalent

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons of honey and/or agave syrups, a small amount of molasses may be added for flavor

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

then add

3/4 cup of water (more or less)
______

Add the dry ingredients to the wet, or vice versa, and mix it together well, adding more water if needed to make the mix a thick cake batter consistency, not a doughball. Pour the batter into the oiled 4 x 8" pan and smooth out the top, let it rest a minute. Put into a 350 F oven and bake for about 55 minutes, check to see if a knife inserted all the way comes out clean and not sticky on the bottom. If sticky, bake some more and recheck at 5 to 10 minutes later. To crisp the bottom crust, remove the done loaf from the oven, take it out of pan, tilt sideways onto an oven proof plate, and put back in the oven for a minute or two.

Warning. The raw sunflower seeds turn green when baked, which is either charming or alarming. Do not use raw whole millet seed or you'll break a tooth. Cook them a bit first.

makes 1 loaf. Store in refrigerator when completely cooled.

FAST smaller version of above- want a whole grain bread without the hassle of waiting an hour for it to bake?

Gluten Free Quick Skillet Bread, whole grain style, for 8" pan no dairy, no soy, no rice

pan one 8" round cast iron skillet, oiled generously with olive oil. start on stovetop, finish under broiler setting in oven, on a high rack. DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED as it can burn easily

1 and 1/4 cup total gluten free flour and nut meal mixture

sample gluten-free mix: 1/2 cup almond meal. the other 3/4 cup being a mixture of amaranth and sorghum, or amaranth, sorghum, and millet flours. Make almond meal in the blender with raw nuts. If you use almond and amaranth, this recipe does NOT need xanthan gum.

1/4 teasp salt

1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon baking soda

will not need gum with this recipe if using these ingredients

pinches of spices, such as cumin and cinnamon

optional: 2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds

wet ingredients, put in bowl and beat together

1 egg or the equivalent

1 teaspoon vinegar

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 Tblsp. honey or agave, and a small glop of molasses

water to make a thick batter (will be aprox. 4 to 6 tablespoons, or 1/4 to a 1/3 of a cup, more or less)

_________

preheat the 8" cast iron skillet on the stove top with another tablespoon of olive oil, watching it carefully, you want it hot but not smoking. Turn on the oven broiler.

Add the dry flour meal mixture to the wet ingredients, and stir to make a thick cake like batter, it should pour and not be a doughball. When the skillet is hot, pour the batter into it. Cook it on the stovetop at a medium high heat until the center bubbles and the bottom is done, it will start to look cooked around the edges. (you can pry up an edge, and peek) . When the bottom is completely cooked, then put the pan under the broiler. WATCH IT CAREFULLY, do not leave it, because this part goes fast. The top will cook quickly and it is ready when it browns. Test by pressing with a finger, it should spring back. Also test with a knife, the knife should come out clean and not sticky. If the top is browning too fast, take it out for a second, turn OFF the broiler, put it back in on a lower shelf, and close the oven door- the residual heat should quickly finish baking it.

Let cool a bit and flip out onto a dinner plate. Makes 1 round quickbread. Cut into 4 wedges to serve, wedges can be split for triangle slices. Stores very well in the refrigerator.

If using the raw sunflower seeds, they will turn green when baked. this is normal and does not effect anything.

The other link will be to another blog where the gluten-free baker doesn't use eggs or dairy, and has a recipe for a gluten-free bread made with sorghum, cornmeal, and millet. She has a recipe which can be adapted to being yeast free by omitting that, and adding either baking powder or baking soda and apple cider vinegar.
http://glutenfreegod...wich-bread.html

that recipe can also be baked in the oven instead of in a bread machine

#7 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

This recipe is not quit as good as the one I use for yeast/egg bread but it is really good.
http://www.celiacchi...free-bread.html

And,haven't tried this one yet...waiting on my teff flour to come. This one looks good though.
http://aprovechar.da...ally.com/?p=228
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

#8 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

Oops, just realized this is an old thread :P
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

#9 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

recipes never really get old :)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#10 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

recipes never really get old :)

I guess you're right :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: