arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

First Menstrual Period gluten-free, Feeling Aweful!

• Please log in to reply

39 replies to this topic

#31 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

Very interesting thread. I'm 46 and gluten free for 2 years now. Last months period and this one i'm currently on has been different. More pain, heavier bleeding and I still have cramps on the 4th day. Usually the first 2 days are the worse with heavy cramps and heavy bleeding then it eases off. But not these past 2 i'm 4 days in and it's still bad.
I have never been able to use tampons. Very painful, feels like I have something jammed up inside me hitting my cervix. Plus, I can't pull them out. They're like super glue, lol. I know, TMI.
I'm hoping it's just my age and my body's trying to go into menopause. I will be so glad when I get there.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 thleensd

thleensd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

I know that my hormones are still adjusting, and my periods suck... but I just figured out after using them for two years that:

Seventh Generation Pads contain wheat!

Here is the link to the ingredients: http://www.seventhge...nts-for-nid-181

It says, "Chlorine-Free Ultra-thin Pads with Wings (and Maxi): The absorbent materials consist of chlorine free wood pulp, chlorine free airlaid fabric, and Lysorb, an absorbent gel. Lysorb, also known as SNAP (super absorbent natural polymer), is a polysaccharide derived from wheat."

Please let's not argue about whether or not you can get glutened from that. I'm not putting wheat next to any mucous membrane.

It says their tampons are 100% cotton.

By the way... I've been on a VERY strict gluten-free diet for 2 years, and I'm still too weak to work. Just changed these out last month, so we'll see if it makes a difference. Interestingly enough I've made more progress with better energy over the last month or so. Coincidence? <_<
Diagnosed 2/12/09 by biopsy after years of anemia, neuropathy, dizziness, brain fog, pain and more.
Negative blood tests (following gluten light diet)

Still healing with time, harmony, and good food.
Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

#33 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

two words: menstrual cups. (see menstrualcups.org)

My period's never been the same since I started using my Yuuki. And it's probably coincidence, but I swear my cramps have also gotten better since I started using it.

Also reusable cotton pads are gluten-free and good for the environment. :)

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#34 AzizaRivers

AzizaRivers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

two words: menstrual cups. (< click link!)

My period's never been the same since I started using my Yuuki. And it's probably coincidence, but I swear my cramps have also gotten better since I started using it.

Also reusable cotton pads are gluten-free and good for the environment. :)

I second the cups. My debilitating cramps have gotten SO much better, I don't spend $15 a month on supplies, there's nothing to throw away, I don't have to empty it every 4-6 hours...the list goes on.

On another note, horrible periods were one of my symptoms. I had always had bad ones, but year before being diagnosed my 40-41 day cycle (long, I know) began to rapidly shrink and I would throw up anything I tried to eat for the first few days. At my worst it was 20 days long with spotting in between. Gradually as I got sicker, the stomach problems started spreading beyond my period, and that's when I finally started getting checked out. When I got diagnosed and started healing, the cycle started stretching out and the vomiting stopped at the next cycle. Now, 3.5 months post-gluten-free I'm back to 41 days and I'm not sick on it; with that plus my Mooncup (just switched from Divacup because I got angry with Diva while I was learning and maimed her with a hole puncher) I'm finally having manageable periods for the first time since puberty.
Celiac diagnosed October-November 2010 (blood test negative, biopsy inconclusive after gluten-free for 6 weeks, miraculous diet results).

October 2010: Gluten free.
November 2010: No HFCS or artificial sweeteners.
March 2011: Gradually fading out soy.

#35 cait

cait

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

Just searched and found this thread from earlier this year. I've been gluten-free since May and had gotten to a point where I was feeling better. Not 100%, but definitely headed in the right direction. Then we went to visit my mom for two weeks. After two weeks of low level glutenings here and there, I came back feeling pretty lousy. I thought I'd feel better after being home, but I haven't. My joint pain is back in action, I'm super tired, my stomach is all confused and cranky, and I'm low on patience and mental energy. I may have made some mistakes in the first few days back (we're still de-glutening the kitchen, but have hopefully finished that this week), but it's been hard to tell if I'm dealing with continued gluten exposure, carryover from the two weeks, or if there's some other intolerance I need to sort out. My period finally started today after days of (omgjuststartalready) leadup. I feel like hell. I kinda remember that last month I felt a little funky before my period and then after the first day was back to normal, but it wasn't nearly this bad. Could all of this be the combination of two weeks of gluten exposure and hormonal crap? If so, is there anything I can do to avoid this in the future? Obviously, avoid gluten exposure. But besides that?
Dad has Celiac
Neg Celiac tests, positive gene test
Life vastly improved off gluten
Dunno what that makes me, but I'm not going back.
Now corn, soy, and dairy free

#36 aroche84

aroche84

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

I haven't had the pain like some of you are describing but one thing I have noticed is that it seems like I am bleeding almost 5 times more than normal. Does anyone else have this problem could it be where the anemia plays in?
~*Ashley*~

#37 Harpgirl

Harpgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

Thank you Cait for bring this thread up again! I'm not quite 2 months gluten-free and I've got my period for the first time since weening my youngest son. I've been enjoying being "period free" for almost 4 years (except for 1 cycle between pregnancies), but it seems to have returned with a vengance. For the first 2 days, I went through a tampon every 2 hours and standing up is agony. I feel like my insides are going to fall out. Not to mention I almost feel as though I've been glutened with all the cramping, tiredness and irritability. I'm glad to read that the strengthened symptoms could be from now being gluten-free and hopefully I won't have to endure this every month.
Gluten free 6/10/11
Negative blood test for celiac 7/7/11
History, genetics, and response to diet point to celiac anyway.

Syan rest wear
feasceaft funden, he s frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weormyndum ah,
ot him ghwylc ara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. t ws god cyning! -Excerpt from the prologue of Beowulf. :)

#38 Medusa

Medusa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

If it's any consolation my periods are way better since I went gluten free. They are less painful, shorter and best of all I have so much less PMS beforehand - it used to be awful and last up to two weeks before my period started. I used to feel like my hormones ruled my life - in a very negative way! They are not very regular now, but that could be because of the stress of imminent emigration... ;)

I agree with the idea that cycles have a run in time of a couple of months - it may take a while to see positive changes, but yes, absolutely gluten issues affect hormones in the body - how about the effect on thyroid levels for an example?

Gluten/wheat derivatives turn up in the weirdest places. It really wouldn't surprise me if it was in sanitary products too.

#39 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

I am very interested in this thread too. My period disappeared in March of 2010 and I've only had it once since. I would really like to have a regular cycle again because this honestly freaks me out. It just can't be normal not to have a period for this long! I'm hoping going gluten-free will help bring it back.

#40 ShawnieB

ShawnieB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

I am on birth control pills and i was only into my gluten-free diet for 3 days before starting my period and i still had one pill left in the pack. It came way early. Is this normal even if i just started the diet? Also, it seems stronger.
Diagnosed with RA in 2006
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease 2011
Gluten free since August 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: