This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

One Week Gluten Free, Feeling So Much Better, Then Saturday Night... I Think I Got Glutened...

MsCurious

MsCurious Enthusiast

Actually its been ten days now, gluten free and dairy free...and its been surprisingly much easier than I thought it would be...so far. Things have been going very well, and I feel SO MUCH better! No "D" no rumbling tummy, so much more energy, no headaches, fog feels lifted. YAY! And then Friday I had a salad for dinner... rumbling started... felt bloated... gassy... no "D"... felt really fatigued, just wanted to curl up in a ball. Saturday was worse, felt so nauseated... almost had to run to the bathroom, but managed to live through the waves of nausea, and they subsided after a couple of hours. Later in the day ... "D" ... which I have not suffered from since going gluten free (thank GOD!). Feeling a bit better this morning. Tummy has calmed down, and I don't feel "sick" ... don't feel like curling up in a ball. Starting to feel better again.

Does this sound like I got glutened? Or just ate something bad? That doesn't make sense though, because my husband ate the same things I did, and he was fine. I think the only things we ate differently were: I had green peppers (no black olives) and raspberry walnut dressing, he had no peppers, but instead black olives, and some dressing with dairy in it, and he had cheese which I did not. I read the dressing bottle,and didn't see anything that looked offensive for dairy or gluten, so I'm not sure where the contamination would have come from (although, it could have happened, since the kitchen is not gluten free yet unfortunately... we're still working on that). So any thoughts? Does that sound like a "glutened" episode? Thanks, in advance for your comments. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

txplowgirl Enthusiast

It could have been a glutening but soy AND the nightshade vegetables (green peppers) will also affect me that way also. Nightshade vegetables are potatoes, tomatoes, all peppers (including Cayenne), eggplant, okra, tomatillas, pimentos, etc

MsCurious Enthusiast

It could have been a glutening but soy AND the nightshade vegetables (green peppers) will also affect me that way also. Nightshade vegetables are potatoes, tomatoes, all peppers (including Cayenne), eggplant, okra, tomatillas, pimentos, etc

Yikes! I LOVE tomatoes... That would be harder to give up than wheat for me, I think! I've never really researched "nightshades" mostly because I don't what to know if that's an issue! LOL :P I have enough on my plate... errrr off my plate with wheat, rye, barley, shellfish, and dairy. I'm sure there "should" be more, but for now I'm HOPING it was just something else. Thanks very much for the info though, tx... I will watch for future episodes, in case that might be a cause. Time will tell, I guess. I'm much more aware of what goes into my mouth, now than I ever have been in the past, so I should be able to figure it out eventually. :blink: I don't think I have issues with soy. I'll have to monitor and see how things go in the next few weeks. Maybe it was the green peppers! :o

Igg postive Rookie

Hi MsCurious. Glad you are feeling better on the diet. Sorry to hear you had a set back. I went to a dietitian recently for gluten intolerance and she showed me the FODMAP diet since I mentioned I was better but still bloated. The FODMAP diet takes in the gluten free diet plus other food triggers that can cause symptoms. I have been on the diet for a few days and I feel even better. The diet originated from Australia and information is hard to come by in the states. There is one dietitian (Open Original Shared Link) in the states who wrote a book on it. There is a web site that is run by Australians and US mentors for the diet on

Open Original Shared Link which requires one to sign up. The diet was founded by Sue Shepherd (Open Original Shared Link) and she works with Celiacs also. Believe it or not celiacs can have fructose malabsorption in addition gluten intolerance. The diet is very limited to begin with. Then the FODMAP diet has a elimination process to figure exactly which foods (such as lactose, fructans, polyols, galactans, fructose) we individually have a malabsorption to.

Hope you feel better soon.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

What brand salad dressing was it? Did you chop your veggies on a wooden or plastic cutting board previously used for gluten? Also it may not be a gltuen thing, it may just be that you need to avoid raw veggies for a while. My stomach could not handle raw veggies and beans for about the first 6 months I was gluten free, but now I eat them all the time.

MsCurious Enthusiast

Hi MsCurious. Glad you are feeling better on the diet. Sorry to hear you had a set back. I went to a dietitian recently for gluten intolerance and she showed me the FODMAP diet since I mentioned I was better but still bloated. The FODMAP diet takes in the gluten free diet plus other food triggers that can cause symptoms. I have been on the diet for a few days and I feel even better. The diet originated from Australia and information is hard to come by in the states. There is one dietitian (Open Original Shared Link) in the states who wrote a book on it. There is a web site that is run by Australians and US mentors for the diet on

Open Original Shared Link which requires one to sign up. The diet was founded by Sue Shepherd (Open Original Shared Link) and she works with Celiacs also. Believe it or not celiacs can have fructose malabsorption in addition gluten intolerance. The diet is very limited to begin with. Then the FODMAP diet has a elimination process to figure exactly which foods (such as lactose, fructans, polyols, galactans, fructose) we individually have a malabsorption to.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ohhhh, interesting! I have wondered about fructose myself. Limited is good for me, since I seem to have so many other no-no's besides gluten. I will take a look. Thanks SO MUCH for the links, Igg! B)

MsCurious Enthusiast

What brand salad dressing was it? Did you chop your veggies on a wooden or plastic cutting board previously used for gluten? Also it may not be a gltuen thing, it may just be that you need to avoid raw veggies for a while. My stomach could not handle raw veggies and beans for about the first 6 months I was gluten free, but now I eat them all the time.

Hi GFM, It was Paul Newman's Raspberry and Walnut. And yes... I did use a wooden cutting board... previously used for gluten... :o I forgot. :( It's not the raw veggies... I love salads and eat them all the time. It was probably the cutting board. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kim69 Apprentice

Just a little bit more info on the low FODMAP diet. I went to shepherd works in Australia and had the fructose and lactose breath test. I came up as positive for both fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance. Lactose is easy to solve with a lacteese tablet but with the fructose diet onehas to avoid foods which don't have an approximately 1:1 ratio of fructose to glucose such as pears, apples, peas , onions, asparagus and more.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Hi GFM, It was Paul Newman's Raspberry and Walnut. And yes... I did use a wooden cutting board... previously used for gluten... :o I forgot. :( It's not the raw veggies... I love salads and eat them all the time. It was probably the cutting board. :blink:

Sounds like it was the cutting board. If you don't get a new cutting board right away, next time just put some parchment paper or a piece of paper towel down to cut you veggies. I ate salads a lot prior to going gluten free too...but sometimes while your gut is healing you become temporaily more sensitive to things that are hard to digest.

Igg postive Rookie

Just a little bit more info on the low FODMAP diet. I went to shepherd works in Australia and had the fructose and lactose breath test. I came up as positive for both fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance. Lactose is easy to solve with a lacteese tablet but with the fructose diet onehas to avoid foods which don't have an approximately 1:1 ratio of fructose to glucose such as pears, apples, peas , onions, asparagus and more.

Kim69, Wow you went to shepherd works. Did you see Sue Shepherd? I understand she is a Celiac too. How long does it take for the fructose and Lactose breath test? Is it a particularly hard procedure? Did you get sick afterward? My dietician mentioned going to a doctor for the procedures. Just wondering.

Archived