This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hi Guys Im New Here And Trying Experiement. Have Questions.

gonnagoGfree

gonnagoGfree Newbie

Hi guys I've been obese all my life, probably since i was born. my highest weight was 250lbs at 5'5. when i reached 21 years old i went on Atkins and lost 70 lbs in 6 months. reaching 170lbs, the lowest i ever been. thinking im at goal i could just eat under 100g carbs a day of whatever i want and maintain. long story short, it didn't work, and i put on the lbs quite fast, and addiction came back (eating many carbs like wheat flour products). now 5 years later im 245lbs again, and really sick of being fat. my LIFE is miserable being fat, society treats you bad, like your evil. went to job interviews and you get a blank face of im disgusted and i made my decision type of face, and of course turned down for many jobs. I decided to go to the gym and eat moderate carb and whole grain. i went to the gym 5 days a week for 1.5 hours for a month and half and i would eat a slice of whole grain bread and some protein right before i head to the gym. I LOST ONLY 5 lbs. something was not right. well then i decided to go low carb again and i lost 5 more lbs in 1 month with some cheats, but i notice i stalled the most and cheated the most when i had some food made of wheat products, the cravings and the stalled weight lost seemed worst especially when eating wheat. i was depressed, obese, joints feel heavy, and had a life long on and off again lower arm rash. so i saw all the publicity about wheat belly, and i read about it. now im wondering if maybe it wasn't the low carb diet 5 years ago that made me lost 70 lbs, but because it was the LACK OF WHEAT from eating low carb at that time.

so ive decided to go gluten free. im still wondering maybe im very gluten intolerant and thats why im fat? and atkins work especially well for me 5 years ago because i wasn't eating any wheat? im hoping to lose weight and normalize from going gluten free.

i remember recently eating wheat and i would crave so much and felt almost sick, and always hungry. im going gluten free and i hope it works! i can't stand being fat no more.

my arm rash is VERY persistent! im really thinking im a fat celiac. when i was on atkins 5 years ago no arm rash at all. and when i started eating carbs including wheat persistent arm rash again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

I do think you're on to something...and it IS possible that you have celiac. May I suggest a genuinely perfect book for you? It's called, "Primal Body, Primal Mind." I think you will find the explanations for your condition very plausible...and you will be able to lose weight and keep it off for good. I cannot tell you how much healthier I feel now, and I've steadily lost weight following this diet. I think this book might be the answer to your weight problem.

Twinklestars Contributor

You could very well have a problem with gluten. Would you consider staying on gluten for the time being and get tested for celiac? I only say this because although you don't need a diagnosis to be gluten free, if you do have celiac you should be tested for other auto immune problems which can occur.

Wishing you much strength in your journey xxx

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I was a fat Celiac too.

With rashes that wouldn't heal.

I'm 5' exactly and my weight was up to 200.

Since going gluten free one year ago...I now weigh 120 without any effort at all.

I totally agree with Rosetapper23.

Paleo is perfect for us.

I don't have that book, but I will be getting it.

For websites you can try

Mark's Daily Apple- lots of research there about why grains are not good for anyone and why wheat is the "baddest" one of all...for everyone...but especially for Celiacs.

I have no problem at all maintaining my weight and eating as much as I want.

It will amaze you.

Incidentally, I also was on the Protein Power diet for 5 years and did very well at 30 g. carbs a day but I didn't know about the Celiac connection...so I proceeded to live the next 7 years with excessive weight gain...muscle and joint problems, fatigue, depression, anxiety and "Fibromyalgia" that really wasn't.

Gluten was the problem all along.

A couple of things I would encourage you to do.

1. Get your thyroid checked for Hashimoto's. No one ever checked me for that in all those years...and yes, I have it. If you do have Hashimoto's it may be difficult to lose weight because of the thyroid and you want to treat that if you have it.

2. Take pictures of yourself fat. Save your fat jeans. Measure your arms, legs, waist, hips and whatever else you want to compare to your new skinny self. Because...you won't believe it and neither will anyone else if you don't take a picture of yourself now. You will lose weight and gain muscle rapidly on the Paleo diet.

It is perfect for Celiacs.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Hey, I should have mentioned this with the arm rash being peristant.

Try getting a dermatologist to biopsy the clear skin next to the lesions for DH.

If you have DH- You are Celiac.

The skin form of DH.

If you are gluten free you may not test positive, but it might be worth a try to get a biopsy.

gonnagoGfree Newbie

Hey, I should have mentioned this with the arm rash being peristant.

Try getting a dermatologist to biopsy the clear skin next to the lesions for DH.

If you have DH- You are Celiac.

The skin form of DH.

If you are gluten free you may not test positive, but it might be worth a try to get a biopsy.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice, so far so good, lost 2 lbs and my rashes are not itching and are drying down. as for seeing a doctor, i don't have medical insurance unfortunately.

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

Thanks everyone for all the great advice, so far so good, lost 2 lbs and my rashes are not itching and are drying down. as for seeing a doctor, i don't have medical insurance unfortunately.

I read your first post and then re-read it. Unless I missed something, are you eating and ample amount of fresh fruits and vegetables? That quite possibly could be the culprit as well.

For those of us who have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I don't really look at it as a "problem". Rather, I see it as an opportunity to re-think how your build your meals on a daily basis. No matter what, we are all going to be hungry and we need to feed that hunger to feel satiated (sense of being full). Why not shy away from all of those empty calorie gluten free center-of-the-store "carby" items, and instead focus on nutrient rich produce?

When you get into the supermarket, spend an extra amount of time in the fresh perishables department (produce, seafood, dairy, frozen veggies/fruit, lean meats, etc.) Keep the shopping cart away from the dry grocery aisle EVEN IF THE ITEMS ARE LABELED GLUTEN FREE! Your body will love your more if you feed it fresh perishables.

Believe me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gonnagoGfree Newbie

i just accidentally ate some sauce that had gluten in it, and dam i can feel that burning sensation inside my body especially from my chest towards my waist. Feels bad. took some pepto bismo. burning bloat sensation ughhhh. woke up next day had a stomach ache took some more pepto bismo.

anabananakins Explorer

Hi guys I've been obese all my life, probably since i was born. my highest weight was 250lbs at 5'5. when i reached 21 years old i went on Atkins and lost 70 lbs in 6 months. reaching 170lbs, the lowest i ever been. thinking im at goal i could just eat under 100g carbs a day of whatever i want and maintain. long story short, it didn't work, and i put on the lbs quite fast, and addiction came back (eating many carbs like wheat flour products). now 5 years later im 245lbs again, and really sick of being fat. my LIFE is miserable being fat, society treats you bad, like your evil. went to job interviews and you get a blank face of im disgusted and i made my decision type of face, and of course turned down for many jobs. I decided to go to the gym and eat moderate carb and whole grain. i went to the gym 5 days a week for 1.5 hours for a month and half and i would eat a slice of whole grain bread and some protein right before i head to the gym. I LOST ONLY 5 lbs. something was not right. well then i decided to go low carb again and i lost 5 more lbs in 1 month with some cheats, but i notice i stalled the most and cheated the most when i had some food made of wheat products, the cravings and the stalled weight lost seemed worst especially when eating wheat. i was depressed, obese, joints feel heavy, and had a life long on and off again lower arm rash. so i saw all the publicity about wheat belly, and i read about it. now im wondering if maybe it wasn't the low carb diet 5 years ago that made me lost 70 lbs, but because it was the LACK OF WHEAT from eating low carb at that time.

so ive decided to go gluten free. im still wondering maybe im very gluten intolerant and thats why im fat? and atkins work especially well for me 5 years ago because i wasn't eating any wheat? im hoping to lose weight and normalize from going gluten free.

i remember recently eating wheat and i would crave so much and felt almost sick, and always hungry. im going gluten free and i hope it works! i can't stand being fat no more.

my arm rash is VERY persistent! im really thinking im a fat celiac. when i was on atkins 5 years ago no arm rash at all. and when i started eating carbs including wheat persistent arm rash again.

While gluten is very likely an issue for you, if you are overweight and eating lots of refined carbs then you are very likely insulin resistant. If I eat things like bread, pasta, potatoes then I crave more and more and I'm constantly hungry. Atkins works well for insulin resistant people because it cuts the carbs that encourage excess insulin production (without the excess insulin you don't get as hungry). Therefore, it's very important you don't replace wheat based refined carbs with large amounts from gluten-free sources (such as white potatoes and white rice), since that's still going to trigger the hunger and cravings.

I second the recommendations to try paleo and the primal diet. South beach also works well, if you want something in between (i.e, still having some grains and dairy)

Archived