Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

My Sweet Ally Tore Her Ccl... :(

23 posts in this topic

I have quite an off topic question....

Well after months of hoping Ally (Golden Retriever) would get better I finally took her in yesterday. She injured her knee a few years ago but her CCL was only partially torn so we opted to go the conservative route. She healed extremely well. She re-injured a few months ago trying to get out of the car. The vet sedated her (she gets so nervous at the vet) did an exam and x-rays.... he determined that her CCL is totally ruptured and her meniscus also was injured in the process. He said her prognosis without surgery is not great at all. He gave us so many surgical options: TPLO, TTA and tightrope ccl were the main ones. My inclination was to go with the tightrope because I remembered reading that dogs are more likely to tear their ccl in the other knee with TTA or TPLO (due to changing the structure of the joint). Then I started reading... and now I'm so unsure. We do have an appointment to discuss all of this with the vet who would do the tightrope procedure on Tuesday... Ally will be 6 on Friday — she's energetic, dynamic and happy. I want to give her the best prognosis and I want her to be her healthy, happy self again. Anybody out there with experience with this by chance? How did you decide?

Ally is a long and lanky type of Golden — she is very tall and her ideal weight is 78-79 lbs.

TIA,

Laura (and Ally!)

Ads by Google:

I have quite an off topic question....

Well after months of hoping Ally (Golden Retriever) would get better I finally took her in yesterday. She injured her knee a few years ago but her CCL was only partially torn so we opted to go the conservative route. She healed extremely well. She re-injured a few months ago trying to get out of the car. The vet sedated her (she gets so nervous at the vet) did an exam and x-rays.... he determined that her CCL is totally ruptured and her meniscus also was injured in the process. He said her prognosis without surgery is not great at all. He gave us so many surgical options: TPLO, TTA and tightrope ccl were the main ones. My inclination was to go with the tightrope because I remembered reading that dogs are more likely to tear their ccl in the other knee with TTA or TPLO (due to changing the structure of the joint). Then I started reading... and now I'm so unsure. We do have an appointment to discuss all of this with the vet who would do the tightrope procedure on Tuesday... Ally will be 6 on Friday

Sorry. I don't know much about this. I would call the vet school, or two, at the university and see what they are teaching to fix this.

Another place to get some opinions might be a Golden or Lab rescue group websites.

Thank you both! I will watch her tail. :) They aren't totally aware of its length, are they?

I asked the vet what he suggested but in the heat of the moment forgot to ask him why. Oh yes, she needs the surgery.... I would just like to get it right the first time for her sake!

I belong to a really awesome Golden Retriever forum

So we decided on the less invasive procedure. She goes in tomorrow. I feel awful about sending her in with her feeling relatively normal and coming out the other end with 3 months of rehab. :( I just want it to be done and over... and tomorrow is Friday the 13th. Sounds silly, but I've never been able to help my mild supersticious-ness... fingers crossed!

I'm not above praying for a furry friend! :D

She'll do well. Let us know how it comes out. Will she have to wear "The Cone of Shame"?

Thank you! I don't believe she will have to. The vet said something about the sutures (dissolvable) being on the inside. She will definitely like not having to wear it. :)

I know it's hard to take our babies in for procedures. If only we could explain it to them so they'd understand? :(

She'll be ouchy at first, but if she gets the spring in her step back she'll be so much better off!

Some people think Friday the 13th is a lucky day. I hope it will be for you and Ally. :D

Yes! I desperately wish I could explain it all to her. Thank you for your kind words. I believe that she will be fine, but it is still something I wish was done and over. :angry:

I hope everything goes well for her and she heals quickly. It is hard when our fur family is ill or injured, sometimes I think it is harder on us than on them though. Let us know how she is doing when you can.

So I took Ally in this morning and left her with some food and a blanket from home. I really feel that she is in great hands... now it's just the waiting game.

Ally had puppies in 2008. She had three and we decided to keep one of them. Honey (Ally's daughter) has been walking around with Ally's stuffed bear in her mouth all morning! She's not chewing on it, just holding it. :)

Awww. I am thinking of you all today! :)

So I took Ally in this morning and left her with some food and a blanket from home. I really feel that she is in great hands... now it's just the waiting game.

Ally had puppies in 2008. She had three and we decided to keep one of them. Honey (Ally's daughter) has been walking around with Ally's stuffed bear in her mouth all morning! She's not chewing on it, just holding it. :)

Awww...how sweet.

It feels weird when you drop your fur baby off for surgery and walk out without them. :unsure:

I'm sure she'll do fine..it seems like it's harder on us than them sometimes?

She did great

She did great

:D I guess Friday the 13th was lucky for us.

:D I guess Friday the 13th was lucky for us.

:D :D :D

So good to know Ally did so well. She should improve a bit each day. It's normal for dogs to try to hide their pain. A survival instinct that's in their DNA. Make sure she doesn't overdo it..and gets the rest she needs?

She is doing really really well. He said she's one of the few dogs he know's that put weight on her leg right after surgery (we brought some sedatives home with us..). I feel so blessed that everything went so smoothly, to have such a wonderful vet and caring staff. She's on the mend. :)

With all of her fur I never realized how skinny her leg was!

Thank you guys. :)

She is doing really really well. He said she's one of the few dogs he know's that put weight on her leg right after surgery (we brought some sedatives home with us..). I feel so blessed that everything went so smoothly, to have such a wonderful vet and caring staff. She's on the mend. :)

With all of her fur I never realized how skinny her leg was!

Thank you guys. :)

Are the sedatives for you...or her? Haha :D I'll bet it feels good to have her home.

So glad to hear that Ally came through with flying colours :)

Haha is right! She is such a trooper!... she's munching on a carrot at the moment. :D

Poor girl comes home and the first night there's thunderstorms... and again tonight. "Weather, you aren't helping Ally's mindset!!" :unsure: