Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gi Said. I Didn't Need To Be Gluten-Free

6 posts in this topic

New to this, but 10 years ago diagnosed with biopsy that I had celiacs disease.All that was said by my gastrologist was as long as you dont start loosing weight without dieting and have cronic diarrhea no need to go gluten free.Well 10 years later bones, mustles, anemia to name a few are driving me nuts!!! And oh yeh still heavy and no diarrhea!!! Anyone else go through this??

Ads by Google:

Sorry. I split this post off because it needed its own thread. My spell check messed up the title. GI not Gina! I'll see if I can get it fixed

Welcome to the forum, libra, where you will learn that your GI is not the only one to have given such unfortunate advice. I think (trust / hope) that it is finally coming to an end, but there are still some old school types out there who refuse to update their knowledge.

I am so sorry that you were given and followed this advice, and have now suffered its consequences. As you have discovered, gluten can still be doing its damage even if you are not suffering overt symptoms. It can be very sneaky that way. I hope you have now found yourself a good doctor who is taking care of you. Have you had your tests rerun? Have you had nutrient testing for key vitamins and minerals? :)

Perhaps most importantly, have you gone gluten free and are you starting to feel any better? Please talk to us some more and let us know if there is any way we can help you.

this is one of those moments when we need a facepalm emotion. Ugh, doctors huh?

Please tell me you are gluten free, there is no need to put yourself through all that. :(

Your GI was entirely, completely, wrong. Like malpractice level wrong. Even for the level of understanding of the disease 10 years ago.

I agree with the "malpractice wrong". I wonder if they put any of that advice in writing so you'd have grounds to act on other than he said/she said. That's ridiculous advice for a celiac patient. There are no caveats on when to and when not to eat gluten for celiacs. You can't...period.