5 replies to this topic

#1 Darwin

Darwin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:42 PM

I have a bag or two of Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Flour. I am one of those people who can immediately pick out the bean flavor when I use it in baked goods, but I originally bought a bunch of it because it was on sale. Too bad, because the texture it produces is really nice. Does anybody have any recipes where they can stand the taste of the flour? I'm wondering if bread or anything else not meant to be sweet would taste better...Just thought I would ask. We are moving soon, so anything that we are not planning on using in the future will preferably be eaten before we move.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ElseB

ElseB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

I use it in muffins or anything else where there's a lot of other ingredients to hide the taste. We made the mistake recently of using it for molton chocolate cakes and it was terrible and disgusting! Tasted beany.

#3 Monael

Monael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

I thought the banana bread was pretty good. There is a recipe on the website. It wasn't the greatest but I also bought a whole lot of it when I found it discounted at Big Lots.

I also like the pizza crust, and am going to use the pizza crust recipe as a basis for an idea I have for focaccia. I do notice that there is a bit of a strongish flavor to it, but I think it is the strong flavors of the sauce, and pepperoni that help. For the focaccia I am thinking of putting onions and garlic cut up in the dough. I haven't had time to try it though.

#4 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

Texas Pecan-banana bread
Karen Morgan
Blackbird Bakery

4 very ripe bananas
1 1/2 cups Bobs Flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) room temp
2 large eggs
2/3 cup organic buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup pecans

Butter 5x9 loaf
oven 350
BAKE the bananas after piercing skin several times. 15 minutes at 350.
Let bananas cool, mash in bowl, set aside.
Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt mix on low speed to blend.
Add butter, on low, until blended. Add eggs and mix on medium speed until blended.
Reduce speed to low, add buttermilk, bring speed up to high until batter is light and fluffy. Add banana pulp, vanilla, and pecans. STIR to blend. Pour into loaf pan, cover with foil, bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Let cool
in pan for 10 minutes, invert on wire rack and let cool.

After note: I found this too be too runny and I used 2 cups of flour. But I didn't add it till after I was all done. I also used brown sugar. This is REALLY good!
Alice in Gluten-Free Wonderland

#5 Darwin

Darwin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:37 AM

Thanks!!! I will look into all of those things. I also have the Babycakes cookbook. I forgot that many of her recipes a use this flour. I was not impressed with the cookies, but I will take the advice of using recipes with a lot of ingredients to hide the taste. I am hoping to use all of this flour up so I am done and over with it.....now that I have been doing this for a year, I have figured out that there is really no magic flour mixture to use with everything. I have had better baked goods by buying the individual bags of flour and using the right mixture for the right thing, though it does take up a lot of pantry space.

#6 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

You might like to try baking pumpkin muffins with lots of spices -- that might hide the bean taste.
CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin
1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: