17 replies to this topic

#16 sreese68

sreese68

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

My advice to you is to stay gluten-free and to chart your cycles. If your cycles are normal, there is no need to worry. If they are off, you aren't ovulating, they are too long, etc., you will have the information handy to show your doctor. Also, charting can help you get pregnant faster, since you can pinpoint ovulation.

Good luck!

I forgot to mention this as well. I used the Billings Method to conceive and avoid pregnancy depending on timeframe. Using it, I discovered that my period was coming too close to ovulation, so I may not have had enough stuff (technical term) lining my uterine wall to support pregnancy. (I was still nursing my second child, which caused my periods to not be as regular.) But I learned that after I was pregnant with my third. A doctor's appointment showed that my progesterone levels were low, so I used supplements temporarily. Had I not been charting, the doctor would never had known to check my level.

Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a good reference book.
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Mnsimons

Mnsimons

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Here's what I find so frustrating - I cannot get a doctor to acknowledge any kind of link between gluten and fertility.
We've been trying to get pregnant for 3 years. I have not been diagnosed with celiac or gluten intolerance. But after recently getting lab tests that showed extremely high thyroid antibody levels, I started reading about the connection of high thyroid antibodies (which is an autoimmune disease) with gluten consumption. On my own, just to see if it would make a difference with those levels and in how I feel, I decided to start taking gluten out of my diet. I do feel better, though it's only been about 8 weeks.

I've told my endocrinologist about what I've read regarding gluten and fertility and told him I've started avoiding gluten, and he dismissed it. The fertility doctor doesn't seem to think it's legit, either. Yet SO much of what I read seems to indicate that there's a definite link! It's hard to start going gluten free without having any guidance, so the internet has helped with that. But why don't doctors acknowledge the connection?

I have found out SO many things about fertility from doing my own research - and feel frustrated that I didn't know any of this before.

I think someone else stated above - and I would agree - get a thyroid work up. Not just the "TSH" (which is what most doctors consider to be the only test needed to diagnose any thyroid dysfunction) but also thyroid antibodies! Your TSH can be in the 'normal' range but if your antibody levels are high, your thyroid is being attacked and it is an autoimmune disorder and it does impact fertility.

Glad to know that others experienced good results in getting pregnant by going off of gluten. I am praying this will be my experience too.

#18 cyberprof

cyberprof

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

Here's what I find so frustrating - I cannot get a doctor to acknowledge any kind of link between gluten and fertility.

I'm not sure anyone has proved a gluten connection but there is a celiac and/or gluten-intolerant connection: It took me all of FIVE minutes to find the following peer-reviewed research papers, which should be official enough to show your doc.(Docs tend to dismiss anything that is not peer-reviewed.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1383343/

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15548153

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20537625

http://www.ncbi.nlm....4?dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18368491

Going off gluten is a good step, even if one isn't diagnosed. A gluten-free diet can be as nutrient-dense and healthy as a gluten-containing diet (in other words, eating gluten-free isn't a deficient diet in and of itself.)

From my experience, I had celiac symptoms since I was 16 or 17 and had two totally healthy babies and no miscarriages even while on gluten. My point is not to freak out if you are newly gluten-free...give it time.

If your periods are irregular or if you've had miscarriages or inability to get pregnant, go strictly gluten-free and try not to stress - though I agree it is stressful. Good luck to everyone!

P.S. Make sure to read the last link above.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: