Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Uses For Bob's Red Mill gluten-free All-Purpose Flour

6 posts in this topic

I have a bag or two of Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Flour. I am one of those people who can immediately pick out the bean flavor when I use it in baked goods, but I originally bought a bunch of it because it was on sale. Too bad, because the texture it produces is really nice. Does anybody have any recipes where they can stand the taste of the flour? I'm wondering if bread or anything else not meant to be sweet would taste better...Just thought I would ask. We are moving soon, so anything that we are not planning on using in the future will preferably be eaten before we move.

Ads by Google:

I use it in muffins or anything else where there's a lot of other ingredients to hide the taste. We made the mistake recently of using it for molton chocolate cakes and it was terrible and disgusting! Tasted beany.

I thought the banana bread was pretty good. There is a recipe on the website. It wasn't the greatest but I also bought a whole lot of it when I found it discounted at Big Lots.

I also like the pizza crust, and am going to use the pizza crust recipe as a basis for an idea I have for focaccia. I do notice that there is a bit of a strongish flavor to it, but I think it is the strong flavors of the sauce, and pepperoni that help. For the focaccia I am thinking of putting onions and garlic cut up in the dough. I haven't had time to try it though.

Texas Pecan-banana bread

Karen Morgan

Blackbird Bakery

4 very ripe bananas

1 1/2 cups Bobs Flour

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) room temp

2 large eggs

2/3 cup organic buttermilk

2 teaspoons vanilla

2/3 cup pecans

Butter 5x9 loaf

oven 350

BAKE the bananas after piercing skin several times. 15 minutes at 350.

Let bananas cool, mash in bowl, set aside.

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt mix on low speed to blend.

Add butter, on low, until blended. Add eggs and mix on medium speed until blended.

Reduce speed to low, add buttermilk, bring speed up to high until batter is light and fluffy. Add banana pulp, vanilla, and pecans. STIR to blend. Pour into loaf pan, cover with foil, bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Let cool

in pan for 10 minutes, invert on wire rack and let cool.

After note: I found this too be too runny and I used 2 cups of flour. But I didn't add it till after I was all done. I also used brown sugar. This is REALLY good!

Thanks!!! I will look into all of those things. I also have the Babycakes cookbook. I forgot that many of her recipes a use this flour. I was not impressed with the cookies, but I will take the advice of using recipes with a lot of ingredients to hide the taste. I am hoping to use all of this flour up so I am done and over with it.....now that I have been doing this for a year, I have figured out that there is really no magic flour mixture to use with everything. I have had better baked goods by buying the individual bags of flour and using the right mixture for the right thing, though it does take up a lot of pantry space.

You might like to try baking pumpkin muffins with lots of spices -- that might hide the bean taste.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I would suggest you test your daughter through a doctor. The Enterolab tests are not recognized as accurate or reliable by the medical profession. See this link from the Chicago Celiac Disease Center: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex/
    • Sorry.  Something is wonky with either my connection or celiac.com! Your results are not specific...borderline.    That is why your PCP should refer you to a GI for further celiac blood tests and a possible endoscopy.  I recognize the lab report form.  Kaiser?  If so, a PCP can not order a full celiac panel.  Only a GI can do so.  Why bother?  Because if you test like me, the TTG tests are always negative.  Request the EMA and the DGPS test via a GI.   Do not be fooled by a lack of abdominal symptoms.  I was only anemic -- no abdominal issues at all.  Constipation is a symptom.  Your PCP is thinking is just historical Classic celiac disease symptoms.   Please email your doctor for the referral if you think you might have celiac disease and want a solid answer.    
    • Hello, I have frequent canker sores (roughly comes back every couple of months). Some blood test results are as following. Component Your Value Standard Range TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IgG 0.31 Index <=0.90 Index Tissue transglutaminase IgA 0.96 Index <=0.90 Index My doctor said that result is unspecific, and I unlikely have celiac disease, since I do not have other abdominal symptoms. For reference, I do have frequent constipation, excessive gas, frequent canker sore, etc. Do you think an upper endoscopy is recommended? I am a little hesitate considering the risk of this procedure and the fact that my symptoms are not that bad. I appreciate all suggestions.  
    • Hello, I see you posted this a long while ago, and perhaps--I hope-- it's no longer a matter of concern, but I thought I'd mention that shortly before I was diagnosed for celiac's, I had distinct yellow blotches on the corners of my eyelids toward my nose. Some months after I had stopped eating gluten, the yellow gradually went away, and--as it just reappeared now several years later, I googled the issue again.  I am only speculating here, but I do believe it is related to liver problems, which, in turn, are related to celiac's. I don't think liver function tests cover all aspects of liver health. I say this because when I was pregnant I developed a temporary liver condition called interhepatic colestasis of pregnancy (ICP), but my liver function tests had been fine. (The condition is diagnosed based on bile levels in the blood, not on liver function). I discovered upon some research that (of course!) ICP  can be associated with celiac's disease.  My hunch is this-- that celiac's presents two problems to the liver: 1) the malabsorption of nutrients--esp. Vit. K2-- that are vital liver health; 2) since gluten registers as a toxin to the immune system (I think?), perhaps the liver gets overloaded processing so much toxic material. Or perhaps there's some other reason. At any rate, poor liver health and celiac's do seem to be linked, according to a few articles I've found. Anyway, hope your problems are resolved now.  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jessie.Cait