62 replies to this topic

#61 Jacqueline Clark

Jacqueline Clark

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Dont they inject the Butterball turkeys with some kind of oil to make them juicy? Maybe whatever is in the oil mixture got you.

Yes, everyone needs to read, read and read some more. Call or email companies. I think Butterball was one that is not gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,233 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Yes, everyone needs to read, read and read some more. Call or email companies. I think Butterball was one that is not gluten free.

Butterball is gluten-free. You can check the website. We have had more recent discussions about turkey.

http://www.celiac.co...terball-turkey/

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#63 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Oh, late to the conversation, but figured I'd add in what info. I have on sulfites, in case it helps.

Salt can be bleached with sulfites and cause a problem. Most processed corn ingredients, like citric acid or cornstarch, is sulfited (it's soaked in a sulfited solution before processing). Grapes are typically no good due to many of the additives used during farming in grapes specifically. Some folks I know have some trouble with olives, as well, and some olive oils. Our water supply can have sulfites added, as well as bottled water, in low enough amounts that it doesn't require a label, but might be an issue if you react to lower levels. Dasani water and Perrier water are a problem for some sulfite sensitive folks. Crystal Geyser seems to be less of one.

Some sulfite sensitive folks also have trouble with foods that are naturally higher in sulfur (I believe it's due to how our bodies change this to a usable form, but I'm still learning about it, honestly.).

Foods that are naturally high in sulfur, with no additives involved, are pork, eggs, the brassica family (cabbage, radishes, mustard greens, and so on), and the allium family (onions, garlic, leeks). Fish and shellfish can be an issue.

Some in the food families are worse than others, so not all will make a person with this problem react, necessarily. It's also quantity dependent.

For folks that have this problem, the fumes from cooking foods high in sulfur can cause a reaction - inhaled or ingested, it doesn't matter, really. Car exhaust is sulfite dioxide and so if you inhale that a lot it will tend to make things worse, too, if you are very sensitive, or have had a lot of sulfites that day.

So that ham, for example, even if gluten free and without added sulfites, could still cause a problem, potentially.

There's a yahoo group called sulfitesnomore for folks who have this issue with might be of some use for you.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: