This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free For Three Weeks...major Improvements!

Oli's Mom

Oli's Mom Newbie

Just to give an update on our six year old son. His antibody tests were negative, but he did have the Celiac gene. We discussed options with his GI (who believes he doesn't have Celiac based on his antibody tests). After some cajoling on my part, he agreed to have us go gluten free for six months. He would consider a diagnosis if my son gains adequate weight. So far we have noticed:

1. A HUGE increase in his appetite! He used to take one or two bites and say he was full (thus the lack of weight gain). He has eaten EVERY meal since becoming gluten free.

2. He is so much happier and easier to be around.

3. He has stopped sweating so profusely. He used to soak the bed at night and have occasional hot flashes.

4. No headaches!!

So, I am convinced!! I'm not entirely sure why we would need an official diagnosis at this point. My son is so happy with the way he feels, he has no issues with turning down gluten-filled sweets. I can't believe after all this time it was gluten that was making him sick. I am one happy mama! Jess

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SMDBill Apprentice

What a wonderful story! It's always great when our little ones get back to their old selves. And you already have your answer for his problem whether or not the doctor agrees :) What a blessing.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Brilliant news :)

Well done for doing what you knew was the right thing.

shadowicewolf Proficient

If you are in the US, an offical dx would give him accomodations at school due to it.

Ollie's Mom Apprentice

Congrats! So glad your little guy is feeling better. :-)

Hopefully his GI will give him a diagnosis based on his response to the diet.

nvsmom Community Regular
:) Great!!
mamaupupup Contributor

Yay! Keep a great log like that! It helps the doctors say, "you're right" :) as we Mommas are 99.9% of the time :)

And to point #2: I totally get that! We look at one of our girls and wonder who she is...sweet, compassionate, empathetic, energetic...thank goodness she was diagnosed at 5! She is a different, happier little kid! That alone is worth every second I spend reading labels and baking...

Congrats!

Thinking of you all!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nicolebeth Apprentice

That's wonderful!

We're doing a trial with our 7yo right now, and aside from feeling better physically, I see many emotional things you're mentioning. He was just unhappy, pale, on edge. He looks so much better now (much more relaxed and calm).

It must be so hard for these little kids to deal with something that has been so constantly bothering them, but they didn't know any different.

I'm sure your doctor will be convinced at some point, especially with all the evidence you have.

• 1 month later...
LFitts Apprentice

I want to hear more of this! I wish everyone would post their best news!

kvanrens1 Explorer

That is wonderful news!! Our daughter had negative tests but also a very positive response to the gluten-free diet. Our Ped GI said he would be willing to provide a letter stating she had Nonceliac Gluten Intolerance for school/camps, etc. Just an option to discuss if you do not get the celiac diagnosis.

Mom2-2girls Rookie

What a wonderful post! I have also noticed a HUGE difference in how my 5 year old daughter is feeling emotionally. Previously she would have horrible tantrums and become totally unreasonable and we just couldn't understand why. It is amazing how since being gluten-free all that unreasonableness and irritability are gone.

Hope you see some good weigh tgain over the next few months!

Archived