1 reply to this topic

#1 TLK879

TLK879

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

Hi. I am going through my OTC medications and I'm trying to figure out which ones are safe or not. Has anyone found any generic OTC drugs that are for sure gluten free? Which generic brands are the safest? I have Kroger Acetaminophen and the ingredients look safe, but I can't be sure. Does anyone know if Kroger is safe for Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen? I also heard that Kirkland is gluten free, but I'm not positive. Does any one know for sure? It would be extremely helpful if everyone could start a list of the OTC medications that they use that are gluten free. I'm hoping I can find some generic ones since brand names are so much more expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Tracey

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

As far as I know there isn't any particular brand that has exclusively gluten free medications. Even within a certain group such as ibuprofen you'll find that one pill may be gluten free and another isn't even though they're the same brand. Sadly you need to check every single medication you pick up. I'm a fan of Walgreens due to the list they keep posted of gluten free medications which is updated once a year. When I went in to pick up some Zyrtec which was on sale I picked up the store brand and it said gluten free right on the box. I don't believe all of the generics there list that, but it was nice to find allergy meds at a fraction of what I usually pay. I also picked up a bottle of Kroger brand Robitussin that listed gluten free on the box. It sucks, but we seem stuck calling on every box we intend to buy. I now make it a habit to be sure I'm never out of my "emergency" medications because if I find myself in need of something after about 3 local time I'll likely be suffering until morning when I can start calling manufacturers.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: