7 replies to this topic

#1 Spartans1960

Spartans1960

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

Which companies offer a gluten-free oats to use in baking, I have recently tasted an oatmeal cookie from WowWow bakery using gluten-free oats with dried cranberries, nuts etc., double thumbs up! Anyone have a source for gluten-free oats and any recipes. Does Authenic Foods offer a gluten-free oats? Any gluten-free baking gourmet's out there, Thanks, Doug

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

I use Bob's RedMill gluten-free oats. They're the slower cooking variety, so I usually dump 'em in the food processor first to break them down a bit. Otherwise, they don't soften up very well.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#3 FooGirlsMom

FooGirlsMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Quick Cooking Oats. They work really well even for no-bake cookie recipes :)

FooGirlsMom
When I saw this photo, I thought it truly represented my life prior to being gluten-free. It was like being rooted in place trying to survive a Category 5. Now that I am gluten-free, I feel like I just might make it :)

#4 okieinalaska

okieinalaska

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Quick Cooking Oats. They work really well even for no-bake cookie recipes :)

FooGirlsMom

Those are my favorite cookies! I was just looking for gluten free quick cooking oats. All the store had was the thick cut oats from Bob's Red Mill. If I put them in the food processer a bit will that work?

(crossing fingers!)
Amy in Alaska
Gluten Hit Girl

#5 Spartans1960

Spartans1960

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:35 AM

FooGirlsMom

I like your signature name, do you remember where you purchased the gluten-free quick cooking oats, was it at a health food store or a regular supermarket? That picture also intriqued me, since I was on a cruise recently, and was in 150-175 mph winds 300 miles off the eye of Hurricane Egor, a category 5 hurricane, off the coast of Nova Scotia. Best wishes, Doug

#6 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

I react to Bob's gluten-free Oats, which is unique, as I love and use all his other gluten-free flours.

I use a product that is from a company that is confusingly called "Gluten Free Oats" which is, they say, owned by a family of celiacs. I get it online from amazon. I can eat one or maybe two oatmeal cookies and I can use it in meatloaf or an apple crisp but I can't eat a whole bowl of oats or five cookies.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#7 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

If you can't find the oats, you can try Quinoa Flakes as a replacement. I was able to find the quick cooking Bob's at the grocery store. But if you can only find the regluar ones, a grind in the food processor works. Sounds like great cookies!

#8 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

If you can't find the oats, you can try Quinoa Flakes as a replacement. I was able to find the quick cooking Bob's at the grocery store. But if you can only find the regluar ones, a grind in the food processor works. Sounds like great cookies!

Yep. Quinoa flakes work great. I use them in ANZAC biscuits (which are traditionally made with oats) and they work beautifully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: