43 replies to this topic

#16 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:59 PM

I've been wondering if the weird/bad dreams are related to sugar and/or gluten intake??
maybe there is a connection somewhere, that we've 'poisoned' our systems, and our brains can't cope wit it.

Just a thought. :huh:
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 06:06 AM

I think for me it is either a gluten intake or chocolate that causes them for me. I very rarely have them now. My mom always tells me I watch too much news and I have really cut back on alot of that so maybe there is a correlation with what you watch. Just a thought :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#18 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:03 PM

I know after watching a scary movie, I cant sleep at all anymore. I close my eyes, and i see the scary parts and faces of the movies in my head. even if i'm not scared during the movie. and i've been SO paranoid since i've been a celiac. anything seems to make my jump. its weird. but you arent the only one..
~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#19 Niteyx13

Niteyx13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:49 AM

Since going gluten-free I have also had nightmares at least once a week, often 2-3 times a week. I also have that moment between being fully awake where I see things floating in the room, or things standing in the room. It is very scary!

#20 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:23 AM

Prior to going gluten-free I would have extremely violent and vivid nightmares almost every night. I would wake up with my heart beating so hard I thought it would explode. Now that I am gluten-free I don't seem to dream much at all.

Ian
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#21 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:53 PM

A year is a very short time to be gluten-free so far, for adults I think.

We always used to crack jokes about the dreams we got after eating cheese or pork anyway. A gut-brain connection is nothing to get excited about per se.

I'm going through a phase of very vivid dreams, not quite nightmares but very impression-making.

I decided to dialogue with my dream faculty and ask it to not scare me as that defeats the object of playing out the issues in a way I can learn from.

They are often symbolic in a corny, cheesy or witty way. I often sit up and write the interpretation and the concrete literal account of the dream (s) (usually four episodes one after the other) in the minute or two after I sit up.

Sometimes I don't bother or it slips too soon. Other times it remains realer than everything else, all day or several days.

I end up with a pile of interesting ones over a period. (Always date - including year - when writing down)

Slight fever can also give very intense dreams that may not have much meaning.

(Interpretations - apparently this is a largely individual thing)

Best of wishes

Michael

#22 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:00 PM

I started this thread is over a year old.

Now I ususally only get the terrible nightmares when I am under more stress or so.

I used to write my dreams down all the tiem but then I culd remmeber more and more when I did this and when they would be nightmares it would be worse. Sometimes I could know I was dreaming and that it wasn't real butmost times I couldn't.

#23 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:14 PM

It's not that short. In comparison to how long someone will be gluten-free, (for the rest of his or her life) it is--but I think that one year is a big step--it's usually when symptoms are leaving or have already left, when you know the ropes of the diet very well, etc. I've only been gluten-free for a year, but I already feel like I know so much about celiac, even though it's been a short time in relation to how long I'll be on a gluten-free diet--66 years if I live till 80 :)

#24 gabrielle

gabrielle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:19 PM

i can say that since i've been following a gluten-free diet that i have had some awful nightmares, to the extreme you are. I always have them closer to the morning hours, but they keep me awake and make the rest of my day awful. I don't know why i have these, or why you do either... i never thought they were because of a gluten-free diet... maybe you're on to something...

i hope you have pleasant dreams.
Gabrielle
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

#25 sally_chippendale

sally_chippendale

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:09 AM

Since finding this site i have visted nearly everyday... it s becoming an obsession i think :lol: i keep learning though... and all the wierd things about me keep falling into place the more i read about others experiences.

Even my nightmares, my mum always said shes never known anyone dream as much as me.. and i can remember them all vividly. And many a time they are so scary. I mean like axe murderer chopping my friends up scary... and waking up thinking its happened. My family look at me like mmm she should be on medication. :lol: but maybe now i can blame it on being a celiac.

it could be possible that it affects our dreams though as i keep reading about celiac disease being connected to mental illnesses and also depression... its prolly just anxiety though. <_< :o

#26 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:14 AM

Gabrielle and Sally,

Dialogue with your "dream faculty" (not in front of people!) and ask it to not be so scary, but more witty and entertaining.

I did and mine are now full of plays and words and concepts, which I enjoy ...

A vivid dream still stays with me rather strongly but I feel more in control.

Best wishes

#27 AshleyJWU2005

AshleyJWU2005

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 06:32 AM

I've been having horrible nightmares since I went gluten-free. The other night I woke up choking and was wondering if other celiac patients were having the same problems. So I did a google search and found this website. Now I know that I'm not going crazy! I had horrible dreams. Dreams of drowning, ax murders chopping up my family and then my friends then coming after me....and the nighmares keep coming! I'm going to the doctor today to see if he can do anything about these nightmares. I'll keep everyone posted on what happened at the doctors.

#28 gfincolorado

gfincolorado

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:52 PM

I've had nightmares my entire life.  Very vivid and very violent, to the point where I couldn't go back to sleep and I was sure it was real... And VERY violent... Since going gluten-free I haven't really noticed a difference, maybe they've lessened... Did anyone have nightmares before discovering that they had celiac?
Smith

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have always had very vivid dreams and nightmares and night walking ever since I was little. I figured out that BHT and chocolate are the main items that cause my nightmares. My nightmares are absolutely horrible!!! I have only been gluten-free for 2 weeks, along with my 3 children. We have not been diagnosed, but I have basically self-diagnosed myself and my children. We do so much better gluten-free, CF, nut free, corn free. By the way, even if I do gluten-free items that still contain BHT or chocolate I still get nightmares and/or sleep walking.

Hope this helps! :)

#29 dogear

dogear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:55 PM

I've suffered from not only bad dreams, but also an extreme startle respoonse and severe anxiety all my life.

To a large extent my anxiety levels have calmed down-which I always attributed to the fact I cut out the excitotoxin additives only a few months before the gluten. But now my dreams have turned from horrible nightmares to simply bizarre.

#30 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:39 AM

I've had terrible nightmares all my life, there have been times when being under extreme stress that I'd have ten nightmares a night, and would be afraid of going to bed.

When I came off gluten, lectins and salicylates (everything I'm intolerant to), those nightmares stopped completely. When I tested for those intolerances this past week, I started having disturbing dreams again.

So, I definitely believe that food intolerances and nightmares are connected. Any of you who are taking antidepressants for nightmares may want to look into this, and test yourself for intolerances other than the ones you already know about.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: