This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Could It Be?

sora

sora Community Regular

Hon, I hope you keep epipens around?

Yes, I do. And a puffer and pills.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IrishHeart Veteran

Hon, I hope you keep epipens around?

Yes, I do. And a puffer and pills.

I had to use a puffer for a while myself and my poor brother has terrible asthma, so I know how frightening it can be to gasp for breath.

Are you feeling better now, by the way?? Hope so.

sora Community Regular

I had to use a puffer for a while myself and my poor brother has terrible asthma, so I know how frightening it can be to gasp for breath.

Are you feeling better now, by the way?? Hope so.

Yes I am. So far I am having a good day. The sun is shining and everything is white from the snow, it's so pretty.

I think you are close so must be about the same there?

IrishHeart Veteran

Yes I am. So far I am having a good day. The sun is shining and everything is white from the snow, it's so pretty.

I think you are close so must be about the same there?

No snow here! None. Zip. Nada. weird....After last year, this is a miracle!! :lol:

So glad you are feeling better--maybe your de-crumbing efforts have helped knock down the exposure :)

Stay well!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

AHA!

Now that you have added WHEAT allergy and chemical sensitivity to your signature line---some of the advice regarding "gut healing" and celiac CC issues may have seemed inappropriate/unhelpful to you. No wonder you had to keep clarifying things for us! :) Now we get it!

So you are not a celiac, then? But you do have some GI problems?

I hope you are feeling better since the last posting!

Cheers,

IH

sora Community Regular

AHA!

Now that you have added WHEAT allergy and chemical sensitivity to your signature line---some of the advice regarding "gut healing" and celiac CC issues may have seemed inappropriate/unhelpful to you. No wonder you had to keep clarifying things for us! :) Now we get it!

So you are not a celiac, then? But you do have some GI problems?

I hope you are feeling better since the last posting!

Cheers,

IH

Yes, I thought it would help if I put that info in the signature.

I have been thinking about allergy and celiac this week, thinking to post some questions when I got them sorted in my head.

My first Doc appt. she wanted me to get tested for Celiac. I said I don't have that, it's an allergy. Besides I would rather put a gun to my head than eat wheat again. :(

Now as I read this board I can look back and see some things that make me think I may be Celiac too.

I have had more gut issues since going gluten-free and wondered if it was just the adjustment of diet or a new major awareness of how I react and feel.

I also look back and realize every symptom I had I put down to aging or stress, short term memory loss, pot belly, itchy head etc.

I also have had migraines since childhood and what my family called sensitivities. I could only use Dove soap, others would dry my skin and cause itch. Lots of little things like that.

I am brain foggy at the moment so I want to take some notes and then I can come back with some questions.

Generally I am feeling better but I did get a reaction at the grocery store the other day, not bad though.

IrishHeart Veteran

Besides I would rather put a gun to my head than eat wheat again. :(

Now as I read this board I can look back and see some things that make me think I may be Celiac too.

I have had more gut issues since going gluten-free and wondered if it was just the adjustment of diet or a new major awareness of how I react and feel.

I also look back and realize every symptom I had I put down to aging or stress, short term memory loss, pot belly, itchy head etc.

I also have had migraines since childhood and what my family called sensitivities. I could only use Dove soap, others would dry my skin and cause itch. Lots of little things like that.

I am brain foggy at the moment so I want to take some notes and then I can come back with some questions.

Generally I am feeling better but I did get a reaction at the grocery store the other day, not bad though.

Well, those are some celiac/gluten symptoms for sure.

You may need to avoid rye and barley and all gluten derivatives too. Not just wheat.

Just a thought. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sora Community Regular

Well, those are some celiac/gluten symptoms for sure.

You may need to avoid rye and barley and all gluten derivatives too. Not just wheat.

Just a thought. :)

Oh I have. I am fully gluten-free. It's is too hard to just avoid wheat. I have not even had oats since the beginning, can't find any gluten-free oats yet. Corn meal either so I am just using gluten-free corn flour for tortillas .

I have started a list and will keep adding as I remember things and come up with questions.

Thanks IH.

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh I have. I am fully gluten-free. It's is too hard to just avoid wheat. I have not even had oats since the beginning, can't find any gluten-free oats yet. Corn meal either so I am just using gluten-free corn flour for tortillas .

I have started a list and will keep adding as I remember things and come up with questions.

Thanks IH.

Glutenfreeda makes gluten-free oats.

also,

Open Original Shared Link

Some will disagree with this suggestion( because they say BRM makes them react) but Bob's Red Mill makes gluten-free Oats and Corn meal.

Nutsonline has gluten-free corn grits. Both have gluten-free dedicated facilities and I have no issues with them.

Avoid buying them from bulk bins like at health food stores; that's not a good idea. Too much CC.

sora Community Regular

Glutenfreeda makes gluten-free oats.

also,

Open Original Shared Link

Some will disagree with this suggestion( because they say BRM makes them react) but Bob's Red Mill makes gluten-free Oats and Corn meal.

Nutsonline has gluten-free corn grits. Both have gluten-free dedicated facilities and I have no issues with them.

Avoid buying them from bulk bins like at health food stores; that's not a good idea. Too much CC.

Thanks for this info, I will check it out.

• 2 months later...
Jacqueline Clark Newbie

Dont they inject the Butterball turkeys with some kind of oil to make them juicy? Maybe whatever is in the oil mixture got you.

Yes, everyone needs to read, read and read some more. Call or email companies. I think Butterball was one that is not gluten free.

kareng Grand Master

Yes, everyone needs to read, read and read some more. Call or email companies. I think Butterball was one that is not gluten free.

Butterball is gluten-free. You can check the website. We have had more recent discussions about turkey.

T.H. Community Regular

Oh, late to the conversation, but figured I'd add in what info. I have on sulfites, in case it helps.

Salt can be bleached with sulfites and cause a problem. Most processed corn ingredients, like citric acid or cornstarch, is sulfited (it's soaked in a sulfited solution before processing). Grapes are typically no good due to many of the additives used during farming in grapes specifically. Some folks I know have some trouble with olives, as well, and some olive oils. Our water supply can have sulfites added, as well as bottled water, in low enough amounts that it doesn't require a label, but might be an issue if you react to lower levels. Dasani water and Perrier water are a problem for some sulfite sensitive folks. Crystal Geyser seems to be less of one.

Some sulfite sensitive folks also have trouble with foods that are naturally higher in sulfur (I believe it's due to how our bodies change this to a usable form, but I'm still learning about it, honestly.).

Foods that are naturally high in sulfur, with no additives involved, are pork, eggs, the brassica family (cabbage, radishes, mustard greens, and so on), and the allium family (onions, garlic, leeks). Fish and shellfish can be an issue.

Some in the food families are worse than others, so not all will make a person with this problem react, necessarily. It's also quantity dependent.

For folks that have this problem, the fumes from cooking foods high in sulfur can cause a reaction - inhaled or ingested, it doesn't matter, really. Car exhaust is sulfite dioxide and so if you inhale that a lot it will tend to make things worse, too, if you are very sensitive, or have had a lot of sulfites that day.

So that ham, for example, even if gluten free and without added sulfites, could still cause a problem, potentially.

There's a yahoo group called sulfitesnomore for folks who have this issue with might be of some use for you.

Archived