Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Insurance, Does It Ever Cover Supplements In The Us?

6 posts in this topic

Within a week I should get the results of an nutritional evaluation blood test. It might surprise me and come back just great, but I doubt it. I have had 30 years of Celiac symptoms. I was beginning to notice that only my supplements seemed to get in to nourish me. I thought this because if I ran out of even one of them I would soon be extremely fatigued. I would be so desperate that a couple of times I drove 1 1/2 hours each way to wait for my supplements which should have come that day. When they arrived I was given a cup of water to take them immediatly.

I recall during my pregnancies insurance would cover a multi vitamin and iron. I think that US law prohibits coverage of supplements for general purposes. How about it you have a demonstratable need for vitamins because of Celiac Damage?

Ads by Google:

After you get your results from the panel your doctor drew ask him if he will prescribe the supplements you need. I am pretty sure things like B12 injections or iron infusions will be covered but don't know if others will be. While you are waiting make a call to your insurance company and ask. A freind of mine does get his through his doctor and his insurance covers them but that doesn't mean that the insurance you have will. Only your company can tell you for sure.

An hsa will.

Or, with an rx and covered in your formulary.

It would depend on the terms of your coverage. Mine would pay if I had a script from my doctor.

sometimes it depends on the strength. You can't get folic acid stronger than 800 mcg per tab OTC. Potassium not more than 99 mg per tab. Higher can be obtained thru script.