17 replies to this topic

#16 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Sorry for posting here first, this was just the first website where it cropped up, but I do realize now that it's something on my computer only as all the websites I'm going to have it.

Actually it's a great place to ask a question! Otherwise you might not know what's really going on.

So...you've gotten several good suggestions; Malwarebytes is an excellent tool, I highly recommend. I also second the suggestion for NoScript if you are using Firefox, or something similar if you have other browsers.

If you are not sure about looking more deeply into your computer, I also recommend a couple of sites that have great volunteer helpers (but well-trained ones) who can look at some stuff for you and tell you if there is something more serious going on. And it's FREE. I got one of the worst "bad guys" out there in malware-land that turned my computer into a spambot. It was AWFUL. They helped me clean up my system.

I have used both Bleeping Computer and PC Pitstop, I think PC Pitstop was a little faster response time. Malwarebytes has a help forum as well, and here are others, but these guys are good.

You have to sign up for a free account, (just like here) but you will NOT be spammed or harassed.

Hopefully this is not "overkill", LOL.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

I thought I'd add one of my personal favorites for Windows systems (I use Linux, but I have a WinXP virtual machine that I use on occasion), is called WinPatrol. There's a free version, as well as a paid version. And the creator of WinPatrol has specials now & then which I've seen on his Twitter feed, for upgrading to the paid version. I've only used the free version so far, and what it does is have the scout on patrol (a little dog named Scotty, there's a dog icon on the task bar), and alert you and ask permission for any changes to the system, such as new software or an auto-scheduler. If you have your speaker turned on, the permission window will also have a little 'rruff' bark alert.

And I'm not associated with the software in any way, except as a user, and I follow the guy (BillP) on twitter.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#18 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

I use a tablet on a secure server. I encountered the same exact thing last night on a post where an individual had posted several photibucket links. When i clicked on it, every one of her links took me to this random site but it was an older post and several other ppl had commented back to her in a serious convo so idt its ppl trying to advertise either. I thought it was strange and annoying myself :huh:
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: