6 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Has anyone baked with only coconut flour. I found a ton of recipes for things like brownies, pancakes and bread using coconut flour as the only flour. The recipes don't have the gums in directions either. I am allergic to corn so I can't have the gums.
It all just seems so easy. Here is one recipe. Could it possibly be this easy?!!

Fudgy Coconut Flour Brownies

1 cup butter or ghee, melted and slightly cooled

1 cup cocoa powder

9 eggs

1 cup honey

3/4 tsp vanilla

3/4 tsp sea salt

3/4 cup coconut flour

Butter a 9×13 pan (mine was slightly larger than 9×13). Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, remove from heat. Add the cocoa powder into the butter, set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Add in the honey, vanilla and salt and whisk well.

Add in the coconut flour, little bits at a time, mixing well to avoid lumps.

Add in the cocoa powder-butter mixture and whisk very well. If you do not whisk well enough, you’ll have clumps in your brownies that are yellow when the rest is chocolatey-brown. :)

Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

I made banana muffins out of coconut flour a few days ago using a recipe that Skylark posted in the "What's for breakfast?" thread:

http://www.freecocon...anana_Bread.htm

This was the easiest gluten-free recipe for baked goods I've ever made! It really was that easy. The coconut flour soaks up the moisture from the eggs and everything adheres easily. The texture was really nice. I'd serve them to people who usually eat baked goods made out of wheat flour and I'm sure I'd have no complaints. (I don't say that about every recipe!)

#3 love2travel

love2travel

ÄŒeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

I bake with it a lot and really like it. Nine eggs sounds like a lot for 3/4 cup of flour. I know that coconut flour really sucks up moisture but that just seems like too much liquid (along with all that honey and ghee). However, there is also 1 cup of cocoa.

Brownies are easy with just coconut flour and you do not need any gums as brownies do not need structure or to rise, either. Brownies are an excellent place to start with coconut flour baking (and those who read this who are new to gluten free baking in general).
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yes, it's really that easy. :) The coconut flour does want to lump up and it works best to sift it into wet ingredients a little at a time. I usually add a little baking powder to the recipes, though I would skip it on brownies. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I tried coconut flour muffins and they were good. No more hockey pucks for me! The coconut flour stuff can be a little dense, especially the "bread" but I like it.

I agree with love2travel that the recipe you've found looks like a lot of oil/eggs. Try this one from Tiana. It's similar to yours but notice how much less oil. http://www.tiana-coc...our_recipes.htm The recipes there work really well for me.

Brownies

Ingredients

1/3 cup TIANA Organic Virgin Coconut Oil or butter, melted
1/2 cup cocoa powder
6 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sifted TIANA Organic Coconut Flour
1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)

Method

In a saucepan at low heat, blend together butter and cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in cocoa mixture. Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Fold in nuts. Pour batter into a greased 11x7x2 or 8x8x2 inch pan. Bake at 175C (350F) for 30-35 minutes.

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Thanks. I can't wait to make the banana muffins and the brownies. I just ordered coconut flour, coconut oil and some cocoa butter. I found a recipe to make my own chocolate! Dairy free! Who knew!

#6 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

I really like this site ... www.spunkycoconut.com. She cooks a lot with coconut flour and coconut oil.

#7 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

it could be easy, and i will definitely try the recipes above... but i DID try coconut flour once for choco chip cookies- and it was awful... :/
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: